Do people really want pure google

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by pc747, Feb 11, 2011.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,919
    For the past couple of weeks I been advocating that people wanted a pure google device like the Nexus S, Nexus 1, and Droid 1. But I do not think that is truly the case based on sells numbers. If the nexus s and the nexus 1 were to have the numbers that the droid x and evo had then I think manufacturers would maybe look into that more. But all companies see are numbers. I think we dont know what we want being that google is still new to us. What we do want is a device that functions properly, do not lag, and looks good. No matter what you hear blur and sense looks better then pure google. The problem is that blur cause a decrease in performance and is giving some of us a sour taste toward the newer motorola device, that and it is locked down and loaded with a bunch of preloaded apps and blur which is heavy.
    Now a source has ensured me that the new blur is actually better so time will tell. If that is the case I hope motorola updates the droid 2/2g/x to the new blur because the old blur and a locked bootloader is the reason I am going to HTC with no plans on looking back until at least next year.
    So for all those saying you want pure google what device do you have and are about to buy.
    I am buying the TB and I like how sense looks and feels based on me playing with the evo.

2. les017

les017 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No idea yet what I'm gonna buy, but I do lean towards pure Google. Current OG Droid with rooted with PE4 2 and no additional themes. I have been rooted since day 1 and have not seriously applied a theme in over 8 months. Function over form for me, but I also don't like ugly. But I think android looks just fine and much prefer the consistency over the various looks and feels. Also my wife, who you'd think would prefer something "prettier" like Sense, also now prefers her Eris without Sense... by virtue of KaosFroyo.

#2 les017, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. xpezdj

xpezdj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    HTC Sense is so perfect, you can't go wrong. But vanilla android is also good

4. cjreyes666

cjreyes666 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    yeah but the nexus phones were with tmobile and att and some people wont even go close to any of them and the og droid was at its moment one of the best selling android phones so if big red gets a pure google phone like the nexus phone i think many people would jump to it. wouldnt you?

5. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    i loved my original droid when i had, but HTC Sense has really grown on me since.

the only thing I don't like about sense is when I hit the phone button it goes to last calls vs contacts, sometimes this can be a real pain...or i haven't figured it out yet lol

6. mjforte

mjforte Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the pure Google phones being only on t-mobile is definitely a factor in this. Most people say they want a pure Google phone mostly because they'll be updated much quicker to the latest version of Android. It takes much longer for the manufacturers to get their skins on top of Android to function well with the new versions. Unfortunately the manufacturers do it because they think it makes their devices stand out. I doubt we are going to see many more pure google phones other than nexus devices. Although there are rumors of the Droid 3 being stock Android, which I hope is true.

7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +934
    Rooting is a small % of the user base, and those flashing roms is even smaller. That won't really change much even if every phone was unlocked, but perhaps over time it could be like installing freeware on your computer.

Sales numbers aren't a great comparison because of growth in the smartphone business, particularly with Android.

I'd like a pure Google phone, but only if its on VZW and only if the specs are top of the line. It's a tough time right now with Android growing leaps and bounds, but sooner rather than later the updates will slow significantly and be pretty marginal upgrades at that. It will be more about quality apps going forward, and arguably Google is already shifting gears in that direction. I won't miss custom roms all that much, and don't really do much with root. I'd still love a developer phone, but a year from now I don't think I'll care.

8. dbst

dbst Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with everyone saying the nexus phones would do a lot better on Verizon, and I would also love blur if it wasn't so slow

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

9. mamawm

mamawm Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i would love to get my hands on a cdma nexus. i like to dress my phone up my way.

10. deputc26

deputc26 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The reason Google handsets are not selling as well as they should is non-standard marketing and consumer ignorance.

11. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I have the OG Droid. I love the touchwiz look that a few friends have on their Galaxys but they are still on 2.1. I haven't used anybodies htc device but I am leaning towards the Thunderbolt. How has htc been pushing out updates, I haven't followed their threads?

12. mjforte

mjforte Member

Ratings:
    +0
    HTC is generally pretty good at updating their phones.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Search tags for this page
pure google or sense

pure google vs touchwiz