Need a new phone Droid or Nexus 1?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Zaric, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Zaric

Zaric New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Need a new phone Droid or Nexus 1?
    I'm in need of a new phone so Im thinking Droid or Nexus 1 what do you think?
    Now I know you guys are very bias but assuming you dont have a phone at all what your take?

2. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the biggest factor here is which carrier you want to be on the most.

If it doesn't matter to you, then consider prices and coverage.

Would be a no-brainer for me, personally...

3. asmallchild

asmallchild Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I would never leave Verizon. So Droid.

4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17
    +1.............

5. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here.

The Nexus One, at first, is limited to T-Mobile. Then after a couple of months they're going to release one that's on AT&T's GSM band. So if you want to be with T-Mobile or AT&T, you can get a Nexus One. If you want to be on a good network, get the Droid.

EDIT: At least T-Mobile charges a lot less per-month, so that is one thing to think about.

6. theguy386

theguy386 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It really all comes down to carrier and what works in your area

7. Zaric

Zaric New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well Im on big V now and on a add a phone plan with some one.
    So my bill will go up about 30 cuz I dont have data now.

Also through work I can get Tmobile at 20 bucks a month for work plan with every thing. But I must buy phone out right.

With the way phones are moving now no contract is good.

So let go on the idea of I purchase Droid or N1 with NO contract.
    I believe TMobile is OK my 3g coverage map looks pretty good in my area although I think Ver. is better.

My other option is.......
    Or I say screw it do a 2 year upgrade and get droid for 200. at basicly 80 dollars a month for 2 year on a add a phone plan.

The only other option is Go $180.00 for N1 contract and after 6 months I can go to my work plan at 20.00 a month and the contract is void after 6 months as soon as I got to the work plan. So I would be out of contract at 6 months but would have to do the fist 6 months at 80.00 plan.
    So for the Tmobile deal if I do NO contract or do the contract the money ends up being the same. ..........mmmmmmmmmm Hope I didnt confuse any one.

#7 Zaric, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Basically you're paying for it one way or the other -- either you pay a lot up-front buying the phone at full-retail price, or you get a phone for less but have to sign a two-year contract at $80 (or more) per month with Verizon.

If you can get the Nexus One cheap, and aren't locked in with a 2-year contract on T-Mobile, then the Nexus One would probably be the better choice for you (if T-Mobile's coverage really is as good in your area as you think it is.)

I would be cautious about your idea of switching plans to your work-plan after 6 months -- T-Mobile might consider that an early termination of the 2-year contract you signed with them, and might charge you an early-termination fee anyway... I'd definitely research that before making a final decision. Get it in writing from T-Mobile that they won't charge you an ETF for switching to your work-plan after 6 months.

Or buy the phone outright at the beginning, and use your work-plan for $20 a month from day 1. Add that up -- over two years that's $480 total for all your cell-usage, and that's a VERY significant savings (far more than the initial full-retail price of the phone). If you have the cash to fork over for a full-retail-price Nexus One, that really seems to be your cheapest option...

#8 Laurence5905, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Nexus may be an appealing phone but it'll be on T-Mobile's network, not VZW, so it's really on the carrier for the decision I'd say. I'd never sacrifice Verizon's coverage.

10. asmallchild

asmallchild Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I will concede that if the NexusOne was released for Verizon, I'd at least take a 2nd look and consider returning my Droid that isn't yet 30 days old.

But again, it's the network that matters to me. Heck I talked myself into existing happily for a year with the Storm thanks to Verizon Wireless :icon_ banana:

11. Berzerker

Berzerker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's precisely the reason Verizon refused it on their network.

12. Nonie3234

Nonie3234 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I hate the Droid's keyboard, so if I could start all over I'd get the Nexus.