No Droid for me because of $20.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's off. Your Droid only needs the required data plan, which covers your texting, etc.

Your other phones likely have texting included in their data plans, or as a separate add on, check that for your other phones, and go to a vz owned store if possible.
I agree and disagree with this post. I agree that your Droid only needs the required $29.99 data plan, however, what is not true is text messaging is NOT included. The only exceptions would be if you're using GTalk or GVoice or another 3rd party service. The stock text message plan is either $0.20 per text sent or received or $0.25 for a picture sent/received.

I wonder if you have a very old grandfathered plan and he maybe said you need to upgrade the plan to a Nationwide Family Share plan.

Were you at a corporate store or a premium retailer? I suggest the corporate store, or call 800-922-0204 or *611 from your VZW phone and talk to customer care.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
No you do not need to buy a texting plan in order to have a droid. Go to a corporate store and ask them about the upgrade. Even then if I remember correctly you can get the text plan put on and take it off after you have your droid.

Warweasel

Reaction score
You're saying that the $30 data plan covers texting? I'm not sure if that's the case. When my wife had her BB with unlimited data, she ran over her text limit, forcing me to upgrade it to 1500. I'm pretty sure that SMS over VZ still requires a text plan IF you want to text, but I currently have a family plan, an old one, where only my wife has texting. I don't have them on my phone since I'm overseas and it would be a complete waste. If you know something different, and it can save me $15/mo, I'd be grateful for the info. Thanks!

He's off. Your Droid only needs the required data plan, which covers your texting, etc.

Your other phones likely have texting included in their data plans, or as a separate add on, check that for your other phones, and go to a vz owned store if possible.

MrTommy

Reaction score
I never did any texting on my old phone. Couldn't care less. Enter the Droid. I was taken kicking and screaming to the world of texting. Now I'm addicted and text and send pics and vids all day long - ha. Whodda thunk? Hell, I wasn't even sure I wanted the Droid with the mandatory $30 data plan. Now I can't imagine life without it, and my wife (who works with computers all day and can't stand them) is toying with upgrading this week to a 'smart phone'. GASP!!:icon_ poke:

And, I don't recall if I had to ante up for the texting plan or not. I'll have to check when I go with my wife to get her new phone.

Threepio

Reaction score
why would you get a droid if you arent going to utilize it for texting and email and what not.

junpar

Reaction score
the data plan does NOT cover texting. Texting and data are two different things. Of course you can get the data plan and use a program such as textplus or one of those that are on the market that use data.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ah, I've no heartache there, I could be wrong, but I'll look at our plan, the plan I have may have unlimited text...

Penguissimo

Reaction score
nthing the "rep doesn't know what he's talking about" thing. Data plan is required; SMS plan is absolutely not.

Warweasel

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll second (or third, or fourth) the fact that you need a separate SMS plan. My wife just tried to send a text from my phone to hers, and it gave her a "message could not be sent" message, since I have no text plan on mine.

modette

Reaction score
I too have no text plan, nor does the wife when we got our Droids...it is not required as others have said.

I have never sent a text and neither has the wife. And now with SmartPhones and Gmail email...why would I need text!!! I'll just send an email, which is included under the $30 a month per phone data plan.

Texting is overrated, I have had a few family send me text, I delete them without opening and then email them and say "sorry no text plan". I really do not want people sending me one liners with piss poor spelling.

Oh by the way call VZW and deal with their customer service over the phone, they are always helpful. I have found the Corp Stores lacking in educated employees. However my Costco VZW booth employees were well informed on all the phones they carried.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I never did any texting on my old phone. Couldn't care less. Enter the Droid. I was taken kicking and screaming to the world of texting. Now I'm addicted and text and send pics and vids all day long - ha. Whodda thunk? Hell, I wasn't even sure I wanted the Droid with the mandatory $30 data plan. Now I can't imagine life without it, and my wife (who works with computers all day and can't stand them) is toying with upgrading this week to a 'smart phone'. GASP!!:icon_ poke:

And, I don't recall if I had to ante up for the texting plan or not. I'll have to check when I go with my wife to get her new phone.

Well said, I feel the same. I sent maybe 20 texts before I got the Droid.

I'm in the thousands now.

OP
P

PapaDeuce

Reaction score

I agree and disagree with this post. I agree that your Droid only needs the required $29.99 data plan, however, what is not true is text messaging is NOT included. The only exceptions would be if you're using GTalk or GVoice or another 3rd party service. The stock text message plan is either $0.20 per text sent or received or $0.25 for a picture sent/received.

I wonder if you have a very old grandfathered plan and he maybe said you need to upgrade the plan to a Nationwide Family Share plan.

Were you at a corporate store or a premium retailer? I suggest the corporate store, or call 800-922-0204 or *611 from your VZW phone and talk to customer care.

I was at a premium retailer. Yes, I have an old plan. about 10 years old. But he made no mention of that.

OP
P

PapaDeuce

Reaction score
You're saying that the $30 data plan covers texting? I'm not sure if that's the case. When my wife had her BB with unlimited data, she ran over her text limit, forcing me to upgrade it to 1500. I'm pretty sure that SMS over VZ still requires a text plan IF you want to text, but I currently have a family plan, an old one, where only my wife has texting. I don't have them on my phone since I'm overseas and it would be a complete waste. If you know something different, and it can save me $15/mo, I'd be grateful for the info. Thanks!

No. I am saying I have a $30 data plan for each of my two BB's .He wants to charge me $20 to add texting to all 5 phones... $ per phone.