Need a new phone Droid or Nexus 1?

Zaric

Reaction score
I'm in need of a new phone so Im thinking Droid or Nexus 1 what do you think?
Now I know you guys are very bias but assuming you dont have a phone at all what your take?

sc4fpse

Reaction score
I think the biggest factor here is which carrier you want to be on the most.

If it doesn't matter to you, then consider prices and coverage.

Would be a no-brainer for me, personally...

asmallchild

Reaction score
Now I know you guys are very bias but assuming you dont have a phone at all what your take?

I would never leave Verizon. So Droid.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

+1.............

Laurence5905

Reaction score

Same here.

The Nexus One, at first, is limited to T-Mobile. Then after a couple of months they're going to release one that's on AT&T's GSM band. So if you want to be with T-Mobile or AT&T, you can get a Nexus One. If you want to be on a good network, get the Droid.

EDIT: At least T-Mobile charges a lot less per-month, so that is one thing to think about.

theguy386

Reaction score
It really all comes down to carrier and what works in your area

OP
Zaric

Zaric

Reaction score
Well Im on big V now and on a add a phone plan with some one.
So my bill will go up about 30 cuz I dont have data now.

Also through work I can get Tmobile at 20 bucks a month for work plan with every thing. But I must buy phone out right.

With the way phones are moving now no contract is good.

So let go on the idea of I purchase Droid or N1 with NO contract.
I believe TMobile is OK my 3g coverage map looks pretty good in my area although I think Ver. is better.

My other option is.......
Or I say screw it do a 2 year upgrade and get droid for 200. at basicly 80 dollars a month for 2 year on a add a phone plan.

The only other option is Go $180.00 for N1 contract and after 6 months I can go to my work plan at 20.00 a month and the contract is void after 6 months as soon as I got to the work plan. So I would be out of contract at 6 months but would have to do the fist 6 months at 80.00 plan.
So for the Tmobile deal if I do NO contract or do the contract the money ends up being the same. ..........mmmmmmmmmm Hope I didnt confuse any one.

Last edited:

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Well Im on big V now and on a add a phone plan with some one.
So my bill will go up about 30 cuz I dont have data now.

Also through work I can get Tmobile at 20 bucks a month for work plan with every thing. But I must buy phone out right.

With the way phones are moving now no contract is good.

So let go on the idea of I purchase Droid or N1 with NO contract.
I believe TMobile is OK my 3g coverage map looks pretty good in my area although I thinkVer. is better.
Or I say screw it do a 2 year upgrade and get droid for 200. at basicly 80 dollars a month.
The only other option is Go 180 for N1 contract and after 6 months I can go to my work plan at 20.00 a month and the contract is void after 6 months ..........mmmmmmmmmm Hope I didnt confuse any one.

Basically you're paying for it one way or the other -- either you pay a lot up-front buying the phone at full-retail price, or you get a phone for less but have to sign a two-year contract at $80 (or more) per month with Verizon.

If you can get the Nexus One cheap, and aren't locked in with a 2-year contract on T-Mobile, then the Nexus One would probably be the better choice for you (if T-Mobile's coverage really is as good in your area as you think it is.)

I would be cautious about your idea of switching plans to your work-plan after 6 months -- T-Mobile might consider that an early termination of the 2-year contract you signed with them, and might charge you an early-termination fee anyway... I'd definitely research that before making a final decision. Get it in writing from T-Mobile that they won't charge you an ETF for switching to your work-plan after 6 months.

Or buy the phone outright at the beginning, and use your work-plan for $20 a month from day 1. Add that up -- over two years that's $480 total for all your cell-usage, and that's a VERY significant savings (far more than the initial full-retail price of the phone). If you have the cash to fork over for a full-retail-price Nexus One, that really seems to be your cheapest option...

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nexus may be an appealing phone but it'll be on T-Mobile's network, not VZW, so it's really on the carrier for the decision I'd say. I'd never sacrifice Verizon's coverage.

asmallchild

Reaction score

Same here.

The Nexus One, at first, is limited to T-Mobile. Then after a couple of months they're going to release one that's on AT&T's GSM band. So if you want to be with T-Mobile or AT&T, you can get a Nexus One. If you want to be on a good network, get the Droid.

EDIT: At least T-Mobile charges a lot less per-month, so that is one thing to think about.

I will concede that if the NexusOne was released for Verizon, I'd at least take a 2nd look and consider returning my Droid that isn't yet 30 days old.

But again, it's the network that matters to me. Heck I talked myself into existing happily for a year with the Storm thanks to Verizon Wireless :icon_ banana:

Berzerker

Reaction score

Same here.

I will concede that if the NexusOne was released for Verizon, I'd at least take a 2nd look and consider returning my Droid that isn't yet 30 days old.

But again, it's the network that matters to me. Heck I talked myself into existing happily for a year with the Storm thanks to Verizon Wireless :icon_ banana:
That's precisely the reason Verizon refused it on their network.

Nonie3234

Reaction score
Personally I hate the Droid's keyboard, so if I could start all over I'd get the Nexus.

authority11

Reaction score
I think the Nexus 1 looks absolutely fantastic and, everything equal, I would prefer it to the Droid. However, the wireless carrier behind the phone is such a crucial component to overall functionality, so, overall, I think Droid will provide the best user experience.

FireDroid

Reaction score
I would get one, but would hate the track ball! I still love the indusrtial look and feel of the droid though!!

beefydoc

Reaction score
Droid has serious issues

Reluctantly returned my Droid today. Loved the phone. Except had a problem that Verizon was unwilling or unable to solve. Everytime I used the phone as an MP3 player in my car and removed the AUX chord from my headphone jack, the phone's internal speaker and speakerphone would not work without a reboot. MAJOR inconvienance on a phone billed as an iPhone killer. Verizon replaced once and new phone did EXACT same thing. Was up against 30 day return window with Verizon and they were unwilling to work with me or exchange again. So I reluctantly returned the Droid today. Verizon says there are no reported issues with this problem they are aware of when a simple Google search of "Droid speaker issues" brings a boatload of hits in multiple Droid forums about this very issue.
It's a shame b/c I have been a huge cheerleader for Droid, but when it is sold as an iPhone killer it should work as an MP3 player and a phone without having to reboot it every time you unplug the headphone jack from headphones or your car's AUX jack. I will leave Verizon in 2 months once contract is up. CAN NO LONGER recommend Droid until Motorola and Verizon get their act together.