Should I return my Droid for the Nexus One?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by samiusmc, Dec 29, 2009.

1. samiusmc

samiusmc New Member

I love my Droid but I’ve been checking out the new Nexus One rumored to be released in early January. Since I bought my Droid within Verizon’s promotional time period, I still have time to return it and get the Nexus One if it is released in January.

Am I the only person seriously considering this? If so, someone please talk me out of it!
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Do you want to switch to T-mobile or AT&T?
  3. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

How does the T-Mo network compare to VZW in your area?
  4. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

atm the way it look is the N1 will not be coming to VZW it wont support 3G on AT&T so unless you like T-Mobile its not really that great due to lack of 3G

and no hard keyboard so unless you love soft keyboard which i dont

oh and it wont be discounted so full price cost on phone unless you get discount through TM but there wont be a discount from AT&T most likly
  5. andrewdoane

andrewdoane New Member

You're not the only one considering it. I am not going to do it for several very important reasons.

1. Verizon. The Nexus One won't work on Verizon's network. T-Mobile sucks in my area and it sucks in lots of other areas too. Verizon being the best network in the country is the whole reason I waited for Droid. T-Mobile or AT&T could have the world's greatest phone and I won't consider it unless I can put it on Verizon's network.

2. Physical keyboard. Maybe you don't like the Droid's keyboard but I do. I would hate to lose it.

3. Community. I am sure the Nexus One will eventually have a big following but I doubt it will ever rival the community here and many other places for the Droid.
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Check it Out....Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum
  7. jrocketdroid

jrocketdroid New Member

+1 on all three -
  8. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Nexus one is going to be hindered by the fact it's on T-Mo. Stick with your Droid... The Nexus isn't gonna blow the Droid out of the water, it's just another device. Sure it's got the snapdragon but Droid is no slouch. Enjoy what you got.
  9. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl New Member

Make that +2.

Here's an article from Gizmodo today on the Nexus One--it's definitely only going to be on T-Mobile. Google Nexus One Sold Directly and Only by Google, Officially Supported By T-Mobile - google phone - Gizmodo

I'd also wonder if the Nexus One is going to do to TMobile what the iPhone did to AT&T--cripple their network.

Close to 1 Million Droids haven't left a mark on Verizon's network.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  10. samiusmc

samiusmc New Member

I don't know how T-Mobile is in my area. Is it true they don't have a 3G network? If so, Google is being lame going with them rather than Verizon. I want the Android 2.1. When will the Droid get the update?
  11. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

Later in January 2.1 is coming.

Verizon said no to Google..not vice versa. They ended up protecting the phone manufacturers who are supporting the Android OS instead of allowing Google to backstab them.
  12. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

Tmobile does but the phone will not support AT&Ts 3G only the TMobile one

and the droid 2.1 update i think was announced that it will be coming someone else might have a link or be able to confirm that though
  13. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

My take:

1. Verizon has the best network in the US.
    2. If you already have a Droid, you'll be able to copy all the features off the Nexus One to the Droid after only a couple of weeks, so why pay extra.

I say stick with the Droid and just hack it when the time comes...

Peep Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum and ask some people there too...
  14. Guchi

Guchi New Member

Verizon turned them down, they tried to go verizon. at least thats what i heard
  15. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

Due to Google needing to keep all Android flagship phones up to date for marketplace purposes and developing, there will be no need to hack the Droid. Yeah you can hack it now to use 2.1 EARLY just like when 2.01 was released but remember the Nexus is not even officially released so you are using a beta operating system that could be patched on its release date.

The Moto Droid will always have the most up to date Android OS until the next generation of phones later in 4G/LTE or after. The Droid has the highest client-marketplace ratio of all Android phones and you can bet that things will not change any time soon. Thats what happens when Verizon alone puts 100 million dollars behind a device...and Motorola will begin to advertise on their own.

Due to developers and wanting to compete with the Apple App store, Google and Verizon have no choice but to make sure the Moto Droid is up to date. Like we have discussed before, when T-Mobile had the Android marketplace exclusively, developers wanted to bail and say goodbye. Statistics have now shown that the Moto Droid is the biggest factor of Android growth and that will not change in 2010. [You can't fragment the marketplace so developers can't earn a profit on their apps...this is was one of the biggest gripes coming in to November.]

So there will be no need to hack the Moto Droid. Of course it will have the most up to date Android OS.
  16. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

T-Mobile has a 3G network, it just runs on obscure 3G bands (the 1700MHz band for downstream and the 1900MHz band for upstream). T-Mobile claims it allows for faster downloads, but that's all not realistic in real tests. AT&T uses the 850MHz band for downstream and the 1900MHz band for upstream. 2G is completely compatible with both networks, but 3G will only work on T-Mobile's network.

I am not considering this in the least. I'd rather die than be put through another crappy network. (AT&T was my first, and last.)
  17. andrewdoane

andrewdoane New Member

Right now this forum has 994 people viewing and the Nexus One Forum has 62 people viewing.

Now, I'm not an idiot, I know it will be a lot more than that once the phone is "for sale" in whatever capacity Google decides to sell it. But my prediction, and it's just a prediction, is that there will still be a lot more Droids out there than Nexus Ones. And in general more phones = better community. I love this forum and I know there are several others I can go to also. Nexus One will have an online community, but I suspect it will be smaller and for that reason inferior.
  18. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

There is more like 4200 people viewing the various forums on here at this moment...the statistics you provided while may be extremely general and faulted do warrant some acknowledgment.

Verizon pushed the Droid behind 100 million dollars of marketing dollars and there was a REAL NEED for a smartphone answer to compete with AT&T and Apple. Of course the community of Droid'ers on Verizon will outnumber and crush T-Mobile. T-Mobile is one of the bottom feeders when it comes to carriers.

[That all being said...sheep mentalities never prove anything to me.]
  19. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

I considered this also. The issues everyone have cited are valid.

1) Verizon network. Really my only option in Philadelphia, AT&T is just unacceptable here.

2) Both phones will run the same OS. The only advantage I can see is if Google puts OS features on the Nexus and NOT put it on the Droid. I doubt this would happen, as Google would be "cutting off their own nose to spite their face." If this scenario actually DID happen, yes, it would make sense to want the Nexus, but it won't happen, so its a moot point.

So, with #2 in mind, we come to #3
    3) Hardware differences in the phone. I don't think their will be much difference in performance. The Droid is pretty powerful, and I dont' remember anyone saying the processor for the Nexus will be much better than the Droid. I'm not positive about this, however. Maybe some more techies can explain?

So, if we assume the 3 points above is true, then the ONLY reason it boils down to is this : Aesthetics. The Nexus one doesn't have a keyboard, has the iPod-like one button at the bottom, but the google 4 tab buttons above it, like the Droid. It actually LOOKS like an iPhone. Some people like that, some don't. Its a matter of personal preference.

The way I look at it, there is not much of a choice here. If everything was equal, I'd get a Nexus on Verizon. I don't use the physical keyboard hardly ever and I like the look of the Nexus. But in reality they will be running the same OS and perform the same, so the only difference is the "look" of the phone.

-Wil
  20. brucin

brucin Member

my wife has t-mobile and has no service at many locations in Morris Co. NJ.

Verizon-It's the network baby.