My "Finally switched from D1 to TB" thread

tsitalon1

Reaction score
YEAH...I did it.

Why? Well, after much thought I realized that dual/quad core processor phones really do not appeal to me. Yes, I know you can never have enough speed really, but the TB doesn't seem to have any lag, even in stock form. What do you really gain from a user standpoint?

Since I am not really a phone gamer, DC and QC CPU's with outrageous GPU's do nothing for me.

At the end of the day I just want Email, Texting, Web surfing, and HD movie playback capability with no noticeable lag. Just the simple basics. Plus this allowed me to be grandfatherd into unlimited 4g if and when VZ does go tiered.

My impressions of the TB (keep in mind I don't live in 4g area).

1. Great speed navigating the UI, no lag really (even with bloatware)
2. HTC Sense - I like it, it feels completely different from the D1 (I especially like that I can click on a contact and see all communications history from that one screen)
3. Cannot review battery life....Only had the phone about 15hrs (8 of which I was sleeping)
4. Size/feel - I like the size, however the countoured nature of the phone has not really allowed me to use my shoulder to hold it to my ear....it will slip out - be carerful
5. Screen - resolution seems noticably inferior to the D1. I haven't tried watching a movie, but did trythe lets golf game for a minute and was not impressed with the graphics really. Hopefully HD playback is much improved.
6. I have not had any GPS issues or wrong weather location issues that others have had. Maybe this is 4g related and since I don't have 4g in my area, I don't see these problems.

Issues:
We all know about the software bugs that the new update has stated to fix so I won't go into that much.

My biggest complaint as of right nw (15hrs in) would be that the USB transfer speed seems horribly slow. It took me over 20 mins to transfer just 90 songs via drag and drop...My D1 would of done that in maybe 5mins. Maybe this is a Windows 7 driver issue, IDK, any advice would be appreciated --> started a thread on this:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...horrible-usb-transfer-speeds.html#post1471416

Last edited:

tc3

Reaction score
I came from the d1 also...same here, don't really see the need for a dual core phone. I haven't noticed any slow down from the usb transferring. If anything faster on the tbolt.

This tbolt is better in every way possible with the exception of phone reception .....the Motorola did get better reception indoors anyway.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I came from D1 to a Tbolt and I do want a DC but I am in no rush at all. I can wait till my TBOLT expires before the next one.
So who know, I might end up getting a QC phone when its time for my upgrade again. but as for now, the TBOLT kicks a$$.

Beardface

Reaction score
I came from D1 to a Tbolt and I do want a DC but I am in no rush at all. I can wait till my TBOLT expires before the next one.
So who know, I might end up getting a QC phone when its time for my upgrade again. but as for now, the TBOLT kicks a$$.
And those of us who decided to up for 2 years will be rocking Octo-Cores when we're all done!

Suck on that, Quad Core junkies!

:rockon:

crackedvenom

Reaction score
Here here! Me too. I havent put this phone down since i got it lol. Hoping they get a nice working MIUI.

jr313

Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful word of 4G all of yous! glad to have you in the neighborhood!

armeddroid

Reaction score
And those of us who decided to up for 2 years will be rocking Octo-Cores when we're all done!

Suck on that, Quad Core junkies!

:rockon:

LOL
Fo Sho

Reaction score
I agree with the OP's points. I just got the TB over the weekend. I came from a D1 also. I actually like having this huge screen. Battery life is all user so I can't say much about that (no 4G in Va). The only complaint is the phone is really smooth. I'm always afraid of dropping the phone. Sense is a whole other animal compared to the D1. I was really skeptical of it but after getting used to how it works I really like most of it. My original plan was to lock in an unlimited 4G plan and just outright buy the DB but after a couple of days with the TB I can definitely wait for a while.

Oh and if I could add one thing to the TB it would be Dark Edge...

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
You will notice the battery is a very serious issue.

The USB transfer speed i insanely slow. It is actually faster to email the files to yourself or upload them to a website and download them over 4g. (literally)

As for doing the bulk transfer of all your media I got fed up with the ridiculously slow speed of the usb and I just plugged the minisd into my comp with the adapter and transferred that way.

I too was upset by the quality of the screen. If you are going to make the screen so large you should add some more pixels and make sure your battery can back it.

Coming from a D1 though its crazy how much faster the TB is!

Reaction score
i went from a D1 to a thunderbolt today. love the screen size, HTC sense is nice, although a little over the top imo. i transferred 8.5GBs of music from my computer to my SD card through USB and it took like 45 minutes, it seemed pretty in line with my D1 to be honest. the only problem i have no far is that power button is IMPOSSIBLE to press. it usually takes me 3-4 tries before i can successfully put the phone in sleep mode. i can't even imagine how hard it'll be once i get a case on this thing

armeddroid

Reaction score
I agree with the OP's points. I just got the TB over the weekend. I came from a D1 also. I actually like having this huge screen. Battery life is all user so I can't say much about that (no 4G in Va). The only complaint is the phone is really smooth. I'm always afraid of dropping the phone. Sense is a whole other animal compared to the D1. I was really skeptical of it but after getting used to how it works I really like most of it. My original plan was to lock in an unlimited 4G plan and just outright buy the DB but after a couple of days with the TB I can definitely wait for a while.

Oh and if I could add one thing to the TB it would be Dark Edge...

Northern VA carries 4G.
#Just saying

Raydee35

Reaction score
SO the screen res on the D1 is better than the TB? I am looking to upgrade this weekend but I want to do some homework first.

Beardface

Reaction score
i went from a D1 to a thunderbolt today. love the screen size, HTC sense is nice, although a little over the top imo. i transferred 8.5GBs of music from my computer to my SD card through USB and it took like 45 minutes, it seemed pretty in line with my D1 to be honest. the only problem i have no far is that power button is IMPOSSIBLE to press. it usually takes me 3-4 tries before i can successfully put the phone in sleep mode. i can't even imagine how hard it'll be once i get a case on this thing

The power button isn't that bad once you get used to it. Coming from the Droid, its actually an improvement cause its raised. With the Droid, it was flush with the casing. And actually, for me, I got used to hunting for it with the Droid, because a month or so before I traded it in, the coupling that held up the power button collapsed, and made it almost impossible to press. That wasn't any fun, let me tell you!

Johnny5

Reaction score
Just ordered mine online and hope to have it by Monday or Tuesday. Really looking forward to the faster processor and 4G. My big hang-up has been the loss of the physical keyboard, but I survived with the Samsung Omnia for almost 2 years so I'm hoping the much larger screen size will be more manageable for a virtual KB.