Do people really want pure google

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For the past couple of weeks I been advocating that people wanted a pure google device like the Nexus S, Nexus 1, and Droid 1. But I do not think that is truly the case based on sells numbers. If the nexus s and the nexus 1 were to have the numbers that the droid x and evo had then I think manufacturers would maybe look into that more. But all companies see are numbers. I think we dont know what we want being that google is still new to us. What we do want is a device that functions properly, do not lag, and looks good. No matter what you hear blur and sense looks better then pure google. The problem is that blur cause a decrease in performance and is giving some of us a sour taste toward the newer motorola device, that and it is locked down and loaded with a bunch of preloaded apps and blur which is heavy.
Now a source has ensured me that the new blur is actually better so time will tell. If that is the case I hope motorola updates the droid 2/2g/x to the new blur because the old blur and a locked bootloader is the reason I am going to HTC with no plans on looking back until at least next year.
So for all those saying you want pure google what device do you have and are about to buy.
I am buying the TB and I like how sense looks and feels based on me playing with the evo.

les017

Reaction score
No idea yet what I'm gonna buy, but I do lean towards pure Google. Current OG Droid with rooted with PE4 2 and no additional themes. I have been rooted since day 1 and have not seriously applied a theme in over 8 months. Function over form for me, but I also don't like ugly. But I think android looks just fine and much prefer the consistency over the various looks and feels. Also my wife, who you'd think would prefer something "prettier" like Sense, also now prefers her Eris without Sense... by virtue of KaosFroyo.

Last edited:

xpezdj

Reaction score
HTC Sense is so perfect, you can't go wrong. But vanilla android is also good

cjreyes666

Reaction score
For the past couple of weeks I been advocating that people wanted a pure google device like the Nexus S, Nexus 1, and Droid 1. But I do not think that is truly the case based on sells numbers. If the nexus s and the nexus 1 were to have the numbers that the droid x and evo had then I think manufacturers would maybe look into that more. But all companies see are numbers. I think we dont know what we want being that google is still new to us. What we do want is a device that functions properly, do not lag, and looks good. No matter what you hear blur and sense looks better then pure google. The problem is that blur cause a decrease in performance and is giving some of us a sour taste toward the newer motorola device, that and it is locked down and loaded with a bunch of preloaded apps and blur which is heavy.
Now a source has ensured me that the new blur is actually better so time will tell. If that is the case I hope motorola updates the droid 2/2g/x to the new blur because the old blur and a locked bootloader is the reason I am going to HTC with no plans on looking back until at least next year.
So for all those saying you want pure google what device do you have and are about to buy.
I am buying the TB and I like how sense looks and feels based on me playing with the evo.

yeah but the nexus phones were with tmobile and att and some people wont even go close to any of them and the og droid was at its moment one of the best selling android phones so if big red gets a pure google phone like the nexus phone i think many people would jump to it. wouldnt you?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i loved my original droid when i had, but HTC Sense has really grown on me since.

the only thing I don't like about sense is when I hit the phone button it goes to last calls vs contacts, sometimes this can be a real pain...or i haven't figured it out yet lol

mjforte

Reaction score
Yeah the pure Google phones being only on t-mobile is definitely a factor in this. Most people say they want a pure Google phone mostly because they'll be updated much quicker to the latest version of Android. It takes much longer for the manufacturers to get their skins on top of Android to function well with the new versions. Unfortunately the manufacturers do it because they think it makes their devices stand out. I doubt we are going to see many more pure google phones other than nexus devices. Although there are rumors of the Droid 3 being stock Android, which I hope is true.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Rooting is a small % of the user base, and those flashing roms is even smaller. That won't really change much even if every phone was unlocked, but perhaps over time it could be like installing freeware on your computer.

Sales numbers aren't a great comparison because of growth in the smartphone business, particularly with Android.

I'd like a pure Google phone, but only if its on VZW and only if the specs are top of the line. It's a tough time right now with Android growing leaps and bounds, but sooner rather than later the updates will slow significantly and be pretty marginal upgrades at that. It will be more about quality apps going forward, and arguably Google is already shifting gears in that direction. I won't miss custom roms all that much, and don't really do much with root. I'd still love a developer phone, but a year from now I don't think I'll care.

dbst

Reaction score
I agree with everyone saying the nexus phones would do a lot better on Verizon, and I would also love blur if it wasn't so slow

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

mamawm

Reaction score
i would love to get my hands on a cdma nexus. i like to dress my phone up my way.

deputc26

Reaction score
The reason Google handsets are not selling as well as they should is non-standard marketing and consumer ignorance.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have the OG Droid. I love the touchwiz look that a few friends have on their Galaxys but they are still on 2.1. I haven't used anybodies htc device but I am leaning towards the Thunderbolt. How has htc been pushing out updates, I haven't followed their threads?

mjforte

Reaction score
HTC is generally pretty good at updating their phones.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The point of my thread is that I can go to motorola and bang on the table that people want pure google devices. But all companies see is money. And because people do not know the difference motorola is gonna build where the market is. Let's be honest people care about look. People turn the phone on and see blockbuster, games, and all the eye candy and they are sold. Pure google is not as flashy as custom uis, that is why those of us running a blurless rom have either launcherpro or adw. I said before the thing I like about blur and sense are the extra home screen set ups that comes with profiles for blur and scenes for sense. people who holler pure google we are yelling because we are tired of seeing our perfomance degraded due to an overloaded system. But as long as pure google device not sell like the others it is going to be hard to convince manufacturers to shell out money on devices where they feel they will lose money.

mwinne

Reaction score
I will not be switching from Verizon, and am still on my D1. but, if by some miracle a pure Google option were available, preferably a moto, I would take it in a heartbeat.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The point of my thread is that I can go to motorola and bang on the table that people want pure google devices. But all companies see is money.

The reality is it's getting harder and harder to differentiate on hardware, and Nokia pretty much said that point blank when they defended their choice to partner with MS.

I do agree the phones should be unlocked to give the consumer the option (which would allow 3rd parties, such as rom developers, to help support), but don't expect OEM's to pump out vanilla Google devices. It's probably inevitable that margins for the mfr will go to nothing, just like with PC's, but don't expect the OEM's to go without a fight.

The entire US smartphone market is pretty screwed up, between locked devices (bootloader and carrier) and artificially inflated retail prices. But it is right now a seller's market for both carrier and OEM.