Who will be returning/selling the droid for the Nexus One?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
And face it - you're in a dark alley, cornered by thugs and all your have is either the Droid, IPhone, or Nexus One to defend yourself with.

Without a question anyone would pick the Droid. Smash head.

x25064

Reaction score
And face it - you're in a dark alley, cornered by thugs and all your have is either the Droid, IPhone, or Nexus One to defend yourself with.

Without a question anyone would pick the Droid. Smash head.

lmao, end thread.

Went from an Omnia to this, now I'm constantly checking that my ipod isn't in my pocket and my droid is back home. :p Heavy as a brick but you can't do anything but love them.

Dandroid247

Reaction score
Before you guys jump ship... think about this :

How will you play punchout on SNESOID without the keyboard?

Did you think about this?

-Wil

man every time i try to play punch out it always lags soooooo bad :(. Double Dragon runs fine though :) lol.

In answer to the op though, I really dunno. I have until the 15th to figure it out. I really like the fact that I've learned so much about rooting and doing all sorts of cool stuff with the Droid, and I really dig the screen. I don't really use the KB except to play snes and nes roms. I will also say that when I ran 2.1 on it I really liked it and the live wallpapers looked great.

I guess what is really gonna make the difference for me personally is how much faster is the N1 really going to be? I know most people are saying that essentially the two will be the same, but I guess the version of 2.1 that I know wasn't optimized for the droid ran so clunky on my droid that it's making me wonder ya know.

Other than that I am very happy with my Droid. Especially now that its rooted, I can put boot up animations on it, I have the multi touch browser (even though it still acts wonky sometimes lol), and can basically customize anything I want.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

-Wil

man every time i try to play punch out it always lags soooooo bad :(. Double Dragon runs fine though :) lol.

In answer to the op though, I really dunno. I have until the 15th to figure it out. I really like the fact that I've learned so much about rooting and doing all sorts of cool stuff with the Droid, and I really dig the screen. I don't really use the KB except to play snes and nes roms. I will also say that when I ran 2.1 on it I really liked it and the live wallpapers looked great.

I guess what is really gonna make the difference for me personally is how much faster is the N1 really going to be? I know most people are saying that essentially the two will be the same, but I guess the version of 2.1 that I know wasn't optimized for the droid ran so clunky on my droid that it's making me wonder ya know.

Other than that I am very happy with my Droid. Especially now that its rooted, I can put boot up animations on it, I have the multi touch browser (even though it still acts wonky sometimes lol), and can basically customize anything I want.
My two favorite NESoid games!!!
Punchout only lags sometimes. I find if it starts lagging I'll 'kill' NESoid, reload, and usually it runs great :)

frbooker87

Reaction score
Na I love the droid because its different...I always have the keyboard slid out so if I'm next to someone with an iphone or any other phone that looks like an iphone (ahem, nexus one) I always stand out

ips

Reaction score
If google keeps supporting all the newer phones (like they are with the 2.1 update coming in a few days) I see no reason to wait for the nexus in spring when I can get the droid this month

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If google keeps supporting all the newer phones (like they are with the 2.1 update coming in a few days) I see no reason to wait for the nexus in spring when I can get the droid this month
I like this train of thought :)

olletsocmit

Reaction score
majority of people say there not going to give the droid up. I think minds will change when people actually play with the phones and see the in person. and the other biggest reason is that they do not want to mess with their contracts, not that the droid is better. hahah

authority11

Reaction score

-Wil

My two favorite NESoid games!!!
Punchout only lags sometimes. I find if it starts lagging I'll 'kill' NESoid, reload, and usually it runs great :)

I know what you guys are talking about regarding the lag and Punchout. I even made a thread about it on here a while back.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-games/7749-nesoid-mike-tysons-punch-out.html

You fix it by going to NESoid settings and enabling "Accurate Rendering".

And yes, btw, I am also one of those who wouldn't trade my Droid for N1 because the lack of a physical keyboard would obsolete NESoid, SNESoid, etc.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
majority of people say there not going to give the droid up. I think minds will change when people actually play with the phones and see the in person. and the other biggest reason is that they do not want to mess with their contracts, not that the droid is better. hahah

maybe, but on the same note... we might play with the Nexus and see that it's not leaps and bounds better. Can go either way :)

ips

Reaction score
The endgadget review is what did it for me... They admitted to missing the droid in some cases during the review.

The differences will be much more in looks and preferences than in actual performance it seems. The snapdragon will either be underclocked or eat batteries like crazy and most of the differences Ive seen between the droid and nexus seem to be more 2.1 than hardware.

Im sure the nexus will appeal to people more on other networks that didnt get the droid like tmobile.

wil318466

Reaction score
There are some KEY points in the engadget review that are pretty important to this discussion. Here are the points, word for word, below. I'll comment up here and you can read below for the full expanded points.

1 - Summed up this entire paragraph with one line "It's a good Android phone, but not the last word -- in fact, if we had to choose between this phone or the Droid right now, we would lean towards the latter." Pretty powerful statement.

2- The speaker on the Droid rocks. I constantly put on music or the news and listen to it in the bathroom while taking a shower (not IN the shower, mind you).

3- I don't care about stuff like this, usually. Color balance may be able to be fixed, but this talks about it like its a hardware display issue. I'm not a tech expert, but hey, the Nexus has flaws. :)

4- Summed up in "The phone is fast, assuredly, but not so much of a leap up from the Droid that we felt it kept pace with the boost we were expecting. "

So, as I've been saying... its just a personal preference in most cases, and in some cases the Droid might be preferable to some. I dont' see the Nexus doing anything the Droid can't, really.

From the Engadget article :

1. "Industry politics aside, though, the Nexus One is at its core just another Android smartphone. It's a particularly good one, don't get us wrong -- certainly up there with the best of its breed -- but it's not in any way the Earth-shattering, paradigm-skewing device the media and community cheerleaders have built it up to be. It's a good Android phone, but not the last word -- in fact, if we had to choose between this phone or the Droid right now, we would lean towards the latter. Of course, if Google's goal is to spread Android more wide than deep, maybe this is precisely the right phone at the right time: class-leading processor, vibrant display, sexy shell, and just a sprinkling of geekiness that only Google could pull off this effortlessly."

2. "As a phone, the Nexus One isn't dramatically different than most GSM devices you've probably used. In terms of earpiece quality and volume, it's certainly on par with its contemporaries, providing a loud, reasonably clean talking experience, though it doesn't touch the Droid in terms of call clarity and evenness. The loudspeaker, on the other hand, seemed extremely tinny to our ears, making for a pretty unpleasant companion for conference calls, with the midrange cutting through in a way that could be painful at times. We'd be inclined to blame that issue on the extremely thin housing here, but it's hard to say what the real culprit is."

3. "The 3.7-inch display should be stunning -- and is for the most part -- but we did have some issues with it (at least on the unit we have). In terms of touch sensitivity, the display is as good or better than any Android phone we've used. While the resolution is high (480 x 800), it's missing 48 pixels that we expected given the size of the Droid's screen. It didn't bother us that much, but it's noticeable in certain apps -- Gmail for instance, where you have to scroll further in some menus than you do on the Droid. The big issue with the screen, though, is actually the color balance. We found colors on the Nexus One, particularly in the reds and oranges, to be severely blown-out and oversaturated -- a common effect with AMOLED displays like the Nexus One's. At first we thought Google had tweaked some of the Market settings because the highlight orange was so bright, but comparing images on the web across different displays, the Nexus One consistently looked brighter then it should have. Oh, and using this thing in daylight? Forget about it. Like most screens of this type, the Nexus One is a nightmare to see with any kind of bright light around, and snapping photos with it on a sunny day was like taking shots with your eyes closed."

4. "As you've heard, the Nexus One runs atop the much-hyped, rarely seen 1GHz Snapdragon CPU from Qualcomm (the same processor powering the HD2) -- really the highlight of this show. The phone also has 512MB of both RAM and ROM, but those hoping for new application storage options will find themselves out of luck yet again -- you're still limited to that small partition for app use. The display is an AMOLED, 480 x 800 capacitive touchscreen, and the handset also contains a light sensor, proximity sensor, and accelerometer, along with an HSPA-capable GSM radio (AWS and euro 2100MHz bands only for 3G -- sorry AT&T users), WiFi, the prerequisite AGPS chip, and a microSD slot (which comes loaded with a 4GB card, but is expandable to 32GB). By late-2009 / early-2010 standards, there's really nothing notable about the guts of this phone beyond the presence of a Snapdragon processor, and even that left something to be desired. The phone is fast, assuredly, but not so much of a leap up from the Droid that we felt it kept pace with the boost we were expecting. Scrolling lists and opening apps seemed speedy, but put simply, it's not a whole new Android experience (we'll talk more about this in the software section)."