Should I return my Droid for the Nexus One?

samiusmc

Reaction score
I love my Droid but I’ve been checking out the new Nexus One rumored to be released in early January. Since I bought my Droid within Verizon’s promotional time period, I still have time to return it and get the Nexus One if it is released in January.

Am I the only person seriously considering this? If so, someone please talk me out of it!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I love my Droid but I’ve been checking out the new Nexus One rumored to be released in early January. Since I bought my Droid within Verizon’s promotional time period, I still have time to return it and get the Nexus One if it is released in January.

Am I the only person seriously considering this? If so, someone please talk me out of it!

Do you want to switch to T-mobile or AT&T?

TekHawk

Reaction score

atm the way it look is the N1 will not be coming to VZW it wont support 3G on AT&T so unless you like T-Mobile its not really that great due to lack of 3G

and no hard keyboard so unless you love soft keyboard which i dont

oh and it wont be discounted so full price cost on phone unless you get discount through TM but there wont be a discount from AT&T most likly

andrewdoane

Reaction score
You're not the only one considering it. I am not going to do it for several very important reasons.

1. Verizon. The Nexus One won't work on Verizon's network. T-Mobile sucks in my area and it sucks in lots of other areas too. Verizon being the best network in the country is the whole reason I waited for Droid. T-Mobile or AT&T could have the world's greatest phone and I won't consider it unless I can put it on Verizon's network.

2. Physical keyboard. Maybe you don't like the Droid's keyboard but I do. I would hate to lose it.

3. Community. I am sure the Nexus One will eventually have a big following but I doubt it will ever rival the community here and many other places for the Droid.

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
You're not the only one considering it. I am not going to do it for several very important reasons.

1. Verizon. The Nexus One won't work on Verizon's network. T-Mobile sucks in my area and it sucks in lots of other areas too. Verizon being the best network in the country is the whole reason I waited for Droid. T-Mobile or AT&T could have the world's greatest phone and I won't consider it unless I can put it on Verizon's network.

2. Physical keyboard. Maybe you don't like the Droid's keyboard but I do. I would hate to lose it.

3. Community. I am sure the Nexus One will eventually have a big following but I doubt it will ever rival the community here and many other places for the Droid.
+1 on all three -

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nexus one is going to be hindered by the fact it's on T-Mo. Stick with your Droid... The Nexus isn't gonna blow the Droid out of the water, it's just another device. Sure it's got the snapdragon but Droid is no slouch. Enjoy what you got.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score

+1 on all three -

Make that +2.

Here's an article from Gizmodo today on the Nexus One--it's definitely only going to be on T-Mobile. Google Nexus One Sold Directly and Only by Google, Officially Supported By T-Mobile - google phone - Gizmodo

I'd also wonder if the Nexus One is going to do to TMobile what the iPhone did to AT&T--cripple their network.

Close to 1 Million Droids haven't left a mark on Verizon's network.

Last edited:
OP
samiusmc

samiusmc

Reaction score
I don't know how T-Mobile is in my area. Is it true they don't have a 3G network? If so, Google is being lame going with them rather than Verizon. I want the Android 2.1. When will the Droid get the update?

LordKastle

Reaction score
Later in January 2.1 is coming.

Verizon said no to Google..not vice versa. They ended up protecting the phone manufacturers who are supporting the Android OS instead of allowing Google to backstab them.

TekHawk

Reaction score
Tmobile does but the phone will not support AT&Ts 3G only the TMobile one

and the droid 2.1 update i think was announced that it will be coming someone else might have a link or be able to confirm that though

J

JohnDroid

My take:

1. Verizon has the best network in the US.
2. If you already have a Droid, you'll be able to copy all the features off the Nexus One to the Droid after only a couple of weeks, so why pay extra.

I say stick with the Droid and just hack it when the time comes...

Peep Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum and ask some people there too...

Guchi

Reaction score
I don't know how T-Mobile is in my area. Is it true they don't have a 3G network? If so, Google is being lame going with them rather than Verizon. I want the Android 2.1. When will the Droid get the update?

Verizon turned them down, they tried to go verizon. at least thats what i heard

LordKastle

Reaction score
Due to Google needing to keep all Android flagship phones up to date for marketplace purposes and developing, there will be no need to hack the Droid. Yeah you can hack it now to use 2.1 EARLY just like when 2.01 was released but remember the Nexus is not even officially released so you are using a beta operating system that could be patched on its release date.

The Moto Droid will always have the most up to date Android OS until the next generation of phones later in 4G/LTE or after. The Droid has the highest client-marketplace ratio of all Android phones and you can bet that things will not change any time soon. Thats what happens when Verizon alone puts 100 million dollars behind a device...and Motorola will begin to advertise on their own.

Due to developers and wanting to compete with the Apple App store, Google and Verizon have no choice but to make sure the Moto Droid is up to date. Like we have discussed before, when T-Mobile had the Android marketplace exclusively, developers wanted to bail and say goodbye. Statistics have now shown that the Moto Droid is the biggest factor of Android growth and that will not change in 2010. [You can't fragment the marketplace so developers can't earn a profit on their apps...this is was one of the biggest gripes coming in to November.]

So there will be no need to hack the Moto Droid. Of course it will have the most up to date Android OS.

Last edited: