Question for Droid2 owners; will you root

everstar80

Reaction score
I had a general question for all you droid2 owners; will you ever root? We've heard from all the droid1 owners that have rooted. I simply don't have the desire to root even though I have statistical analyses to do for my thesis so of course it would help speed up calculations and other apps for gaming and fun. But choosing a right rooting system or rom specifications as well as making sure it would work gives me a headache just thinking about. In no way am I condemning those that do choose to root their devices. Just curious if the D2 owners want to root and if so why, is it business, pleasure, or both? dancedroid

pool_shark

Reaction score
I had a general question for all you droid2 owners; will you ever root? We've heard from all the droid1 owners that have rooted. I simply don't have the desire to root even though I have statistical analyses to do for my thesis so of course it would help speed up calculations and other apps for gaming and fun. But choosing a right rooting system or rom specifications as well as making sure it would work gives me a headache just thinking about. In no way am I condemning those that do choose to root their devices. Just curious if the D2 owners want to root and if so why, is it business, pleasure, or both? dancedroid

Many of us already. I did it because there are apps/functionality only available by rooting, such as taking screenshots. Sure you can use the long PC method, but I'd rather have an app.
I also like the Unix command line.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I intend to do it after I review the process. I enjoyed it with my D1 and I do it simply for more of the control I should have with my own phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not really scarred, but it is more complicated to root s D2 then it was a D1. I liked the fact that I could use SPRecovery in the D1 but i can't in the D2.

However there are many applications available that you simply can't have unless you're rooted and that's one of the things that makes me want to root.

1. Can't run quadrant speed test - but do I really need to?
2. Can't do screen shots
3. I cannot remove all this junk that Verizon has stuck on my phone taking up valuable disk space.
4. Some apps I've paid for like cache cleaner for rooters, a one step cache cleaner I can't use. There are other apps as well.

Already someone has come up with a way to root your D2 without using a computer. I would like to see something like dmupdater come along for the D2. If that happens, I'll probably root in a heartbeat.

On the other hand despite the 4 above issues my Droid 2 is just kicking some major butt. It feels like it was built to run with 2.2, which indeed it was shipped with, and I might add it's the only Android that I know of shipped with 2.2 so it works seamlessly. But being a moderator puts some pressure on me to root to so I can help people who are having issues with their D2 and rooting.

So I probably will, but just not now.

zoo16

Reaction score
Just rooted mine last night. My reasons (not in any particular order):
> Remove bloatware
> Free tethering
> Screen shots
> Backups
> Adfree App

Not going to do any custom ROMs or anything like that for now, but maybe in the future.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I had a D2 (which I don't) I would run it stock, just to get the feel for where Android is as a platform, straight out of the box. This is my plan for my next device, not to say I would never root it, but any new phone I buy deserves a stock run from me for at least the first month ;)

MrKleen

Reaction score
If I had a D2 (which I don't) I would run it stock, just to get the feel for where Android is as a platform, straight out of the box. This is my plan for my next device, not to say I would never root it, but any new phone I buy deserves a stock run from me for at least the first month ;)

That is the problem.... The D2 right out of the box is not an Android experience phone. Android is covered up by Blur.

In order to get an Android experience on the D2 you need to root and find a rom that is stock.... if it is even available.

The Droid 1 is an Android experience phone.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would even run blur for a few days, it is there and some people on the forum are inquisitive about it, I feel the more I know the better, although my hacking and theming nature would eventually rear it's head and then life again as I know it would come to an end,

The same thing happened with my D1, now I have found myself on a plateau of sorts, I am not ready to dive back to the bottom

pool_shark

Reaction score
I don't see much wrong with the stock D2, there are some apps that don't work the way I want, but the interface is just fine. I only switched to launcher pro to get the home screen to turn to landscape without having the keyboard out.

Mine is rooted, but I have no desire to try out new roms. For now I mainly wanted the command line and a screenshot app.

picnic_area

Reaction score
i had mine for about a week before i rooted it. mainly cuz i didnt know what advantages it gives. but when i kept reading i knew i had to, and im glad i did. took about an hour though, and scared me, cuz i kept on getting the error of having $ instead of #. but after a few tries it worked. and its super awesome mainly cuz now i can run titanium backup

Reaction score
Its done already, maybe not super useful at the moment but its fun to tinker, plus wifi tether and backup and all that jazz.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did it after having the phone for a few days, and enjoying my freedom. My D1 was rooted early on as well.

Loaded this amazingly well done theme (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/928droid/78456-theme-928droid-black-glass-x-droid-2-a.html). Also decided to deodex my D2 during as a part of loading that theme, which was a fun learning process. I have renamed a couple apps to stop them from showing up in my app tray (could have hid them w/launcher pro as well), and have edited my build.prop to modify some settings, using this as a jumping off point (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...reat-battery-life-fast-phone-full-market.html).

The theme fixed one issue that I was going to take care of, getting the most recent version of Gmail on my phone - one that has a convenient "Reply/Forward/Reply All" icon in the email header, so you don't have to scroll to the bottom of an email to access those functions, it also has performance improvements.

Pretty happy right now - might actually end up not loading a custom ROM, as I have a hard time imagining giving up the 928Droid theme.

Reaction score
I was one of the first to root, i got lucky that root dropped like 2 days after i got my D2 as my replacement for my D1.

Ive run 2 different roms and had 928droid's theme on here, also did a full deoxed of the system. But even after only having the phone for a few weeks ive come to like certain aspects of blur, i used to be on the "i want a stock rom" bandwagon but after switching to two stock-ish Android roms i found myself missing Blur. And it also frustrated me that since i have my D1's home dock and my D2 fits and works fine in it that when i ran without Blur, the weather no longer worked or the photo app in the dockscreen and that annoyed me to look at when it was in the dock. So right now I'm back to stock rom just rooted with the bloat removed.

Ultimately I'd like a stock smoked glass rom with the bloat removed and blur still in. I'd also like to have the Froyo launcher but keep the 7 screens as I'm just used to that now. Hopefully someone will have something similar to that come out but if not, you won't see me crying about it.

Though if/when cyanogenmod comes to the D2 you can bet it will be loaded on my phone

OP
E

everstar80

Reaction score
SID KELLY I was the same way when I first joined the forum. I saw all the benefits of rooting, but I felt that my phone had great speed and I not being well versed enough in the ramifications if something happened like it got damaged or a virus got picked up happened then I would be responsible and get grief from vzw. That's why I said be happy with what I got.