~OFFICIAL: FRG01B FroYo Issues/Solutions Thread~

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta new one that just popped up today. My pictures i take with the Camera dont show up int he gallery. Any suggestions or ideas?

my wife got the OTA update on her droid this morning, after it installed and rebooted she found that when you press the settings menu nothing happens, also when you try to place a widget or shortcut on the desktop it gives you an error message. this was the Authentic OTA Update not the Manual update. we tried hard reset, battery pull etc with no luck. So any help to make it work would be appreciated!

I'm having the exact same issue. Is there any way to resolve this?

Too all of you I say: Remove any task killers and antivirus software. If that doesn't fix it then go into settings/privacy/factory data reset.

Since the 2.2 update, I've been having signal strength problem. My signal keeps dropping to 1x from time to time. This never happened before the update. Anyone has the same problem?

Where does this happen? Everywhere? At you home?

Have you updated your PRL's? *228 option 2. If it's just in one location, I recommend you call Verizon and ask them to to a trouble ticket for you. It could be a tower issue.

Also you can try switching out basebands if you're rooted.

nickelocene

Reaction score
Where does this happen? Everywhere? At you home?

Have you updated your PRL's? *228 option 2. If it's just in one location, I recommend you call Verizon and ask them to to a trouble ticket for you. It could be a tower issue.

Also you can try switching out basebands if you're rooted.

At my desk at work that where I did the comparison. I updated PRL not long ago. But I don't remember if it was before or after the 2.2 update. My current version is 51926. What's the latest one? I thought PRL only helps the roaming. Maybe I'm wrong. I will do it again hope it will help.
Thanks,

Edit: just updated PRL, same version.

Last edited:

HaLo2FrEeEk

Reaction score
I've still not solved my issue. I was experiencing horrible freezing issues, so I took it into the store and they applied a patch that was supposed to fix it. It didn't. They ordered me a new phone which arrived yesterday with 2.1 installed. I waited to install 2.2 until the new device was 100% charged. Once it was, I installed the update, only to get the same exact issues. I determined that it's an SD card issue. I can put in a 1GB SD card and it works, I can format my 16GB SD card and it works, but as soon as I put anything back on the card, it freezes. I don't know if it's something I have on the card or what, but I'm going through the slow, grueling process of putting things on one by one to see what causes the issue.

Oh, and after I got my new device, my entire download history was erased, so I have to manually find all the apps that I had installed before and reinstall them.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
At my desk at work that where I did the comparison. I updated PRL not long ago. But I don't remember if it was before or after the 2.2 update. My current version is 51926. What's the latest one? I thought PRL only helps the roaming. Maybe I'm wrong. I will do it again hope it will help.
Thanks,

*288 your phone didn't work? Okay, have you tried to reinstall the update to see if something got borked on install? If you choose to go this route, try the larger update file from the circus thread in the news section.

I've still not solved my issue. I was experiencing horrible freezing issues, so I took it into the store and they applied a patch that was supposed to fix it. It didn't. They ordered me a new phone which arrived yesterday with 2.1 installed. I waited to install 2.2 until the new device was 100% charged. Once it was, I installed the update, only to get the same exact issues. I determined that it's an SD card issue. I can put in a 1GB SD card and it works, I can format my 16GB SD card and it works, but as soon as I put anything back on the card, it freezes. I don't know if it's something I have on the card or what, but I'm going through the slow, grueling process of putting things on one by one to see what causes the issue.

Oh, and after I got my new device, my entire download history was erased, so I have to manually find all the apps that I had installed before and reinstall them.

Does the 1GB card do the same thing when you put something on it? If not, you have a bad card. If it does, your phone has an issue. Try reinstalling the 2.2 update, only this time make sure you use the larger file from the circus thread. If that doesn't fix the issue and you know 100% sure your SD card is good, take it back to Verizon and ask them to troubleshoot it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[
Thanks,

Yeah that's what I saw too. I kind of doubt it really does anything anyway but everyone says try it.

HaLo2FrEeEk

Reaction score
Does the 1GB card do the same thing when you put something on it? If not, you have a bad card. If it does, your phone has an issue. Try reinstalling the 2.2 update, only this time make sure you use the larger file from the circus thread. If that doesn't fix the issue and you know 100% sure your SD card is good, take it back to Verizon and ask them to troubleshoot it.

I know the card is good, it works fine on my computer and it worked fine for the few hours when I had 2.1 on the new phone. It's just with the 2.2 update that it doesn't work. It's done the same thing on both phones. The only thing that I put on the 1GB card was the Adobe Flash APK, and it still worked fine. I have a number of theories about why it won't work, each more unlikely than the last. I have a lot of music on the card, over 1200 songs totaling almost 10GB. Most of the songs are MP3, but some are WMA, that might cause the issue. Another thing is that I have folders left over from apps that I had installed before, but uninstalled. I mean, it could be a number of things, I just don't know. When I formatted the card and put it back in the phone empty, it worked. Then I plugged it in and put everything back on it, and it stopped, so SOMETHING on the card is breaking things. Like I said, I'm just gonna have to put things on piece-at-a-time and figure out where the issue is there.

jtpryan

Reaction score
8 second delay loading home screen...

...from any app. This is since loading 2.2. This get's annoying very fast. Has anybody seen this?

Sweettooth

Reaction score

I'm glad you pointed that out. I took out the SD card and the redraw went from being roughly 6-8 seconds to maybe 2. I even restarted the phone with the SD card removed and had the same improvement. My guess is that there could be something corrupt on the SD card, or maybe a lot of cached info that needs to be removed.

Another thing you have to keep in mind and this may not be the case for you, is that with 2.2 comes Apps to SD, meaning what with some of your app information being on the SD card, the phone is accessing it even more than before, which will likely slow things down. I've read on other threads that there are higher (and more expensive) classes of SD cards. Why Google would release such an update with said capabilities if they knew you needed a more efficient SD card is beyond me, but it might work if anyone is willing to test this.

The only other thing you could do is mindlessly factory reset the phone without inquiring into what may be an array of possible and easily correctable issues.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

I know the card is good, it works fine on my computer and it worked fine for the few hours when I had 2.1 on the new phone. It's just with the 2.2 update that it doesn't work. It's done the same thing on both phones. The only thing that I put on the 1GB card was the Adobe Flash APK, and it still worked fine. I have a number of theories about why it won't work, each more unlikely than the last. I have a lot of music on the card, over 1200 songs totaling almost 10GB. Most of the songs are MP3, but some are WMA, that might cause the issue. Another thing is that I have folders left over from apps that I had installed before, but uninstalled. I mean, it could be a number of things, I just don't know. When I formatted the card and put it back in the phone empty, it worked. Then I plugged it in and put everything back on it, and it stopped, so SOMETHING on the card is breaking things. Like I said, I'm just gonna have to put things on piece-at-a-time and figure out where the issue is there.
I have a "good" card that works wonderfully in my older digital camera but won't read in my card reader. Your card and your phone don't seem to be compatible with each other with 2.2. Why that is I cannot say, but at the price of SD cards nowadays, and the fact that your card is basically full with 10GB of music on it, I'd replace it with a 32GB card and see if that helps.

Also, the Droid only handles up to a certain speed of SD card, so there's no point in buying one that's above that threshold as it won't work any faster.

HaLo2FrEeEk

Reaction score
I have a "good" card that works wonderfully in my older digital camera but won't read in my card reader. Your card and your phone don't seem to be compatible with each other with 2.2. Why that is I cannot say, but at the price of SD cards nowadays, and the fact that your card is basically full with 10GB of music on it, I'd replace it with a 32GB card and see if that helps.

Also, the Droid only handles up to a certain speed of SD card, so there's no point in buying one that's above that threshold as it won't work any faster.

Well, I've slowly been putting stuff back on it and, knock on wood, so far so good. I restored my pictures (I had multiple folders apart from the Camera folder,) then my ringtones, the the download folder, now I'm restoring the music. I'm probably gonna have to cancel it halfway through because I have to go to work in a few minutes and it has 55 minutes remaining in the transfer. The card I'm using is the one that came with the Droid and like I sid, it worked perfectly with Android 2.0, 2.0.1, and 2.1, as soon as I updated to 2.2 though I started having issues. I think it MIGHT have to do with the fact that I had APK files backed up to the SD card in a folder called "backups" from ASTRO. I'm copying everything but those apps to the card and hopefully that works. If not then it's the music causing the issues. After I restored everything I would restart the phone and make sure it ran fine for a few minutes before putting something else. I sure hope it isn't the music...that would be a pain to figure out which song(s) is/are causing the problem.

I'll report back if I discover what the issue is.

Steve H

Reaction score
I want 2.1 back

2.1 never gave me any problems. I'm running dead stock with very few apps and now that 2.2 is here at least once a day I have to do a battery pull because of the phone freeze ups.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
2.1 never gave me any problems. I'm running dead stock with very few apps and now that 2.2 is here at least once a day I have to do a battery pull because of the phone freeze ups.
Try installing the update from the circus thread over your current install and see if that clears up your issue. There are TONS of complaints from OTA-updated phone owners about problems with lags and lockups and 99+% of the time an install of the larger update file from the circus thread over their current install fixes the issue.