Question for Droid2 owners; will you root

Arcadian

Reaction score
I dont think i had the phone for more than an hour and i rooted it. Lol

Sent from my R2-D2 using Tapatalk

MrKleen

Reaction score
how can blur and bloat be removed? im rooted btw

You can flash a rom that has much of it removed. But to be honest there isn't much reason to do that. If you don't want to use some of the widgets, just don't use them. I tried a rom that had some of the Blur removed and found that I actually missed some of the features so I went back to stock.

Part of the fun of all this is trying roms out and trying to find what you like. What is perfect for me may suck to someone else... I am going to try out a couple different roms today myself.

Don't forget to make a backup before you start having all your fun!

Cunha

Reaction score
I don't even have my D2 yet, but I think I will root it just to remove programs like blockbuster and whatever else is included on the system that I absolutely won't be using.

For me it will be my first droid experience, so blur won't stand out as something non kosher.

Montecarlo97z

Reaction score
i dont think im going to change roms so ill stick with the factory blur but i would like to remove apps like blockbuster and amazon mp3 and skype and stuff.. is that only possible with a rom?

MNDuke

Reaction score
i dont think im going to change roms so ill stick with the factory blur but i would like to remove apps like blockbuster and amazon mp3 and skype and stuff.. is that only possible with a rom?

I rooted am still have the stock ROM. I removed those apps with Root Explorer

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yep, if I rooted I'd stay with the stock ROM. I never have ran a custom ROM and I never will. Nothing against anybody else doing it, I just don't intend to.

pool_shark

Reaction score

Yep, if I rooted I'd stay with the stock ROM. I never have ran a custom ROM and I never will. Nothing against anybody else doing it, I just don't intend to.

Same here. I rooted weeks ago, I have no interest in alternate ROMs.

MrKleen

Reaction score
At the moment I am stock but I have a custom theme.

928droid black glass... But it is very nice!

Lord High Warlock

Reaction score
I'm still debating. I've got the technical knowledge, but am not sure if I want to risk the "what if something goes wrong" scenario. I'd like to remove a lot of the bloatware, but other than that...

I dunno. I still have to look at the pros and cons, I guess.

OP
E

everstar80

Reaction score
I'm still debating. I've got the technical knowledge, but am not sure if I want to risk the "what if something goes wrong" scenario. I'd like to remove a lot of the bloatware, but other than that...

I dunno. I still have to look at the pros and cons, I guess.

That's exactly how I felt when I first got an android device. If I mess it up, it's on me and the warranty is gone. So I decided no, too much risk for me, and almost everytime I visit the forum, there's a thread about their phone either becoming a brick of having to replace it at least a dozen times. IMO it's not worth it for me, but it does work for alot of people with no problems.

patchm00

Reaction score
That's exactly how I felt when I first got an android device. If I mess it up, it's on me and the warranty is gone. So I decided no, too much risk for me, and almost everytime I visit the forum, there's a thread about their phone either becoming a brick of having to replace it at least a dozen times. IMO it's not worth it for me, but it does work for alot of people with no problems.

I have yet to see a droid truly brick due to rooting. I have seen people say their phone is bricked(including me) only to find someone on these forums to help them calm down and fix it :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

SPerry

Reaction score
I rooted using cmd line with no problems. Then use Titanium to freeze the bloat. There was a noticeable improvement with battery life. Then deodexed so I could send 928Droid the files for his theme. That gave a noticeable speed increase. Don't plan on running custom ROMs or the leaked ones even.

OP
E

everstar80

Reaction score
I have yet to see a droid truly brick due to rooting. I have seen people say their phone is bricked(including me) only to find someone on these forums to help them calm down and fix it :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Patchm00, not saying that there aren't great people on the forum that don't troubleshoot most of these problems with a blink of an eye, but sometimes there are people that rooted and had to take their device and get it replaced. Yeah most of them are easy fixes and some aren't. That's why I put up this thread because alot of droid 2 owners on this forum are new to these kind of smartphones. I want them to see this amd see the pros and cons of rooting their phones so they do what's right for them.

redhed

Reaction score
The only reason that I'd want to do it is to remove the bloatware, but I won't because I'm so happy with it otherwise and with my luck I'd brick it.