No Droid for me because of $20.

PapaDeuce

Reaction score
My family is on a 5 phone family plan. And we have 2 phones with data plans @ an extra $30 each for the phones.... our base monthly bill is $130. Then add all the taxes and stuff and it comes to ~ $160.

So I went to buy my Droid today and the guy tells me that I MUST upgrade to include a $20 a month family text plan. In my entire life I have sent exactly ONE TEXT, and received about 10 texts. ( in about 18 years of having a phone ) Nobody uses text on any of our 5 phones.

I can't justify $240 a year for texting I will never use. Sigh. I am so disappointed.

Reaction score
My family is on a 5 phone family plan. And we have 2 phones with data plans @ an extra $30 each for the phones.... our base monthly bill is $130. Then add all the taxes and stuff and it comes to ~ $160.

So I went to buy my Droid today and the guy tells me that I MUST upgrade to include a $20 a month family text plan. In my entire life I have sent exactly ONE TEXT, and received about 10 texts. ( in about 18 years of having a phone ) Nobody uses text on any of our 5 phones.

I can't justify $240 a year for texting I will never use. Sigh. I am so disappointed.

Yeah i feel your pain it does suck. but you never know you might wanna be sending texts to your friends all day as soon as you get this superphone. Although I'm suprised he didnt say anthing about the mandatory data plan....

the3dolla

Reaction score
or..

Or.. Start using texting. I have it on my family plan with 5 phones. I was anti-txt for a while, but now it's fun/sweet/awesome/etc.

Maybe you'll like it!

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I have 4 phones on a family plan with 2 data plans. We do not have the family text plan and no one ever mentioned it. Sounds like your rep is misinformed. I agree with the try again comment.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Agree with the others saying try someone else. All I've ever heard required is the data. Never anything about texting. Sounds like someone at the store might not know what they're talking about.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
He's off. Your Droid only needs the required data plan, which covers your texting, etc.

Your other phones likely have texting included in their data plans, or as a separate add on, check that for your other phones, and go to a vz owned store if possible.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll join the chorus. There is no requirement for a text messaging plan. Period. When and if anyone in my family exceeds 1 text per day on a regular basis, I'll consider it. Until then, we pay $.20 per text message.

OP
P

PapaDeuce

Reaction score

Yeah i feel your pain it does suck. but you never know you might wanna be sending texts to your friends all day as soon as you get this superphone. Although I'm suprised he didnt say anthing about the mandatory data plan....

I knew about the data plan before I went in. I have that on our 2 Blackberrys.

Here is what he said: " Because the phones you want to update are so old, you MUST have a family text plan." I was taking an available update on my mom's phone so that I could replace my Blackberrry, which I can't stand. The BB is not available for an update until December.

Last edited:

ldimick

Reaction score

What I would try to do is upgrade an existing phone to a Droid without adding the plan. Then add a crap dumb phone and swap the numbers. Or go to a different Verizon store or even a Best Buy. I know the BB people have a lousy rep but it is not entirely deserved.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Ask for a Manager or goto another corp store.

Reaction score
Your rep= idiot. Just trying to get you to shell out more for his gain. Data plan is required... text is not. My rep offered a plan without it. Goes to show you how misinformed ... or sneaky... certain reps are.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't have even bothered getting a phone with a hardware keyboard if I didn't text. If it weren't for the Verizon text cap I'd type out a novel on that thing lol

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Misinformed. Only data plan required as others have said. I have a family plan with no $20 text required.