No Droid for me because of $20.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
You're saying that the $30 data plan covers texting? I'm not sure if that's the case. When my wife had her BB with unlimited data, she ran over her te

No. I am saying I have a $30 data plan for each of my two BB's .He wants to charge me $20 to add texting to all 5 phones... $ per phone.

Texting plan is never mandatory. Go to a corporate verizon store and you can upgrade without adding the text messaging.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's off. Your Droid only needs the required data plan, which covers your texting, etc.

Your other phones likely have texting included in their data plans, or as a separate add on, check that for your other phones, and go to a vz owned store if possible.
I agree and disagree with this post. I agree that your Droid only needs the required $29.99 data plan, however, what is not true is text messaging is NOT included. The only exceptions would be if you're using GTalk or GVoice or another 3rd party service. The stock text message plan is either $0.20 per text sent or received or $0.25 for a picture sent/received.

I wonder if you have a very old grandfathered plan and he maybe said you need to upgrade the plan to a Nationwide Family Share plan.

Were you at a corporate store or a premium retailer? I suggest the corporate store, or call 800-922-0204 or *611 from your VZW phone and talk to customer care.

I was at a premium retailer. Yes, I have an old plan. about 10 years old. But he made no mention of that.
In my humble opinion, I believe the person was trying to upsell you.

OP
P

PapaDeuce

Reaction score
I agree and disagree with this post. I agree that your Droid only needs the required $29.99 data plan, however, what is not true is text messaging is NOT included. The only exceptions would be if you're using GTalk or GVoice or another 3rd party service. The stock text message plan is either $0.20 per text sent or received or $0.25 for a picture sent/received.

I wonder if you have a very old grandfathered plan and he maybe said you need to upgrade the plan to a Nationwide Family Share plan.

Were you at a corporate store or a premium retailer? I suggest the corporate store, or call 800-922-0204 or *611 from your VZW phone and talk to customer care.

I was at a premium retailer. Yes, I have an old plan. about 10 years old. But he made no mention of that.
In my humble opinion, I believe the person was trying to upsell you.

If so, he lost a sure sale. I was REALLY excited about getting a new phone. And I told him the MOMENT I MET HIM that I would not buy the phone if it involved any increase in what I already pay.

Verizon already gets $400 ( roughly ) a month from us as we have the full FIOS package, including internet, and home phone, plus this 5 phone plan.

nextgen1

Reaction score
My family is on a 5 phone family plan. And we have 2 phones with data plans @ an extra $30 each for the phones.... our base monthly bill is $130. Then add all the taxes and stuff and it comes to ~ $160.

So I went to buy my Droid today and the guy tells me that I MUST upgrade to include a $20 a month family text plan. In my entire life I have sent exactly ONE TEXT, and received about 10 texts. ( in about 18 years of having a phone ) Nobody uses text on any of our 5 phones.

I can't justify $240 a year for texting I will never use. Sigh. I am so disappointed.

OK its official Papa your on every board in the world lol. Get the droid son screw that verizon guy you don't buy the text if you dont want it.

OP
P

PapaDeuce

Reaction score
My family is on a 5 phone family plan. And we have 2 phones with data plans @ an extra $30 each for the phones.... our base monthly bill is $130. Then add all the taxes and stuff and it comes to ~ $160.

So I went to buy my Droid today and the guy tells me that I MUST upgrade to include a $20 a month family text plan. In my entire life I have sent exactly ONE TEXT, and received about 10 texts. ( in about 18 years of having a phone ) Nobody uses text on any of our 5 phones.

I can't justify $240 a year for texting I will never use. Sigh. I am so disappointed.

OK its official Papa your on every board in the world lol. Get the droid son screw that verizon guy you don't buy the text if you dont want it.

You too, it seems, buddy! :)

Dxun

Reaction score
Never heard of it being mandatory to purchase a texting plan. Verizon is more than happy to take the .20 per text if you choose to use it. I learned my lesson the hard way and ended up spending the $20 a month.

KillerBug

Reaction score
"why would you get a droid if you arent going to utilize it for texting and email and what not"

The email works just like the texting...only in a less annoying way. Why would you pay for texting when email does the same job better for free?

aldeghij

Reaction score
Wait, i thought it was just the unlimited data plan, which includes texting, email, and internet $30/mo. That's what i have.

OP
P

PapaDeuce

Reaction score
Wait, i thought it was just the unlimited data plan, which includes texting, email, and internet $30/mo. That's what i have.

Data plan does NOT include texting.

Know why? Because texting is THE HIGHEST profit item. 100 average texts uses less bandwidth that a single 1 minute call. I read this in the local paper.

Kevinb84

Reaction score
Haha, it never ceases to amaze me how far some people will go to lose a sale. A co-worker of mine does that **** all the time and I'm not quite sure why. Yeah, you get commission on the Text package, however with you leaving the store that sales rep acquired no sale at all.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does the mandatory data plan include texts?

If you had a google voice invite you would have unlimited text from your data plan. for free lol.
If you only use GV for SMS. It won't make using the stock Messaging app (or Handcent, Chomp, etc) free.

Texting is overrated
Not finding something useful != overrated.

why would you get a droid if you arent going to utilize it for texting and email and what not.
Why would you assume that everyone uses their smartphone in exactly the same way as you?

Last edited:

Threepio

Reaction score
Why would you assume that everyone uses their smartphone in exactly the same way as you?

Im not assuming, i just think that the phone is meant for texting and emailing as well as all the applications it can run. but texting an email is prolly around 65% of time spent using the phone. If all you want is a phone that can make calls. get a regular phone. if you want something for apps and what not....get an ipod touch.