No ICS update for atleast 2 months until around november

anwarlucas

Reaction score
That still does not change the official release dates that Motorola mobility announced.. their twitter tweet did not state dates for release.. that was the websites "speculation" as the source was being released..

dlcramer

Reaction score
That still does not change the official release dates that Motorola mobility announced.. their twitter tweet did not state dates for release.. that was the websites "speculation" as the source was being released..

True. And true dates may change. Also true dates may pass without updating their own webpage. True again I don't have an official document stating I get anything. But very true as well is that they have made statements thru very public channels that have raised hopes.

Am I waiting/hoping for an official OTA yes. I am also happy with my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
anwarlucas said:
And also, there are no contracts or legal documents stating Motorola "has" to release an update from gingerbread to googles "new" OS;ics.. they are however obligated to "fix bugs" which means they can send out patches as they currently do which gives it a updated iteration.. not a complete overhaul into a new os..

But still this is a dual core phone that currently is only operating on one core for the GB people. I think that's worth something right there, or at least it should be. It's like getting a 4-wheel drive car and the manufacturers never got to put in the front wheel drive. I've seen some misleading advertisements, but jeeze!

"The phone to rule all machines"
One of worst phone launches ever
"ICS Ready"
Still doesn't have ICS after nearly a year
"Dual Core"
Software doesn't support dual core

bbtkd

Reaction score
Maybe moto has decided Bionic will be the first device to get JB pushed to it as sort of a test bed for Razar and Droid4, and has decided not to push out ICS atall as long as were talking rumors...

If they don't do that, I have to wonder if we'll ever get JB (other than in a bottle). After this long drawn out ICS release, how excited will a downsized Moto be to spend as many months prepping and releasing JB for a phone that would by then be 18 months old, no longer sold, and being replaced by millions of then eligible users?

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
bbtkd said:
If they don't do that, I have to wonder if we'll ever get JB (other than in a bottle). After this long drawn out ICS release, how excited will a downsized Moto be to spend as many months prepping and releasing JB for a phone that would by then be 18 months old, no longer sold, and being replaced by millions of then eligible users?

JB is not coming to the bionic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
At this point I honestly don't much care when or even if ics is ever ota. My plan back in July was to get a samsung s3 dev phone but Samsung screwed that up by not releasing it. Now I wait to see what Nexus devices get released in November. Coming from an og droid and Xoom to the bionic I've learned a simple truth. Locked bootloaders are bs. You want jb on your phone a few weeks after release? Get a Ged. Preferably one with lots of developer support. My Xoom, which is older than my Bionic and still has no official jb build yet, has been rocking jb since early July. Why? Cause it's unlocked and I can flash whatever I want on it. By the time we get official ics ota on the bionic, the Nexus phones are likely to be within weeks of release if not out already. Quad core, unlockable, with jb. Yea sign me up. In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy the bionic on 238 ICS. The bionic has been an under supported, delayed mess from the start. It surprises me not that all the other phones have ICS already and we sit here delayed, speculating, and waiting. Sounds like the release of the phone itself all over again.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
bbtkd said:
Opinion? Source?

If it is taking this long just to get ics im pretty sure they wont waist the time nor the money or even the headache for that matter, to give an old phone like this a software update. There is just no way.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
JB on bionic not happening is not a given. JB is a fairly minor update where ics was a full rewrite. Moto has pledged to support phones for the 18 months that Google requests. Of course it could just mean moto takes the full 18 months to put ics out. :D Come on that was funny. No? Hmmm. :)

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
JB on bionic not happening is not a given. JB is a fairly minor update where ics was a full rewrite. Moto has pledged to support phones for the 18 months that Google requests. Of course it could just mean moto takes the full 18 months to put ics out. :D Come on that was funny. No? Hmmm. :)

Yea but it will have melted by then :p

I think we will see it soon..

Reaction score
At this point I honestly don't much care when or even if ics is ever ota. My plan back in July was to get a samsung s3 dev phone but Samsung screwed that up by not releasing it. Now I wait to see what Nexus devices get released in November. Coming from an og droid and Xoom to the bionic I've learned a simple truth. Locked bootloaders are bs. You want jb on your phone a few weeks after release? Get a Ged. Preferably one with lots of developer support. My Xoom, which is older than my Bionic and still has no official jb build yet, has been rocking jb since early July. Why? Cause it's unlocked and I can flash whatever I want on it. By the time we get official ics ota on the bionic, the Nexus phones are likely to be within weeks of release if not out already. Quad core, unlockable, with jb. Yea sign me up. In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy the bionic on 238 ICS. The bionic has been an under supported, delayed mess from the start. It surprises me not that all the other phones have ICS already and we sit here delayed, speculating, and waiting. Sounds like the release of the phone itself all over again.

This is exactly the right answer. I loved the OG Droid precisely because I could load up whatever I wanted. Lots of development gave us tons of options. Project Elite on the Droid extended the life of my phone by a year, and gave it a lot more capabilities.

All of my next phones will be unlocked as long as there is an unlocked phone to be had.

I'm okay with my Bionic as-is but I also like to hack.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Define soon. Cause both on the razr and the D4 the soak/ota didn't happen for 3 weeks after the final leak. 238 was leaked on 8/2 and the presence of the 239 engineering build suggests they aren't done. (in fact it suggests there are significant issues with the ics builds so far). So if 238 ain't it, and we haven't seen a new leak, then the time frame isn't looking so good imo. At least mid September if we got a new leak next week. I'm not expecting that to happen (which means it has a better than average chance lol). Either way, neither fits my personal definition of soon. I guess it fits moto's. Lol

rlewis312010

Reaction score
If it is taking this long just to get ics im pretty sure they wont waist the time nor the money or even the headache for that matter, to give an old phone like this a software update. There is just no way.

Bionic was just a placeholder until Razor was released. Delayed, changed, and rushed. Probably to look interesting for 4g and
dual core. Droid dx, two dual core 4g phones fore $250 at launch? I thought i had a great deal. Too bad vzw rep lied and changed deal to $600 for two. 30 phone calls lates they honored the deal. Corporate had to get involved. I wanted it all in writing and so they emailed me what they said, lmfao.

After feeling good, i see the razr ads come up and realized i was swindled. I expected another brand to release but moto? Then i laughed when RAZR maxx was announced. Only because razr people rubbed it in (some). I think it was just outside of 30 day return policy. Coincidence? No JB, and ICS wqs promised and each deadline they give comes to pass without frut. 238 is good but devs will truly care when ota is released. Had phone posted on craigslist so if it sells i get gnex and life goes on. I don't care about quad core. Dual core is good, 4glte is good, and good screen with affordable unlocked device makes most sense to me.

Last edited:

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
SamuriHL said:

Razr HD will be unlockable get that plus moto has better chipsets/ radio also it will have either the s4 snapdragon or the first ever Intel chipset i am leaning towards Intel since they tossed TI an made a deal with Intel