~OFFICIAL: FRG01B FroYo Issues/Solutions Thread~

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i know this is off topic, but do u use a task killer?

Sweettooth

Reaction score
And I know the antivirus comment was a clever stab, so I'll not dignify it further. ;)

Yeah, sorry about that. I was/am upset over other issues. Lost my sense of humor for a few minutes. The following is not sarcastic or anything other than sincere: Just enjoy your phone and if it takes a task killer to do that, then by all means use one. Again, not being snarky, being sincere (so this is what sincere feels like - weird):).

Have a good day.

Lol no biggy. I uninstalled TasKiller like I said I was going to; might I note this is the first I'm I'm without it since the 12/12/2009 so I'm feeling like a sober drug addict. I pulled the battery after uninstall and my goodness the performance was terrible upon boot up; so slow some of the icons' pictures didn't want to load. Now it seems to be coasting just fine. It doesn't seem particularly slower, but also not any faster. The real test will be time; I normally have an up time of 180 hours or so before I reboot, so we'll see how she acts around then.

I've practically hijacked the thread with this task killer nonsense; how about an issue?

I would assume this issue isn't just me but I've noticed since the update, after exiting a memory eating app or switching to landscape on the homescreens, the icons disappear temporarily, as if it's just freezing on me. This can get pretty damn annoying, especially on a phone that rides on it's speed and multitasking capabilities. Anyone have this issue or a solution? I did a real brief search btw and found zip so don't burn me too hard if there's an entire article. :)

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe the issue you are needing to look for is called "redraw"

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

droidphan123

Reaction score
numerous bugs

first time poster here, but had to register to voice my concern about what I feel is an extremely bug ridden upgrade. I understand that froyo introduced a number of improvements, but its also so full of bugs that I'm having a hard time appreciating it. I haven't read through the entire thread so I'm sure a most of these issues have been discussed, but I'm gonna go ahead and post all of the issues I've been experiencing...I'm using a completely stock motorola droid by the way, running FRG01B.

-home screen icon delay. this one is perhaps the most annoying, because it does it on a consistent basis. probably 75% of the time when I exit the browser, and maybe 50% of the time when exiting apps.

-gallery takes 5-10 seconds to load albums when opened. prior to 2.2 the gallery loaded the individual albums almost instantly, but now nearly everytime I open it, I have to wait 5 and sometimes up to 10 seconds for the albums to load. once I click on an album, however, it loads the album thumbs in the same amount of time it took in 2.1.

-home screen swiping doesn't work on the first 2 swipes after exiting some apps...this one is a bit strange. sometimes when I exit an app and attempt to swipe to either the left or right home screens, it won't register my first few swipe attempts. only after the second or third attempt will it recognize it and switch screens.

-various animation lags. I've noticed the lag when exiting apps and the setting menu, as well as within the browser when opening my bookmarks page, and when placing or receiving a call.

-general slower performance. I don't notice a 2.5x - 3.0x speed increase whatsoever. it seems as if some things actually run slower...opening the call log, settings menu, some apps, etc.

-youtube playback problems. some videos are extremely choppy when played in HQ, so much so in fact that I can't even open the menu or pause the video while its playing, so I just have to press the back button and uncheck HQ in order to watch the video.

-random browser bugs. sometimes when I reopen pages I had visited earlier, the page is not initially displayed at the top. it will show the page halfway down or something, and I have to manually scroll to the top. I have noticed, however, that pages are seeming to load faster than in 2.1. some simple forums and websites load almost instantly whereas they used to take a second or two in 2.1.

that's all I can think of at the moment. there might be a few others I'm forgetting about, but either way the ones I listed above are extremely annoying and have severely affected my general, day to day usage. did they just skip the beta testing on this release? I don't understand how an upgrade can be released that so negatively affects the performance of the phone. like I said before, I understand froyo comes with significant improvements, but id rather have 2.1 back until they fix these major issues.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
first time poster here, but had to register to voice my concern about what I feel is an extremely bug ridden upgrade. I understand that froyo introduced a number of improvements, but its also so full of bugs that I'm having a hard time appreciating it. I haven't read through the entire thread so I'm sure a most of these issues have been discussed, but I'm gonna go ahead and post all of the issues I've been experiencing...I'm using a completely stock motorola droid by the way, running FRG01B.

Your experience is not typical. I would do one or all of the following:

1. Contact Verizon and demand they fix or replace your phone.
2. Do a factory reset - might as well do this one because it is about the first thing that Verizon is going to tell you to do.

Good luck. 2.2 is a much better OS than is apparent on your phone. Your install was not a good one.

DarthBrian

Reaction score
Thoughts on new car dock

Just flipped through the 60+ pages of this thread and I only found intermittent comments on the new car dock.

My question is whether anyone has "cracked" how to change the "buttons" on the new car dock. I thought the old car dock was the pits and the new one has potential but I haven't figured out how to change it. It seems that the second page has three blank "buttons" that are just waiting to be reassigned to my liking.

Some of the early posts in this thread suggested alternative car dock programs but I'd rather stick with the home program if it's customizable.

Aside from that, it's been a pretty seamless OTA transition to 2.2 (FRG01B) on my (original) Droid. And thanks to many for the tip to dump ATK!

xxwake4lifexx

Reaction score

I'm experiencing the exact same issues and I just bought my phone in like May or late April. The home screen not registering my swipes for a few really, really irritates me.

nooter99

Reaction score

-home screen icon delay. this one is perhaps the most annoying, because it does it on a consistent basis. probably 75% of the time when I exit the browser, and maybe 50% of the time when exiting apps.

-gallery takes 5-10 seconds to load albums when opened. prior to 2.2 the gallery loaded the individual albums almost instantly, but now nearly everytime I open it, I have to wait 5 and sometimes up to 10 seconds for the albums to load. once I click on an album, however, it loads the album thumbs in the same amount of time it took in 2.1.

-home screen swiping doesn't work on the first 2 swipes after exiting some apps...this one is a bit strange. sometimes when I exit an app and attempt to swipe to either the left or right home screens, it won't register my first few swipe attempts. only after the second or third attempt will it recognize it and switch screens.

-various animation lags. I've noticed the lag when exiting apps and the setting menu, as well as within the browser when opening my bookmarks page, and when placing or receiving a call.

-general slower performance. I don't notice a 2.5x - 3.0x speed increase whatsoever. it seems as if some things actually run slower...opening the call log, settings menu, some apps, etc.

-youtube playback problems. some videos are extremely choppy when played in HQ, so much so in fact that I can't even open the menu or pause the video while its playing, so I just have to press the back button and uncheck HQ in order to watch the video.

-random browser bugs. sometimes when I reopen pages I had visited earlier, the page is not initially displayed at the top. it will show the page halfway down or something, and I have to manually scroll to the top. I have noticed, however, that pages are seeming to load faster than in 2.1. some simple forums and websites load almost instantly whereas they used to take a second or two in 2.1.

that's all I can think of at the moment. there might be a few others I'm forgetting about, but either way the ones I listed above are extremely annoying and have severely affected my general, day to day usage. did they just skip the beta testing on this release? I don't understand how an upgrade can be released that so negatively affects the performance of the phone. like I said before, I understand froyo comes with significant improvements, but id rather have 2.1 back until they fix these major issues.

Virtually everything you describe is exactly what has happened to my phone also since 2.2 "upgrade" (DOWNGRADE) I went through the tedious factory reset process and got maybe a 50% improvement! the home screen issues you describe did not improve much at all, if any. I think it's ridiculous that Google/Motorola allowed this to happen. How can a company possibly think this is acceptable?? The Droid is my first smartphone, and I thought it was the coolest thing on the planet until this whole fiasco started a week ago. I work as an engineer in the automotive industry, if any car company, foriegn or domestic, ever put out a product this incredibly inept and inferior the public and media outcry would put them out of business!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Virtually everything you describe is exactly what has happened to my phone also since 2.2 "upgrade" (DOWNGRADE) I went through the tedious factory reset process and got maybe a 50% improvement! the home screen issues you describe did not improve much at all, if any. I think it's ridiculous that Google/Motorola allowed this to happen. How can a company possibly think this is acceptable?? The Droid is my first smartphone, and I thought it was the coolest thing on the planet until this whole fiasco started a week ago. I work as an engineer in the automotive industry, if any car company, foriegn or domestic, ever put out a product this incredibly inept and inferior the public and media outcry would put them out of business!

Well working in the auto industry you probably have heard of Lemon Laws. They are in place because the auto industry does exactly what you are decrying.

What you need to understand that this hardware and the new software (2.2) is working great on millions of phones. The fact that it is not working for you yet is not reason to condemn the entire system. It is reason to get your phone fixed. Some of it you can do here. Search for "Redraw" in the thread titles and you will get some good info about home screens loading slowly.

But, the bottom line is that you have a warranty issue if the new software did not install properly on your phone. It was an over the air install after all. There are lots and lots of things that can go wrong. Contact Verizon and explain your issues. They will make you whole again.

Methos

Reaction score
Since I updated my phone no longer vibrates when I receive a phone call or a text message. I've got the vibration set to always on, but the phone is only completely silent or rings. Does anybody have any tips on what I should do?

I don't have this issue, go through your settings for sounds on your phone, make sure the volume is turned off and that your vibrate is checked off in your settings.

The problem isn't that my phone vibrates too much, it doesn't vibrate at all. So if I have it turned on silent and receive a phone call my phone doesn't vibrate to let me know so I'm missing messages and phone calls while I'm at work and have the ringer turned off.

nod2mybeats

Reaction score
Since I updated my phone no longer vibrates when I receive a phone call or a text message. I've got the vibration set to always on, but the phone is only completely silent or rings. Does anybody have any tips on what I should do?

I don't have this issue, go through your settings for sounds on your phone, make sure the volume is turned off and that your vibrate is checked off in your settings.
No, he's right. At least in my own personal experience. I have my vibrate option set on 'ALWAYS' but even though the volume rocker is set to the "Vibrate" setting, the phone will not actually vibrate when I receive a text- only when I receive phonecalls on that setting. Otherwise my phone will only vibrate when the volume is on an audible level no matter which setting I choose in the vibrate options. It's a really dumb feature, "If it ain't broke...".

Sorry, I had to keep editing that for grammar. It was hard to properly phrase that with all the exceptions.

Last edited: