No Droid for me because of $20.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would you assume that everyone uses their smartphone in exactly the same way as you?

Im not assuming, i just think that the phone is meant for texting and emailing as well as all the applications it can run. but texting an email is prolly around 65% of time spent using the phone. If all you want is a phone that can make calls. get a regular phone. if you want something for apps and what not....get an ipod touch.

I think you're confusing the use of email with "text messaging." Many folks, myself included, rely heavily on the Droid for email communication and almost never use a text messaging application. The former is covered by the data plan. The latter is not.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I text with Swype NOT the physical keyboard
I email with the keyboard, I type on forums with keyboard
I use keyboard when using IRC chat..

to the OP please go back to the store and talk to a different rep and get your DROID and tell us how much it kills your old BB

-=Jason=-

Dxun

Reaction score
Wait, i thought it was just the unlimited data plan, which includes texting, email, and internet $30/mo. That's what i have.

I wish i could get that. Cost me a additional $20 a month for unlimited text.

pyro6128

Reaction score
make sure you're going to an actual verizon store and not a wireless store that is an authorized verizon dealer. Just because it says verizon on it doesn't mean its an official verizon store. The official stores have more authority that the others do not. One store I went to that I thought was a verizon store was really a franchise, and they were trying to charge me numerous fees to get my droid. Then I went to the official verizon store by my house and they were able to waive everything. You just have to go and make a bit of a big deal. I would also suggest you mention your interest in the iphone if they can't do anything for you. That also worked for me.

R

Romple

Shenanigans!

The VZW rep is a typical vulture and a complete ass. There's 2 requirements for any smart phone: Voice, data. That's it.

Buy it online, go to a different store, go to the same store and talk to a different rep. Then tell his manager that he's a lying sack of poop. I used to be a sales rep at a VZW store (secaucus, nj... i'll miss you Mill Creek Mall!) and people got fired for this type of thing all the time.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shenanigans!

The VZW rep is a typical vulture and a complete ass. There's 2 requirements for any smart phone: Voice, data. That's it.

Buy it online, go to a different store, go to the same store and talk to a different rep. Then tell his manager that he's a lying sack of poop. I used to be a sales rep at a VZW store (secaucus, nj... i'll miss you Mill Creek Mall!) and people got fired for this type of thing all the time.

Agree, Buy it from amazon.com for $19 and activate it on your current number it will extend your contract another 2 years, but you'll have a DROID for $20...
Amazon.com: Motorola DROID A855 Android Phone (Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Service

-=Jason=-

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Why is it a MUST? that's what i would like to know.

but yeah, i can't see myself having a phone without text. it's become an easier way of communicating. Although sometimes it's abused and a 2 minute call can cover 10 minutes of text.....

OP
P

PapaDeuce

Reaction score
UPDATE. I finally made it to a corporate store and the whole text thing was, like many of you said, bogus.... So my wife and I immediately bought 2 Motorola Droids.

Thank You.

drewfuss

Reaction score
You don't have to have the text, the rep is wrong and trying to screw you.
However you are the kind of people that piss me off. You are willing to spend $200 on a phone and then your ***** and moan because of an extra $20 a month..serious what is $240 at the end of the year?
sorry had to vent, but serious $20?

biggs

Reaction score
all good rep was a liar enjoy the new droids they rock time to pimp

drewfuss

Reaction score
Shenanigans!

The VZW rep is a typical vulture and a complete ass.

Yeah you can have a rep be that, but that is one of those waste of space agent locations that just make it a point to screw up plans and lie for no damn reason.

biggs

Reaction score
drewfuss wtf r u serious some agent lcations are great others piss poor same with corp some good others piss poor just depends how the rep is an if he knows his head from a hole in the ground all in all droid rocks verizon rocks an the isucks is gay LONG LIVE DROID

javierislame

Reaction score
UPDATE. I finally made it to a corporate store and the whole text thing was, like many of you said, bogus.... So my wife and I immediately bought 2 Motorola Droids.

Thank You.

That's great news. Enjoy your Droid, as I have since it launched!