Verizon Data Plans

PatG

Reaction score
It seems like Verizon is just trying to squeeze more money out of everyone. I got the Droid a few months ago and love it; even on a $30 month plan. I have the Verizon Family share plan with unlimited texting (2 teens). Now my daughter wants to upgrade her phone to the Env3 (she that the ENV2), and I need to pony up another $10 month? For a texting phone on a plan where I already have unlimited texting?

What's up with that.

I haven't seen any benefit to the "new" plans they came out with.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally haven't seen the new plans they've come out with....but I heard they were raising some things...

But on that new commercial, it says they lowered voice plans from 99 to 69....but I think thats for new customers only

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
OOOPs - I posted in the wrong forum. Moderator, please move to the General discussion forum.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I personally haven't seen the new plans they've come out with....but I heard they were raising some things...

But on that new commercial, it says they lowered voice plans from 99 to 69....but I think thats for new customers only

Data plan rates are the same whether or not you a new customer or not.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Ohhhh....IMO I think the data plan is worth it though cause what would be the point in having these kind of phones without it ya know? I mean I'm just saying that if they wanted to, they could probably make it a lot more expensive if they wanted to...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Ohhhh....IMO I think the data plan is worth it though cause what would be the point in having these kind of phones without it ya know? I mean I'm just saying that if they wanted to, they could probably make it a lot more expensive if they wanted to...

Yes, absolutely. Phone wouldn't be a smart phone without Data. And don't get me started since right now I'm having issues with that.:mad:

G

gatewayad

Plus they will let you change your plan as many times as you want to.

M

Matth3w

Different phones use the different internet plans. It kinda sucks, unless you only have phones like the enV3 then it saves you money. But my wife has the LG Dare and of course we can't share internet.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It seems like Verizon is just trying to squeeze more money out of everyone. I got the Droid a few months ago and love it; even on a $30 month plan. I have the Verizon Family share plan with unlimited texting (2 teens). Now my daughter wants to upgrade her phone to the Env3 (she that the ENV2), and I need to pony up another $10 month? For a texting phone on a plan where I already have unlimited texting?

What's up with that.

I haven't seen any benefit to the "new" plans they came out with.

Not to bash anyone's parenting, I certainly dont know the situation, but I know my folks would have made ME pony up the extra cash for a phone upgrade....

When I got my first smart phone in college, I had to eat the extra $30/month. Do you know how many $2 pitchers that is?

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
I am not *****ing about the $30 plan for the Droid. But why did I not have to pay $10 for the ENV2 (a texting phone) and NOW I have to pony up $10 for the ENV3. They are essentially the exact same think; the only difference is the form factor.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait, are you eating the cost of the new phone completely? Like you would if you bought it from Best Buy?

The $10 could be the cost of adding a line to your account, so you can get the discounted price on the phone...

Also, I read somewhere that some phones VZW adds a $10 texting fee to if you dont have the unlimited family plan. Why it's there, I dont know, but I have a sneaking suspicion you're SOL.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
I got lucky with my girlfriends Env3... purchased right before they started making you put a data plan on it...

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Wait, are you eating the cost of the new phone completely? Like you would if you bought it from Best Buy?

The $10 could be the cost of adding a line to your account, so you can get the discounted price on the phone...

Also, I read somewhere that some phones VZW adds a $10 texting fee to if you dont have the unlimited family plan. Why it's there, I dont know, but I have a sneaking suspicion you're SOL.

No, I am replacing an existing ($10 on the family plan) phone with a new phone. It's a free upgrade; new every two. I already have the unlimited texting plan for the entire family plan. I am going from an ENV2 to an ENV3. Virtually no difference, other than being hit with an additional $10 month.

DroidFan

Reaction score

Nope! It's not just for new customers! :icon_ banana:

I've been with VZW for years...I went right on line and changed the plan from the $99 unlimited to the $89 unlimited with unlimited texting... the $69 plan is for unlimited minutes without a text plan.

They'll even give you and option to wait to roll the plan over to the next billing cycle, so you don't have to contend with the prorating that they do. And....

I did this all from my Droid!!!!! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Family plans got more expensive. They advertising $99.99 Family plan with unlimited text. Right now I am paying $89.99.