Verizon Data Plans

m1chuhsuh

Reaction score
it's just something they're doing.
all the new phones are "capable" ( not that they weren't capable of doing so before), but phones that are meant for text are also in a sense meant for internet too now. Therefore they are raising the prices. Don't understand why, they really do want more money.

it's kind of sad how nobody knew what you were trying to say OP. xD So for all the "pretty" phones or the "cool" phones, you gotta pay an ADDITIONAL 10$ for the 25MB data plan. it's [Edited by FoxKat for content], but verizon prices were always [Edited by FoxKat for content].

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread but I believe for a new plan the only option (other than the 25mb useless plan) is a $30 data plan even for the ENV3. Existing plans are $10 only, so be thankful :)

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
ENV3 is $9.99 for the data plan. Right now on Verizon Web site

Reaction score
9.99 is for only 25mb, pretty useless. It's also 9.99 if you have an existing plan for unlimited but not for a new plan.

zero7starz

Reaction score
A large part of this reason is because they were tired of mommy and daddy getting lil jane a phone with internet, and she went online and "used data" and it appeared on their bill. mommy and daddy knew that they're sweet angel would never do anything to raise their phone bill so they called verizon and *****ed and moaned until they took jane's data use off their bill. do this once for every customer you have and suddenly you've lost a ton of profit. well, now jane is up for an upgrade and she wants that shiny new touch screen phone thats lots easier to use the internet on. Big Red smiled and said, now its time you paid us back for that favor, because we're adding the 10 data plan to your bill.

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
A large part of this reason is because they were tired of mommy and daddy getting lil jane a phone with internet, and she went online and "used data" and it appeared on their bill. mommy and daddy knew that they're sweet angel would never do anything to raise their phone bill so they called verizon and *****ed and moaned until they took jane's data use off their bill. do this once for every customer you have and suddenly you've lost a ton of profit. well, now jane is up for an upgrade and she wants that shiny new touch screen phone thats lots easier to use the internet on. Big Red smiled and said, now its time you paid us back for that favor, because we're adding the 10 data plan to your bill.

What a load of crap.

IN AWE

Reaction score
You can block that, i did for the kids.

Reaction score
Data Plan

Daughter has the Envy 3
2 Options on the Verizon Website
1st Plan is $9.99 for 25MB and $19.99 for 75 MB
The phone has to have a Data Plan there is no opt out option online any longer for this phone nor any of the smart phones as far as i can tell.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I admit I don't have the needs, or the extra people, but even with the data plan, I'm paying $16 a month less than with my Voyager.

texasPI

Reaction score
Its simple. Choose a phone that does not use data, keep using the env2 or pony up the extra cash. I don't agree with it but it is what it is. They'll charge whatever the market bears.

Like I said, its a kick in the nads. :icon_evil:

hacimv

Reaction score
There are three stages of phones at Verizon:
- Standard Feature phones - these don't require a data plan
- "3G" Enhanced Devices (env3, env Touch, etc) - require at least $10 data
- Smartphones (droid, tp2, etc) - require at least $30 data

If you don't want to pay the extra data, get one of the cheaper phones that you can still text on, but they don't require a data package. That is what my mom did. . .

Signum

Reaction score

If you don't want to pay the extra data, get one of the cheaper phones that you can still text on, but they don't require a data package. That is what my mom did. . .

its "simple feature phones"
"3g multimedia phones"
and "3g smartphones"

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Yep, I'm in the same boat...My wife is currently on an old Palm Centro and uses text only, no data what-so-ever. She's eligible for NE2 next month and theoretically, to get her a new phone with the EXACT same capabilities, it's going to cost me an extra $10 monthly.

I'm thinking I might pick her up a new phone on ebay or Craigslist and forgo the whole NE2 deal altogether. I'll wait and see if they can give me a reasonable explanation of why I need to pay an extre $10/mo when I'm at the VZW store before I decide.

hacimv

Reaction score

its "simple feature phones"
"3g multimedia phones"
and "3g smartphones"

Thanks! I couldn't think of them off the top of my head... :)

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Yep, I'm in the same boat...My wife is currently on an old Palm Centro and uses text only, no data what-so-ever. She's eligible for NE2 next month and theoretically, to get her a new phone with the EXACT same capabilities, it's going to cost me an extra $10 monthly.

I'm thinking I might pick her up a new phone on ebay or Craigslist and forgo the whole NE2 deal altogether. I'll wait and see if they can give me a reasonable explanation of why I need to pay an extre $10/mo when I'm at the VZW store before I decide.

And that is exactly my problem with Verizon. I don't mind paying for stuff I use, i.e. 30 plan for the Droid. But these "multimedia" phones are really not good with using the Internet. My son has the Samsung Rogue and hardly uses it all all. His entire monthly downloads were about 1 MB. Granted, he does have the iPod Touch and connectivity almost everywhere he goes.