ok- how do i get a Note2 without an upgrade.... still on a family plan

Domestic violence

Reaction score
I currently have a family plan that, until a month ago had 5 lines on it. Now, its only me. 1400 voice/unltd text/data and additional lines are (I think) still $10/mo.

So, having this plan, and no upgrade on the primary/only line... Is there a way to add a line and get the Note2 and somehow apply the new phone to the existing line, thus replacing my Maxx?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
If you have the money, probably the easiest is to buy it outright...

Otherwise, you have to look at opening a new line and transferring the phone onto your line but keeping the additional line active...on the remaining lines on your plan, do they have any upgrades or are they completely gone (not active lines anymore)?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Your only option (but the worst one) is to add a line, buy the new phone on that line, activate the new phone on the new line, choose a tiered package for that line and once that is all done, you can move the new phone to your unlimited line, put a dummy phone on the new line and cancel the data package on the new line (but you would still have a $10 monthly fee for that new line for two years...costing $240 for a line you may not need).

I am with stg, you may be better off buying it retail...in the end, you are spending close to the same.

OP
Domestic violence

Domestic violence

Reaction score
$540 as opposed to $700 but I have the secondary phone to use for that time

xtor

Reaction score
Domestic violence said:
I currently have a family plan that, until a month ago had 5 lines on it. Now, its only me. 1400 voice/unltd text/data and additional lines are (I think) still $10/mo.

So, having this plan, and no upgrade on the primary/only line... Is there a way to add a line and get the Note2 and somehow apply the new phone to the existing line, thus replacing my Maxx?

I have the same plan, 2smart and 2 dumb, i have a upgrade on a line with no phone, can i put my 2 dumb lines on a new plan to get note 2, the transfer to my unlimited, will they, vzw let you have 2 plans for 4 lines?

point of origin

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
$540 as opposed to $700 but I have the secondary phone to use for that time

I thought non-smart phones were $20 per line and smartphones were $40...if you are locked in at $10 and you don't mind paying over the next 2 years, that might be your best route...this should also keep your current main line plan in tact which is another benefit to buying at full retail, VZW cannot change your plan...

Good luck!

Caesars

Reaction score
Do it, amazing so Far.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The possibilities for getting a phone at a subsidized price (via Verizon, Best Buy, Costco...not Amazon or Wirefly) are...

One option is if you have more than one line on your account, with an upgrade due. If one of those lines are tiered (limited) or is a dummy line (has no data), then you can transfer the upgrade to that tiered/dummy line, buy a phone at the subsidized price, then activate it on the tiered/dummy line. If it's a tiered line, it will remain tiered and that line's contract will be updated. If it's a dummy line, then you will have to choose a tiered package for that line. Once the new phone has been activated on the tiered or dummy line and that contract updated, you can switch the phone over to your unlimited line and keep unlimited. If it was a dummy line, after you move the new phone off that line and put the dummy phone back on that line, you can cancel the data package. BUT you have to make sure you activate the new phone on the tiered/dummy line first before you move it to the unlimited line.

Another option is if you have more than one line, both are unlimited but you don't mind that one of the lines becomes tiered (maybe that person hardly uses data at all). You can transfer the upgrade to that line, activate the new subsidized phone on that line, choose a tiered data package for that line, then once that is all done, you can move the new phone to the other line and keep unlimited on that line.

The last option (but the worst one) is to add a line, buy the new phone on that line, activate the new phone on the new line, choose a tiered package for that line and once that is all done, you can move the new phone to your unlimited line, put a dummy phone on the new line and cancel the data package on the new line (but you would still have a $10 monthly fee for that new line for two years...costing $240 for a line you may not need).