How much faster could the Bionic be vs the TB?

MissSpiffy

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that each of the Bionic's "two brains" are not equal to the Snapdragon in the TB, so when the software defaults to one brain processing, TB blows it away. Traditionally, dual cores are better when put together, but their individual brains are smaller than a powerhouse like a single Snapdragon.

Even when your system software catches up, we still need to wait for the App developers to jump on board to fully benefit from this. How many apps out there STILL don't support move-to-sd-card function? ...and 2.2 has been out nearly a year. Much of what we do on these phones is because of independent developers, so they'll need to catch up too.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Plus, the TBolt can be overclocked, probably safely to 1.5 (but imagine if we could overclock the dual-core Bionic to 1.5!)

So this means in some cases the TBolt will be faster (my understanding of dual core is it only offers faster speed with processes that can be run in parallel). And then 1.5 vs. a max of 2.0 means the Bionic would only max at about 33% faster (but should get better battery life).

I don't expect the TBolt to have any issues streaming video, and the browsing experience (overclocked to 1.5) should be quite comparable. For most other apps, excluding games, much more is overkill. Although the DDR2 could certainly make a difference, as well, but the question is whether it will make a noticeable difference.

The TBolt would probably be my phone if it had HDMI out. I'll be doing a comparison - if the Bionic isn't noticeably faster with better battery life, TBolt's more ram and unlocked bootloader is going to win me over.

Last edited:

Suuperflie

Reaction score
I saw a video that I can't seem to find again where they showed side by side a TB and Bionic loading I think it was Madden and the Bionic loaded much faster.

shoot2scre

Reaction score
What do you guys think between the Droid Charge and the Thunderbolt?

I had a 1 year contract on the OG Droid and I'm debating if I should pick up the Thunderbolt on a one year contract (before they stop offering them). If the rumors are to believed, I could also conceivably get a Charge, also on a one year contract (launch 4/14, 1-year contracts end 4/17).

So what do you guys think between the two phones.

I figure I can buy one of these two phones, it will be a significant upgrade from my OG Droid and I will be able to upgrade again in a year. By then we should have some nice dual core and possibly quad core phones out.

Between the Charge and Thunderbolt, what do you guys think? Which phone wins out?

patfactorx

Reaction score
other than games.

What do you guys run that require more than Droid 1 power? You don't need dual-core to Facebook, read news or check email.

TheMiz

Reaction score
What do you guys think between the Droid Charge and the Thunderbolt?

I had a 1 year contract on the OG Droid and I'm debating if I should pick up the Thunderbolt on a one year contract (before they stop offering them). If the rumors are to believed, I could also conceivably get a Charge, also on a one year contract (launch 4/14, 1-year contracts end 4/17).

So what do you guys think between the two phones.

I figure I can buy one of these two phones, it will be a significant upgrade from my OG Droid and I will be able to upgrade again in a year. By then we should have some nice dual core and possibly quad core phones out.

Between the Charge and Thunderbolt, what do you guys think? Which phone wins out?

I am wondering the same, I am due on the 14th and just learned they are doing away with the one year contract.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
other than games.

What do you guys run that require more than Droid 1 power? You don't need dual-core to Facebook, read news or check email.

Why does a guy buy a Porsche when a Honda Civic will get him from point A to point B?!

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
other than games.

Why does a guy buy a Porsche when a Honda Civic will get him from point A to point B?!

Pretty much sums it up lol.

I dont know I still thinkI want the TB on a one year. I just think the price for it is kinda high. Fat chance of it coming down any though before the 17th.

maxnicks

Reaction score
I've had my TB for two weeks now. I had a D1 and then a D2, now this. I'm totally stoked with this phone. It's screaming fast. I've been so impressed with it that I've done NOTHING to mod the phone. My battery life seems comparable to my D2. I use the phone pretty heavily and can get a full day on the charge.

TB speed vs. the Bionic. I imagine the Bionic will be quite a bit faster. Thing is the TB gets to keep the actual unlimited data usage. Unlimited=infinity. no throttling and no data cap.

So yeah, I'm happy.

----
Sent from my AI using my own mediocre intelligence

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thing is the TB gets to keep the actual unlimited data usage. Unlimited=infinity. no throttling and no data cap.

Unlimited data is coming to an end any day now. Yep, any day. "Insiders" and "those in the know" have been telling us that for months now. What I DO KNOW is the most recent statement from someone with actual input to the decision (VZW CFO or something) has pointed to "later this year", like Q3/Q4.

But, of course, VZW and HTC are thrilled with people rushing to subscribe to "lock-in" unlimited LTE.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
I've had my TB for two weeks now. I had a D1 and then a D2, now this. I'm totally stoked with this phone. It's screaming fast. I've been so impressed with it that I've done NOTHING to mod the phone. My battery life seems comparable to my D2. I use the phone pretty heavily and can get a full day on the charge.

TB speed vs. the Bionic. I imagine the Bionic will be quite a bit faster. Thing is the TB gets to keep the actual unlimited data usage. Unlimited=infinity. no throttling and no data cap.

So yeah, I'm happy.

----
Sent from my AI using my own mediocre intelligence

See I doubt the Bionic will be quite a bit faster. Faster? yes probably, but probably not by as much as people are thinking. We don't know how much Blur will weigh it down, we know the current OSs and programs will not be able to use the dual core. The RAM is the wildcard. We don't know how the DDR2 will actually perform, in theory even at 512 it should be better. It will also depend a lot on how much of that is actually free. DDR2 is all fine and good, but it'll still be slow if there's never any free.

The TB has also already been rooted and OC'd. The Bionic may never be. Most likely it will be, but you will probably never have custom Kernels. Which means, in my limited knowledge so correct me if I'm wrong , that anything you load after you root it will still be over top of the original os which will limit you even more on the Memory side of things.

I like the bionic, but I dont know if I want to wait for it. Id rather get a TB on a one year and see what comes next. I just dont want to pay what theyre charging for it is all.