Want to early terminate to get the Droid X. Will Big Red have an issue?

J

Johnly

Verizon can be talked to, let them know what you want and the cost options. If you get a good rep, I am sure something will work out. Try that first then shoot.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is what I did when I wanted the Droid:

- Bought cheap ugly LG Chocolate on craigslist ($30)
- Created a new line on my account to get the droid ($200+fees)
- Told them I wanted the Droid moved to my main line and Chocolate moved to the new line on a plan with no texts, no special features, etc ($10)

That's it. The only downside is you now have an extra 9.99 a month so two years of that is $240 so in the end you pay close to full retail but not all at once AND in addition, this second line comes in handy because it gives you a second upgrade every 2 years in addition to your main line, and it also gives you an extra line for things such as advertising on craigslist, calling places you don't trust 100%, using if your main line is lost/stolen/damaged until insurance replacement arrives, etc.

In fact, I can get an X right now because my main line is ready for upgrade since i got the Droid using the new line.

Reaction score
You can do this, check the math to see if it works for you:

Add a second line to get the Droid X. Activate the droid on on your existing line. Use an old dumb phone for the new line. Then go online and make the new line minimum service.

eliassami5

Reaction score
what do you mean you cant switch? ill show you how to "switch" the numbers..meaning you keep the same number and just swap it to a different phone.

Turn off your active phone
Turn on the phone you want your number to be switched to
Dial *228 from that phone, press option 3
Input your phone number and account pin when you are prompted
And thats it..your number has now been "switched"

bje1982

Reaction score

Add a second line to get the Droid X. Activate the droid on on your existing line. Use an old dumb phone for the new line. Then go online and make the new line minimum service.

You cannot cancel a line and immediately activate a new line to get a discount on a phone...

This guys best bet is to call Verizon and give them hell.

Reaction score
it also gives you an extra line for things such as advertising on craigslist, calling places you don't trust 100%, using if your main line is lost/stolen/damaged until insurance replacement arrives, etc.

Then you add this line to Google Voice so you don't even have to keep the phone charged.

:)

bje1982

Reaction score
what do you mean you cant switch? ill show you how to "switch" the numbers..meaning you keep the same number and just swap it to a different phone.

Turn off your active phone
Turn on the phone you want your number to be switched to
Dial *228 from that phone, press option 3
Input your phone number and account pin when you are prompted
And thats it..your number has now been "switched"

He wants to cancell his current line just to activate a new line for the discount.. This cannot be done.

I am a manager for Verizon.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score

You cannot cancel a line and immediately activate a new line to get a discount on a phone...

That isn't what he told him to do. He told him to create a new line. He didn't mention canceling anything. He recommended the same thing I did...

bje1982

Reaction score

This can be done.. I call it the "payment plan" lol because youll get the discount up front but you pay close to retail because you have another $240 over the next 2 years with a line that will sit in your drawer.

bje1982

Reaction score
I thought everyone with a moto droid was eligible for upgrade through new promotion

No... The training document is posted in a thread on this forum. It clearly explains it.

Edit: Sorry my posts got crossed everybodys posting so damn fast lool

OP
M
Reaction score
I am pretty sure when you do an ETF, they make you wait six months before starting a new contract.

that would dash those plans then. Guess I'll just bite the bullet next month and call and explain what I'm thinking. Thanks for all the replies.

Are you, perchance, on a family plan? If so, this plan may work. Add a new line of service for the X, then afterward cancel the droid line. Youll be hit with the ETF of course, but after you pay it, you can then port your old number. Ive considered doing this.

nope, just a single line.

OP
M
Reaction score
This is what I did when I wanted the Droid:

- Bought cheap ugly LG Chocolate on craigslist ($30)
- Created a new line on my account to get the droid ($200+fees)
- Told them I wanted the Droid moved to my main line and Chocolate moved to the new line on a plan with no texts, no special features, etc ($10)

That's it. The only downside is you now have an extra 9.99 a month so two years of that is $240 so in the end you pay close to full retail but not all at once AND in addition, this second line comes in handy because it gives you a second upgrade every 2 years in addition to your main line, and it also gives you an extra line for things such as advertising on craigslist, calling places you don't trust 100%, using if your main line is lost/stolen/damaged until insurance replacement arrives, etc.

In fact, I can get an X right now because my main line is ready for upgrade since i got the Droid using the new line.

interesting....

Reaction score

Reread what I said. I said nothing about canceling.