So were all Droid early adopters cheated?

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I've been a VZW customer for a few years and have no plans on changing that.
For me, I find their network to be wonderfully stable and thats all that matters at the end of the day.

You can have the greatest device in the world, but if it wont function properly due to infrastructure then what good is it really?

Yup. This is exactly why I don't own an iPhone.

Droid is an amazing piece of hardware that has the ability to scale up as the devs grow more adventurous. It's already fantastic, with a few little burps.. but it's going to grow and evolve like all things do. However, I dont see us needing to clamour for "D2" anytime soon like the early adopters on iPhone and Storm had to for obvious reasons. Our device works as it is.. there are some software issues that need to be ironed out but that can be handled with OTA updates and awesome app devs who work to exploit the full capibilities of our little friend.

Totally agree with you here. Maybe the Nexus One does have a slightly faster CPU, but really when you get right down to it, the N1 isn't going to do anything that our Droids don't do already (or will do when 2.1 comes out on the Droid).

The only thing that would be bad would be if Google delays 2.1 on the Droid in order to entice people to buy the N1. But I honestly don't see that happening... They're certainly not going to get very many folks to give up their Droids in favor of the N1 -- not enough to justify pissing off so many Droid people by delaying or denying them the 2.1 update...

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I'm happy with VZW and the Droid, not lusting after anything else at this point. When 4G comes out and is widely deployed perhaps I'll want a new device and/or provider, but not today.

Exactly. The only reason I can see upgrading the Droid is to take advantage of the 4G network that Verizon should have rolled-out by the end of 2011 or so. By then, I'm hoping Motorola will have the Droid 2, with 4G capabilties, an 8- or 10-megapixel camera that can actually take pics in low-light, and a physical keyboard with no D-Pad and slightly larger keys. Heck, even if they keep the keyboard exactly like the original Droid keyboard, I'd be OK with that I suppose. As long as it has a physical keyboard -- I just can't type on virtual ones.

But for now, and for the foreseeable future, I'm quite happy with my Droid. And with the software updates that are sure to come, it will only get better as time goes on.

asmallchild

Reaction score
I personally think the Droid has been one of the better purchases I've made. There have been the early adopter issues that we've all worked through but I expected those. The author of this article believes Google is eating its young and, in effect, screwing us by releasing the Nexus One.

With Nexus One, Is Google Eating Its Own Children? -- Seeking Alpha

Considering:
1. I don't plan on leaving Verizon
2. Droid is the best phone Verizon carries

Nexus One has no bearing on me as a happy Droid user.

What do you guys think?

I'm a really petty person. I felt the release of the Storm 2 not 12 months after the release of the Storm 1 was a huge slap in the face.

Yeah, companies are supposed to always be working on something newer and better, but what was I then, a beta-tester for a more refined product?

So if this new phone, NexusOne, were available on a CDMA network (Verizon specifically), then yeah, I'd be mildly peeved.

But as it stands right now, like you said, it isn't on Verizon, and you could make a strong argument that the Droid is still the best phone that Verizon carries so I'm OK with it :)

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I'm a really petty person. I felt the release of the Storm 2 not 12 months after the release of the Storm 1 was a huge slap in the face.

Yeah, companies are supposed to always be working on something newer and better, but what was I then, a beta-tester for a more refined product?
I can understand your feeling this way -- because the original Storm was such an awful phone, it almost felt like a beta-test to most of its users, I'm sure.

So if this new phone, NexusOne, were available on a CDMA network (Verizon specifically), then yeah, I'd be mildly peeved.
But I must disagree with you here... Even if the Nexus One were available on Verizon, I honestly don't see it having much of an impact on us. Its only "advantage" over the Droid, hardware-wise, is it's faster CPU. And just because its clock-speed is faster, doesn't mean it will actually run faster... (e.g. my old 3.2 GHz AMD chip is "faster" than my new 2.93GHz i7 chip, but the i7 blows the AMD away when you compare actual processing-power.)

And even if the N1's CPU does actually out-perform the Droid's, there's still nothing that the N1 will do that the Droid can't do after we receive the same 2.1 OS that the N1 will be running.

I honestly don't see the N1 going anywhere... I think Google's gonna realize they've made a huge mistake, and go back to just making the OS for other manufacturer's phones.

asmallchild

Reaction score

I can understand your feeling this way -- because the original Storm was such an awful phone, it almost felt like a beta-test to most of its users, I'm sure.

But I must disagree with you here... Even if the Nexus One were available on Verizon, I honestly don't see it having much of an impact on us. Its only "advantage" over the Droid, hardware-wise, is it's faster CPU. And just because its clock-speed is faster, doesn't mean it will actually run faster... (e.g. my old 3.2 GHz AMD chip is "faster" than my new 2.93GHz i7 chip, but the i7 blows the AMD away when you compare actual processing-power.)

And even if the N1's CPU does actually out-perform the Droid's, there's still nothing that the N1 will do that the Droid can't do after we receive the same 2.1 OS that the N1 will be running.

I honestly don't see the N1 going anywhere... I think Google's gonna realize they've made a huge mistake, and go back to just making the OS for other manufacturer's phones.

That's true I guess.

But as it stands right now, I understand the N1 is supposed to be released on T-Mobile. That's a GSM network right? So I don't think it's headed toward Verizon for a while? Nothing to worry about then.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
Wow something new coming out that is better than something that came out a few months prior??? That never happens, LOL. Just like any other piece of technology it's gonna happen. A few months after the Nexus there will be something else bigger and badder. I enjoy VZW and won't switch just for a phone otherwise I would have done that for the iphone but I like most of America don't have AT&T 3G coverage near me.

asmallchild

Reaction score
Wow something new coming out that is better than something that came out a few months prior??? That never happens, LOL. Just like any other piece of technology it's gonna happen. A few months after the Nexus there will be something else bigger and badder. I enjoy VZW and won't switch just for a phone otherwise I would have done that for the iphone but I like most of America don't have AT&T 3G coverage near me.

I've fallen into the bad habit myself of changing out phones every year

Apparently graduating and earning a decent buck can foster some bad habits after all :icon_ devil:

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Did Apple cheat it's users when they dropped $200 off the price of the phones a couple of years ago?

Technology advances, it's expensive to stay up to date. These days the phone will be 'obsolete' in 3-4 months.

If you like your phone don't worry about what else is new out there.

OP
souljerr

souljerr

Reaction score
Technology advances, it's expensive to stay up to date. These days the phone will be 'obsolete' in 3-4 months.

If you like your phone don't worry about what else is new out there.

Technological advances - the ability to purchase programs, games, applications through the marketplace for example - are another reason I'm so excited about the Droid. I realize there are other phones that can do the same thing but for my situation the ability to customize with exactly what I want make me less inclined to care what is happening on another network.

mjs31

Reaction score
NO way in hell would I go with AT&T or any others again in my area. Besides, I always am the early adopter for many things and completely understand the risk. This being said, I knew the Droid would not be my last phone, but I also know I am not giving it up unless something spectacular comes out. I also know I am not leaving Android for a very long time.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nexus is gonna be hurt by the fact that it's partnered with T-Mobile for now. I'll stick with VZW and service that's dependable.

Tech advances, I don't feel slighted at all. Besides, the more Android devices we see, the further our development will go :)