No ICS update for atleast 2 months until around november

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Razr HD will be unlockable get that plus moto has better chipsets/ radio also it will have either the s4 snapdragon or the first ever Intel chipset i am leaning towards Intel since they tossed TI an made a deal with Intel

Samsung, LG, and Sony Nexus phone information has started to leak. That leaves HTC and Moto if the rumors of a 5 Nexus phone release for 5 years of Android are true. We have 3 rumored now. So, I'm very curious to see what a Moto Nexus phone would look like and whether it'd be on VZW. If I have to switch networks to get a decent unlockable phone, so be it. At this point I'm ready.

bbtkd

Reaction score
At this point I honestly don't much care when or even if ics is ever ota. My plan back in July was to get a samsung s3 dev phone but Samsung screwed that up by not releasing it. Now I wait to see what Nexus devices get released in November. Coming from an og droid and Xoom to the bionic I've learned a simple truth. Locked bootloaders are bs. You want jb on your phone a few weeks after release? Get a Ged. Preferably one with lots of developer support. My Xoom, which is older than my Bionic and still has no official jb build yet, has been rocking jb since early July. Why? Cause it's unlocked and I can flash whatever I want on it. By the time we get official ics ota on the bionic, the Nexus phones are likely to be within weeks of release if not out already. Quad core, unlockable, with jb. Yea sign me up. In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy the bionic on 238 ICS. The bionic has been an under supported, delayed mess from the start. It surprises me not that all the other phones have ICS already and we sit here delayed, speculating, and waiting. Sounds like the release of the phone itself all over again.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

You must have a 4G Xoom? My Wifi Xoom has had OTA JB for weeks.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You must have a 4G Xoom? My Wifi Xoom has had OTA JB for weeks.

That's correct, yes. Bought it hour 1 the day it was released. :) Have loved it since. It's quite the toy.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
rlewis312010 said:
Bionic was just a placeholder until Razor was released. Delayed, changed, and rushed. Probably to look interesting for 4g and
dual core. Droid dx, two dual core 4g phones fore $250 at launch? I thought i had a great deal. Too bad vzw rep lied and changed deal to $600 for two. 30 phone calls lates they honored the deal. Corporate had to get involved. I wanted it all in writing and so they emailed me what they said, lmfao.

After feeling good, i see the razr ads come up and realized i was swindled. I expected another brand to release but moto? Then i laughed when RAZR maxx was announced. Only because razr people rubbed it in (some). I think it was just outside of 30 day return policy. Coincidence? No JB, and ICS wqs promised and each deadline they give comes to pass without frut. 238 is good but devs will truly care when ota is released. Had phone posted on craigslist so if it sells i get gnex and life goes on. I don't care about quad core. Dual core is good, 4glte is good, and good screen with affordable unlocked device makes most sense to me.

You would have been swindled if you got the razor cause the original was terrible.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Maddog241

Reaction score
Razr HD will be unlockable get that plus moto has better chipsets/ radio also it will have either the s4 snapdragon or the first ever Intel chipset i am leaning towards Intel since they tossed TI an made a deal with Intel

You really think this will be unlockable on Verizon? I'll believe that when I see it.

welsalex

Reaction score
As much as I would love to explore the idea of a new phone, I'm not wealthy enough to afford to do so. I'm fairly happy with my Bionic and will be using it for the duration of the contract, possibly longer. My line is on the 4gb plan but my girls line has unlimited so we might just stick it out with this phone for a while longer to avoid losing her unlimited. Im never going to pay full retail for a phone just too much money for me to spend.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
What you should say is you're not going to pay full retail for a phone UP FRONT. Because you DO end up paying for it. That's what that nifty little ETF is all about. Each month they take what, 10 bucks off it, right? The idea is that they lock you into a 2 year contract and whittle away at the ETF. When you "buy" a subsidized phone you might as well consider it leasing to own. Cause if you break your contract early, you're essentially making up the difference in retail price at that point through the ETF. So the question is...subsidized price where they own you for 2 years? Or pay retail and have no ETF and no contract? I choose the latter from here on out, personally. It's all a matter of perspective and what you're willing to accept for the "cheap phone price."

welsalex

Reaction score
SamuriHL said:
What you should say is you're not going to pay full retail for a phone UP FRONT. Because you DO end up paying for it. That's what that nifty little ETF is all about. Each month they take what, 10 bucks off it, right? The idea is that they lock you into a 2 year contract and whittle away at the ETF. When you "buy" a subsidized phone you might as well consider it leasing to own. Cause if you break your contract early, you're essentially making up the difference in retail price at that point through the ETF. So the question is...subsidized price where they own you for 2 years? Or pay retail and have no ETF and no contract? I choose the latter from here on out, personally. It's all a matter of perspective and what you're willing to accept for the "cheap phone price."

Of course I understand that! It's actually more logical to go with a subsidized phone since if you pay full retail you monthly bill is still the same price. Of course if you don't want to be locked into a contract then pay retail...

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I don't want to be locked into a contract for good reason. In the course of 2 years look how much has changed on VZW. We used to be able to get the new every 2 deal where they take even more money off the subsidized price. Gone. Unlimited data plan? Gone once you take a new subsidized phone. Prices have gone up for data, as well. My bill isn't going to be "the same price" if I take a subsidized phone, however. I pay 30 bucks a month for unlimited data. I take a new subsidized phone and that's no longer an option for me. For 30 bucks a month on data with the new plans they force you into um, let's see, I can check my email a couple times a month and maybe even look at facebook. :) Or I can just buy a retail phone and keep my plan off contract. Then I get to pay the same per month. They can keep their new limited data plans.

JayBusa102709

Reaction score
Your 100 percent correct samurai I hate verizon!!! They have taken a lot away from us and keep making things more expensive. I will buy phones at full retail and try to do my part in murdering them on data every month!!!!

JayBusa102709

Reaction score
I'll make my money back one way or another starting with downloads sounds good!!!!

virgil71468

Reaction score
Same reason i got my 2 bionics off CL. I aint payin full, retail or otherwise giving up unlimited just to have the newest phone on the block.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

virgil71468

Reaction score
Some moron on droidlife i think, actually had the nerve to say "the razr is superior to the bionic in every way." Hey pal, pull your "extended" battery out and lets go at it. oohhh snap, that's right, you Cant.......

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
virgil71468 said:
Some moron on droidlife i think, actually had the nerve to say "the razr is superior to the bionic in every way." Hey pal, pull your "extended" battery out and lets go at it. oohhh snap, that's right, you Cant.......

Ouch

Sent from my DROID BIONIC