Need a new phone Droid or Nexus 1?

OP
Zaric

Zaric

Reaction score
Damn I wish I was rich..........this is a agonizing decision. Im so split ughhhhh
I really would rather stay with big V though.
I just hate the 2 year contract.
How much extra you got to pay to up in one year?

souljerr

Reaction score
It's been stated by a couple of others but I'd go with the Droid. The phone and the network are both great. I stuck with Verizon through several under performing Treo "smart phones" because of the network and coverage and would suggest you compare the networks in your area before deciding.

darreno1

Reaction score
Reluctantly returned my Droid today. Loved the phone. Except had a problem that Verizon was unwilling or unable to solve. Everytime I used the phone as an MP3 player in my car and removed the AUX chord from my headphone jack, the phone's internal speaker and speakerphone would not work without a reboot. MAJOR inconvienance on a phone billed as an iPhone killer. Verizon replaced once and new phone did EXACT same thing. Was up against 30 day return window with Verizon and they were unwilling to work with me or exchange again. So I reluctantly returned the Droid today. Verizon says there are no reported issues with this problem they are aware of when a simple Google search of "Droid speaker issues" brings a boatload of hits in multiple Droid forums about this very issue.
It's a shame b/c I have been a huge cheerleader for Droid, but when it is sold as an iPhone killer it should work as an MP3 player and a phone without having to reboot it every time you unplug the headphone jack from headphones or your car's AUX jack. I will leave Verizon in 2 months once contract is up. CAN NO LONGER recommend Droid until Motorola and Verizon get their act together.

Could have simply been the cable you were using. I've never had this problem and use my car's aux all the time. But I've seen posts where different cables had different results.

FireDroid

Reaction score
Been using a 3.5 cable to FM transmitter since day one with no problems, sorry to hear about it.

beefydoc

Reaction score
Yea , I tried different chords, but all with the same result. It is really depressing b/c going back to WinMo (even for a couple of months) will be like going from HDTV to a black and white 12" TV. Any other suggestions welcome.

asmallchild

Reaction score
I will concede that if the NexusOne was released for Verizon, I'd at least take a 2nd look and consider returning my Droid that isn't yet 30 days old.

But again, it's the network that matters to me. Heck I talked myself into existing happily for a year with the Storm thanks to Verizon Wireless :icon_ banana:
That's precisely the reason Verizon refused it on their network.

Because the Droid was too new to already be replaced?

darreno1

Reaction score
Yea , I tried different chords, but all with the same result. It is really depressing b/c going back to WinMo (even for a couple of months) will be like going from HDTV to a black and white 12" TV. Any other suggestions welcome.

Before you unplug it, do you shut the music off? That's a habit of mine.

If that doesn't work, if you haven't done so already, try a factory reset.

Loooney2ns

Reaction score
Considering the fact that T-Mo is the 2nd best network, financially the Nexus 1 makes more sense. It all depends on where you live and where you will be using it most of the time. My brother lives in the bay area and swears by T-Mobile. He was a former AT&T customer and hated it. I am in NY and a VZW customer since 2001 and I am very happy with my service. I am due for my early upgrade in 3 weeks and will be getting the Droid unless the new HTC phone is released by then. Goodbye Storm!

aristo1963

Reaction score
On mine if you pull the jack while it is playing the music will stop,BUT looking at the player the start arrow shows again and if I touch it the player starts playing again through the speakers.

Zahoor

Reaction score
The N1 will be coming to verizon in the spring so if u can just wait a few months..i personally love my droid and i dont see much of a difference between the two phones because they will have the same software in a few days

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of a new phone so Im thinking Droid or Nexus 1 what do you think?
Now I know you guys are very bias but assuming you dont have a phone at all what your take?
Always select your carrier first based on coverage where you need it.