My Razr MAXX has a horrible battery life! What's going on??

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
My battery life sucked the first three days of use. I would take it off the charger @ 4:40am and by 2:30pm I would be @ 20%. During setup I initially told task manager to kill Verizon location agent, 2 minutes after screen turned off. Once I canceled that action, my battery has been excellent!! Took the phone off the charger again @ 4:40am and @ 2:30pm I was still @ 80%. Didn't put the maxx on the charger the following night to see what the level would be @ the next morning and it was @ 40%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nope a factory reset is the SOP. It's the first thing they'll do.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

Go to: Settings, Privacy, Factory Data Reset. I would do just the internal memory reset.
Then I would use it for a few days before adding any apps to make sure it is improved.
If that doesn't fix it, get a replacement because your battery problems are NOT normal.

daudi81

Reaction score
My battery was pretty good the first couple of days, nothing like some of the people get on here though.

However, this last time I let it charge all the way down - and then charged it all the way up. I took it off the charger at about 8am Sunday morning. I used it at church quite a bit, my kid played games quite a bit on it that day. It was down to about 60% that night before I went to bed at about 11pm. Did not put it on the charger, woke up at 8am - it was at 50%. Did not put it on the charger, used it quite a bit - games, internet, etc. I finally got the battery warning at 10-15% or whatever it is - at about 4pm today before I left work.

Holy crap - crazy battery life!!!

The one thing I think that helped is that I put the display brightness at "automatic" and that seemed to dim it quite a bit.

JosephWoods

Reaction score
This phone set is known for its low battery life. There is nothing to worry about. If you want a better battery life, you have to change your set.

miltk

Reaction score
i didn't know how to test my usage because all that stuff can be so inconsistent, so it just played movies. i figured looping a movie is the only constant i could test the phone with.

i was able to play a 2hr movie 10x,,,stream same movie on netflix almost 5x. the only thing i haven't tried yet is gps. everything else i can do on the phone i know i won't ever do enough to chew up battery life.

btw, here's an email from motorola support about battery.."The phone does not receive a maximum charge at the factory. The battery is not fully charged out of the box. We recommend that you drain the battery before charging to full." i know some people suggest juicing up the battery out of the box. in the past i always did so, but this time i started thinking if the phone is charged at the factory then why charge it out of the box?

Last edited:

dwagner88

Reaction score
This phone set is known for its low battery life. There is nothing to worry about. If you want a better battery life, you have to change your set.
There is a lot of BS floating around in this thread. This post is the worst.
Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX battery trial is over, meet our new champion [TEST] - GSMArena Blog
OP, you shouldn't ever have to shut off your GPS, bluetooth, or wifi. These things should be using minuscule amounts of power. For example, GPS only runs when you navigate, or have maps open, or if your location is requested by an app. It absolutely should not be constantly running, and if it does, you have an app that is hung up using it in the background. If you disable it, you must then manually re-enable it to use navigation. That is annoying and it is not the way the phone is intended to work. I can promise you that turning Bluetooth off won't make a noticeable difference.

OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score
As the OP I have an update. I went to the Verizon store yesterday and they insisted my battery was normal. I took my phone to work today after taking if off the charger at 8am and at exactly 12 hours later I came home with a battery of 27%. GPS was off, screen turns off after 30 seconds, and display is dimmed. Display used up 41% of battery which was the most with the OS 2nd at 16% with the browser next at 15%. And the display was on for just over 3 hours. I used alot a facebook, some web browsing, some txts and no phone calls. And now 2 hours later, my phone has been off the battery for 14 hours, although now that I'm home I used it alot less and my battey is at 18% with 3 1/2 hours of screen time. I know everyone has different answers but is this anywhere near normal? Should I just go back to Verizon and demand a new phone? I don't have any apps running either....:frown:

SEColwell

Reaction score
This is today for me and there was 3 more things that doesn't show .....and I am still at 50% battery .....its got to be a bad battery.....I would return to vzw with a few print outs of some screen shots of battery usage from us here

Mr. Colwell's Droid Razr MAXX

OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score
Wow! There's no way my phone could ever last as long as that! Can 4G really be draining my battery that much like the Verizon store people said?

SEColwell

Reaction score
Yes 4g does drain faster.....I run 3g because 4g I don't feel is ready when I am playing sometimes I switch it on but never leave it on......try running 3g only tomorrow and see what happens and I will turn 4g on and see if my battery drains faster..... will post tomorrow evening after church

OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score
Yes 4g does drain faster.....I run 3g because 4g I don't feel is ready when I am playing sometimes I switch it on but never leave it on......try running 3g only tomorrow and see what happens and I will turn 4g on and see if my battery drains faster..... will post tomorrow evening after church

Will do. How can I turn off 4g for my expierment tomorrow?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yep I have agree, even though I get great battery life I've noticed that 4g sucks battery like a vampire.

My normal day is 10 hours, when I leave 4g on all day compared to 3g I get at least 20% less battery life.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

SEColwell

Reaction score
4g is not connecting but I have had it on since 6 am and I am at 90% on battery which is normal......will keep switching though