"Official" Beautiful Widgets Skinning Thread

aarontliu

Reaction score
Sorry, but just to get this clear; If I purchase BW today, January 18th, I'll be able to get the free update without having to purchase another application?

aarontliu

Reaction score
Alright. Thanks a bunch. Off to purchase the app! Can't wait for the update.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
Read through this post and I'm really excited for the changes! One question I have, though: Will we be able to skin the weather images in addition to the clock background (and numbers?)

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Read through this post and I'm really excited for the changes! One question I have, though: Will we be able to skin the weather images in addition to the clock background (and numbers?)

Numbers can for sure be skinned.

I can't say for sure about the weather icons, but I would dare to say that will happen later (if it doesn't happen now, only Tama and BW know for sure)..besides, we don't want to work Tama to death, we need him for the long haul!!

Also IMHO, it is better to start simple and then ramp things up after everything is working smoothly.

This kind of stuff is never as simple as us mere mortals think it is (or wish it to be).

liquidzoo

Reaction score

Numbers can for sure be skinned.

I can't say for sure about the weather icons, but I would dare to say that will happen later (if it doesn't happen now, only Tama and BW know for sure)..besides, we don't want to work Tama to death, we need him for the long haul!!

Also IMHO, it is better to start simple and then ramp things up after everything is working smoothly.

This kind of stuff is never as simple as us mere mortals think it is (or wish it to be).

I don't want to overwork Tama either. I love his work and will continue to support it; I was just asking if it was possible in the current beta. Though, once he gets the background and numbers skinning down and running smoothly, the weather icons might (and I stress might) be easier to implement down the road.

Just like things in my job, I never assume something is going to be easy. Something or someone is always there to complicate things just enough for you to want to pull out your hair.

aarontliu

Reaction score
Um...major problem. Am I not able to purchase BW because my credit card uses a different currency? Is there any way to get around this?

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Um...major problem. Am I not able to purchase BW because my credit card uses a different currency? Is there any way to get around this?

No clue, that would be a question for the General Discussion area. I do know that others have said you can't use pre-paid credit cards on the Android Market.

At the request of the Mods, lets all please try to keep this thread "clean", i.e. only concerning skinning and sharing skins for Beautiful Widgets. This will save them the boring work of going thru and cleaning out all the "off topic" posts, Thanks!

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
how are you applying these skins?

The beta some of us have is "manual" (copying files to a specific directory we created), the Release version will be very simple and built into the Widget/app. Once the app is released there will be instructions of how to apply the skins, but it is my understanding you will be able to select from pre-made skins and also import your own or other's custom skins. Should be pretty much like all other skinnable widget/apps.

Newton122189

Reaction score
how are you applying these skins?

The beta some of us have is "manual" (copying files to a specific directory we created), the Release version will be very simple and built into the Widget/app. Once the app is released there will be instructions of how to apply the skins, but it is my understanding you will be able to select from pre-made skins and also import your own or other's custom skins. Should be pretty much like all other skinnable widget/apps.

i didnt realize there was a beta, i was thinking "there must be a manual way they are doing this" i just didnt realize you had a special version of bw

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
What about a Beautiful Widgets 2.1! I tried remaking a 2.1-like version so it'll mesh better with the stock 2.1. I don't have the beta so do you think one of you beta users could try it out? And post a screen shot or something lol. I didn't include any smaller-home-back files cause it didn't have it in the skin pack, so I didn't know lol. here's the zip file. hope it looks ok can't really tell without the beta. Oh I took the numbers from your naked skin since I had no idea where else to get them, hope you don't mind.

I figured out what happened with your skin file.

You forgot to rename the new files correctly. When you create the new image files they must be named exactly as they are in the "example" directory of the SkiDevKit.

You used the names of the PSD files and named the new PNGs "back.png" instead of "background.png" etc.

This should be more of what you had in mind, I like it!!!

1903d1263842592-official-beautiful-widgets-skinning-thread-bw-eclair-skin.png

1905d1263843112-official-beautiful-widgets-skinning-thread-bw-eclair-wide-skin.png

haha that looks cool lol! Ok I see what happened, I'll definitely make sure to fix that with the fixed up version. I'll redo the skin and make it more consistant. I quickly did this as a mock-up just to see if it looked ok, I'll definitely clean it up!

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
OK, here is a quick simple fun skin using JonKyu's "Eclair" background..

Are we allowed to change the font placement? Or is that not supported yet? How do we do it?

No. That was the Smaller Home Landscape version, it leaves a lot of empty space in the middle for "fun stuff". I just pasted the Droid logo on top of the background image and saved it.