Need a new phone Droid or Nexus 1?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Zaric, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Zaric

Zaric New Member

Need a new phone Droid or Nexus 1?
    I'm in need of a new phone so Im thinking Droid or Nexus 1 what do you think?
    Now I know you guys are very bias but assuming you dont have a phone at all what your take?
  2. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

I think the biggest factor here is which carrier you want to be on the most.

If it doesn't matter to you, then consider prices and coverage.

Would be a no-brainer for me, personally...
  3. asmallchild

asmallchild New Member

I would never leave Verizon. So Droid.
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

+1.............
  5. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 New Member

Same here.

The Nexus One, at first, is limited to T-Mobile. Then after a couple of months they're going to release one that's on AT&T's GSM band. So if you want to be with T-Mobile or AT&T, you can get a Nexus One. If you want to be on a good network, get the Droid.

EDIT: At least T-Mobile charges a lot less per-month, so that is one thing to think about.
  6. theguy386

theguy386 New Member

It really all comes down to carrier and what works in your area
  7. Zaric

Zaric New Member

Well Im on big V now and on a add a phone plan with some one.
    So my bill will go up about 30 cuz I dont have data now.

Also through work I can get Tmobile at 20 bucks a month for work plan with every thing. But I must buy phone out right.

With the way phones are moving now no contract is good.

So let go on the idea of I purchase Droid or N1 with NO contract.
    I believe TMobile is OK my 3g coverage map looks pretty good in my area although I think Ver. is better.

My other option is.......
    Or I say screw it do a 2 year upgrade and get droid for 200. at basicly 80 dollars a month for 2 year on a add a phone plan.

The only other option is Go $180.00 for N1 contract and after 6 months I can go to my work plan at 20.00 a month and the contract is void after 6 months as soon as I got to the work plan. So I would be out of contract at 6 months but would have to do the fist 6 months at 80.00 plan.
    So for the Tmobile deal if I do NO contract or do the contract the money ends up being the same. ..........mmmmmmmmmm Hope I didnt confuse any one.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 New Member

Basically you're paying for it one way or the other -- either you pay a lot up-front buying the phone at full-retail price, or you get a phone for less but have to sign a two-year contract at $80 (or more) per month with Verizon.

If you can get the Nexus One cheap, and aren't locked in with a 2-year contract on T-Mobile, then the Nexus One would probably be the better choice for you (if T-Mobile's coverage really is as good in your area as you think it is.)

I would be cautious about your idea of switching plans to your work-plan after 6 months -- T-Mobile might consider that an early termination of the 2-year contract you signed with them, and might charge you an early-termination fee anyway... I'd definitely research that before making a final decision. Get it in writing from T-Mobile that they won't charge you an ETF for switching to your work-plan after 6 months.

Or buy the phone outright at the beginning, and use your work-plan for $20 a month from day 1. Add that up -- over two years that's $480 total for all your cell-usage, and that's a VERY significant savings (far more than the initial full-retail price of the phone). If you have the cash to fork over for a full-retail-price Nexus One, that really seems to be your cheapest option...
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  9. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Nexus may be an appealing phone but it'll be on T-Mobile's network, not VZW, so it's really on the carrier for the decision I'd say. I'd never sacrifice Verizon's coverage.
  10. asmallchild

asmallchild New Member

I will concede that if the NexusOne was released for Verizon, I'd at least take a 2nd look and consider returning my Droid that isn't yet 30 days old.

But again, it's the network that matters to me. Heck I talked myself into existing happily for a year with the Storm thanks to Verizon Wireless :icon_ banana:
  11. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

That's precisely the reason Verizon refused it on their network.
  12. Nonie3234

Nonie3234 New Member

Personally I hate the Droid's keyboard, so if I could start all over I'd get the Nexus.
  13. authority11

authority11 New Member

I think the Nexus 1 looks absolutely fantastic and, everything equal, I would prefer it to the Droid. However, the wireless carrier behind the phone is such a crucial component to overall functionality, so, overall, I think Droid will provide the best user experience.
  14. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

I would get one, but would hate the track ball! I still love the indusrtial look and feel of the droid though!!
  15. beefydoc

beefydoc New Member

Droid has serious issues

Reluctantly returned my Droid today. Loved the phone. Except had a problem that Verizon was unwilling or unable to solve. Everytime I used the phone as an MP3 player in my car and removed the AUX chord from my headphone jack, the phone's internal speaker and speakerphone would not work without a reboot. MAJOR inconvienance on a phone billed as an iPhone killer. Verizon replaced once and new phone did EXACT same thing. Was up against 30 day return window with Verizon and they were unwilling to work with me or exchange again. So I reluctantly returned the Droid today. Verizon says there are no reported issues with this problem they are aware of when a simple Google search of "Droid speaker issues" brings a boatload of hits in multiple Droid forums about this very issue.
    It's a shame b/c I have been a huge cheerleader for Droid, but when it is sold as an iPhone killer it should work as an MP3 player and a phone without having to reboot it every time you unplug the headphone jack from headphones or your car's AUX jack. I will leave Verizon in 2 months once contract is up. CAN NO LONGER recommend Droid until Motorola and Verizon get their act together.
  16. Zaric

Zaric New Member

Damn I wish I was rich..........this is a agonizing decision. Im so split ughhhhh
    I really would rather stay with big V though.
    I just hate the 2 year contract.
    How much extra you got to pay to up in one year?
  17. souljerr

souljerr New Member

It's been stated by a couple of others but I'd go with the Droid. The phone and the network are both great. I stuck with Verizon through several under performing Treo "smart phones" because of the network and coverage and would suggest you compare the networks in your area before deciding.
  18. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

Could have simply been the cable you were using. I've never had this problem and use my car's aux all the time. But I've seen posts where different cables had different results.
  19. FireDroid

FireDroid New Member

Been using a 3.5 cable to FM transmitter since day one with no problems, sorry to hear about it.
  20. beefydoc

beefydoc New Member

Yea , I tried different chords, but all with the same result. It is really depressing b/c going back to WinMo (even for a couple of months) will be like going from HDTV to a black and white 12" TV. Any other suggestions welcome.