1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Razr Maxx battery life

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by ndtaylor77, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77 New Member

Why am I not getting this extra long life with my battery everyone is talking about? My last phone was a Droid X2 and it's battery performed better than my razr maxx. I got the phone 3 days ago, so I thought I may have just been using it too much. I didn't charge it last night to test this. I went to bed at 11 pm with 40% battery. I woke up at 4 am to an alert letting me know my battery was at 15%. I let the battery die down and then I charged it completely. I have barely used the phone today. I've exchanged a handful of texts and read a couple of emails and my battery is down to 60% in about 10 hours. I have less widgets running than i did on my X2 and have downloaded very few apps. My settings are the same. I can't put a finger on what may be going on. Any suggestios?
  2. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

Well have you looked at your battery usage information? That will give you an idea what is using power.
  3. ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77 New Member

The Droid operating system and display are the biggest users of battery. My display has been on less than 20 minutes total today.
  4. SEColwell

SEColwell New Member

This mine for today and as you can see I am at 44% after 15 he off charge...and 4 hrs of screen time

Mr.Colwell's Razr Maxx covered with an otterbox defender with an invisisheild screen protector! ®™

Attached Files:

5. coolbreeze704

coolbreeze704 New Member

This phone is amazing. The worst I have seen is 36 hours run time between charges. Most charge cycles last more than 48. Using Smart Actions properly makes all the difference. Got to use the Wifi when you can and turn the 4g/3g off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  6. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

Are you on 4G all the time or you switch between 3G and wifi?
    1 person likes this.
  7. MrTommy

MrTommy New Member

I dunno about you, but MY battery performance is wonderous!

Exactly my sentiments! I came from an original Moto Droid I, and the performance of the battery on this new Maxx is almost beyond description (compared to my old Droid, of course). I've even opted to leave my mobile charging cord at home when I head off for my usual 14 hour day of driving a truck. Worst so far (in the two weeks I've owned this new one) is coming home with 50%. I talk a lot, surf moderately with 3G/1G (since here in the middle of Nevada you're lucky to get ANY G), and do considerable texting. Not sure what these other folks are doing to get such poor performance from their batteries.
  8. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

I used to freak out with my d1 when I would get down to 30%. But with this phone, when I get down to 30% it doesn't just drop off to zero in a hurry, it takes it sweet time.

9. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

I rarely get less than 3h of screen time with 50% battery left. That is regular daily use on 4G. On the weekend when I use it less and mostly on wifi I typically get 2 full days off charge before needing to juice up again. I have never been in a situation where I have had to worry about going dead. And I don't baby it. Everything on, screen at 80%, no smart actions, etc.

Tap'd to the Maxx
  10. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Trikotret is asking the right kind of questions - if you are dropping charge that quickly when you're not using the phone, something in running that doesn't need to be. Look at data connections and apps like Facebook. I would consider using Smart Actions to control some of your usage (like turning off 3G/4G data when you have wifi access) and/or using a program like Juice Defender.
  11. ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77 New Member

I'm usually on 3g. I don't live in a 4g area. My battery was at 40% last night when I went to bed and at 40% this morning when I woke up. I had the phone connected to wifi and in airplane mode. I also removed a couple of widgets. I understand there are certain things I can do to increase battery life. I just don't understand why I lost 25% of battery two nights ago with the same things going on as I had on my Droid X2. My X2 never lost 25% in a night. I actually had more widgets and apps running on my X2.
  12. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

Your Location is killing your battery. X2 was 3g phone, razr is 4g. My guess is you are in an area with weak 4g reception and phone keeps draining battery trying to hold on to 4g.
  13. pcataldi

pcataldi New Member

The MAXX guarantees up to 21 hours of talk time, not data surfing. The built in task manager has been great for me. There have an auto end list where you can place apps that will automatically shut off 2 minutes after the screen times out. I listed facebook and all of my video and map apps as they are data hungry. Also, if you are not in a 4g coverage area, shut off your 4g. The phone will continue to search for 4g signal although you are not in a 4g area.

14. DocsDad

DocsDad New Member

I think what Xeene is suggesting is to attempt to cure this by going to menu/settings/wireless and networks/mobile networks/network mode. Choose CDMA (no LTE) and it will turn 4G off. The 4G search kills battery.

When your city goes 4G, turn it back on. :)
    1 person likes this.
  15. ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77 New Member

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.
  16. Andielyn

Andielyn New Member

I also want to thank you for the suggestions! I have a new RAZR MAXX and I am not getting the battery life I expect, either. In fact, I thought they sent me a RAZR in error ;) so I compared them physically in the Verizon store today and yep, I have the MAXX. I have had my phone less than a week with low to moderate use. I am in a 3G area so I have turned off the 4G to see if that's the drain. Ironically that doesn't show in under "battery use".

So a naive question: when I am in a 4G area, will I still get the same sort of 4G search battery drain or is the drain occurring while it is looking for a 4G signal?
  17. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET New Member

How many hours are you getting on a charge. What kind of usage are you doing. I can get 14 hours with heavy usage and 22 hours with normal usage. All in 4G area on a single charge.

18. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

I was wondering this as well?? I am quite impressed with battery life so far. What are you expecting and what do you consider low to moderate use? Yesterday I talked on the phone did texts and used GPS and had 50% left when I went to bed at midnight and I was off charge at 7am. I am also in a 3G area and turned off 4G. I am home most of the day and have data and gps off unless I leave. I watched two netflix shows the day before as well as talked on the phone and again was around 60% battery by the end of the day.
  19. Andielyn

Andielyn New Member

Thanks for the replies. When I was thinking moderate use, I downloaded a few apps but not much app activity, a few phone calls, texts, checked/sent a few emails, etc. The first full day with a full charge I spent a good bit of time playing with it and familiarizing myself with it so I had my display on a good bit. I was down to under 30% by bed, and I didn't expect it to be that low. Yesterday early evening I checked the battery usage, and phone calls were ~40% of my power consumption and I had a total talk time of 38 minutes (and the battery was currently at 40%). I haven't crunched the numbers yet but that just off the cuff seems a little low. I think of heavy usage and video, gaming, etc.

Right now I'm at 70% with 43% being display (3.5 hours) total time on battery ~11 hrs. WiFi 17%, OS 17%, and haven't really used it for anything today except standby.

I don't feel I've really pushed it yet so I'm curious. Other than figuring out the battery issue, I LOVE this phone! This is actually my first smartphone and I have been watching the market for awhile but when the RAZR MAXX came out and Verizon had the Leap Day sale (plus double data, etc.) I knew it was time to act, even though 4G is not in my area yet. I do realize that I'm not going to get battery life I'm used to from a basic cell phone, so I'm not expecting that.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

edited: I should say I JUST turned off the 4G after reading that suggestion in this thread, not that I had turned it off previously.
  20. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

Well right now 3:30pm EST been off charger sense 7am. I have 75% battery. Voice calls 44%(1hr) OS 21% wi-fi 10% display 6%(46 mn). I keep my display at the lowest setting not for battery conservation just because I still think its to bright. So really that is not to bad 3.5 hr of display is quite a while. The first day I got mine I had the display on for 5 or 6 hrs and by the time I went to bed it was down to 30% and it was off a full charge around noon that day and I plugged it in around midnight.

Have you set up any smart settings like turning your cell data off when your on Wi fi at home and keeping the GPS off as well?
Search tags for this page
droid razr maxx battery doesn't last long
droid razr maxx can't run more than one program at a time an
how long does battery last on motorola maxx
how long does battery last on razr maxx

how long does droid razr maxx battery last

how long does the droid razr maxx battery last

how long does the razr maxx battery last

how long will my razr mazz last
my droid maxx doesn't last 2 days
my motorola droid razr maxx battery is being run down by android os
razr maxx battery doesn't last long