My Razr MAXX has a horrible battery life! What's going on??

OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score
I put my phone on 3g and im on 89% right now after 2 hours and 20 minutes. And until just now most of thoae 2 hours i was sleeping. At this pace my phone will be dead in 20 hours if i never even touch if. Dont think my 3g experiment is off to a positive start

teeithiletitfly

Reaction score
I do not know if anyone has suggested running a System Update. I realize it is a shot in the dark for you at this point but just in the vein of covering all the bases.

lowfatdog

Reaction score
I am at 90% after 14 hours and 2 minutes off charger. I slept 7 hours out of that time and I was still at 100% when I checked after I got up. I have not used it that much besides a couple quick phone calls, face book and a few texts (sent from my personal assistant program). WiFi has used most of my battery power. All the locations settings are on and wifi is on along with my 4g. Did someone state 3g and wifi could not be on at the same time? Is it different for 4g and wifi? I notice sometimes the 4g is on and other times just the wifi is on?

OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score
Quick update from the OP. I turned 4g off today and so far being on battery for 10 1/2 hours my battery is at 35% with 3 hours of screen time. No phone calls, just some txts and alot of facebook. And my phone was fully charged at 8 this morning.

OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score
Another update. After 11 hrs and 40 minutes on battery i have 20% left with 3 hours and 40 minutes of screen time, mostly from using facebook. No apps running and turned off 4g. This cant be right....

Reaction score
i'm going to be following this thread as i feel like i am experiencing the same type of battery drain. in the beginning i thought i was doing pretty good, but compared to everyone else i feel as though i am getting the short end of the stick. i can't foresee my particular phone doing 10 hours of streaming video like a lot of others seem to be doing. 7 hours idle + 7 hours of light use and 90%? ridiculous. i lose about 1.5%/hour without doing anything, which i believed was normal in the beginning.

edit:
for reference i've rooted and frozen nearly all the bloatware. i'm on .173 (which actually improved battery life imo), ~-85dBm area all day.

Last edited:
OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score
OP here again. I'm home from work and after 12 hours and 48 minutes on battery with a screen time of 4 hours, by battery is at 15% and needs a charge. I did alot of facebooking and a little internet browsing but nothing else. No phone calls, and I turned off 4g and screen goes off after 30 seconds. The display was the biggest battey eater at 47% with the OS next at 18%. I thought maybe turning 4g off would help but obviously not. Could there be any other explanation other than a bad phone at this point??

Section_10

Reaction score
i lose about 1.5%/hour without doing anything, which i believed was normal in the beginning.
Exactly. This is the same problem I had with Thunderbolt and now.....even the Maxx :(
Something is running and draining.
To me it was the Location Agent, Social Location, Facebook, Kernel..(different apps) that would insist on running despite on the auto kill list

honors21

Reaction score
My battery life is getting worse everyday and I'm not doing anything different did a reset it hasn't helped.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
OP here again. I'm home from work and after 12 hours and 48 minutes on battery with a screen time of 4 hours, by battery is at 15% and needs a charge. I did alot of facebooking and a little internet browsing but nothing else. No phone calls, and I turned off 4g and screen goes off after 30 seconds. The display was the biggest battey eater at 47% with the OS next at 18%. I thought maybe turning 4g off would help but obviously not. Could there be any other explanation other than a bad phone at this point??

Well there's your problem, 4 hours of screen time! My phone had been on for 6.5 hours and I've still got 79% of my battery left, however; I only have 1.5 hours of screen time. I also have to disagree about 4g, I've done the experiment 3 times this week and when on 4g I have 20% less battery at the end of the night. That is pretty significant.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

Kas84

Reaction score
Well there's your problem, 4 hours of screen time! My phone had been on for 6.5 hours and I've still got 79% of my battery left, however; I only have 1.5 hours of screen time. I also have to disagree about 4g, I've done the experiment 3 times this week and when on 4g I have 20% less battery at the end of the night. That is pretty significant.

I try to leave my screen off as much as possible. The display sucks the life out of the thing. Until they come out with a more advanced Li-ion battery I see no other way than to just limit screen time or just completely dim your backlight when using.

OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score

Does anyone else agree that I am actually geting normal battey life?? The Motorola web site says the MAXX can get 7 straight hours of web browsing on a battery. If that's the case then my battery shouldn't be dead in 12 hours on 4 hours of display time...

Section_10

Reaction score
Does anyone else agree that I am actually geting normal battey life?? The Motorola web site says the MAXX can get 7 straight hours of web browsing on a battery. If that's the case then my battery shouldn't be dead in 12 hours on 4 hours of display time...

Do the math.. if it drops 1.5 points every hour.. thats less than 90 hours of the 380 it claims to be able to get. My iPhone for instance can drop 2 percentage points over night, -+8 hours. It literally lasts me days.
I'm sure the batteries are ok, they're all 3300mah but something is draining them. Bad Processors, faultly software..etc. On the some of the units the processors simply dont stop running, either its multiple apps running a little or one process thats a drain and not listed as an "App Running"...but something is.
I tried the normal battery life savers, it has NOTHING to do with that. We're talking major battery drain after factory resets. Its not the 4g, Background data, sync, wifi...tricks. Something outside most users abilities. Just returned my unit, gonna wait this one out till they get it right. You can't exchange because they're not shipping them to stores (which we haven't established why) so your 14 day would be eaten up by shipping time.

OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score
After 7 hours on battery today with 3 hours 20 minutes of display time mostly from fb i have 26% battery left. I am going to try exchanging this for a new phone

SEColwell

Reaction score
I have been on 4g since 2pm with 3h 40min of display and I have 40% battery with 12hrs of use.....

Mr.Colwell's Razr Maxx covered with an otterbox defender with an invisisheild screen protector! ®™