Motorola Droid Pro

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've decided to make the upgrade up to a smart phone. I don't necessarily need it, I think it will just be useful at times. I am trying to decide on which phone to buy. At this point I'm considering the Droid X/Shadow, 2 or wait a while for the Pro. What will the the big difference between say the Droid X and the Droid Pro? Obviously different hardware but I was wondering what the advantage of have a 2ghz processor vs 1ghz processor for a normal user? Same with the extra RAM. I will mainly use the phone for web browsing, light gaming and of course calling.
Droid 2 and Droid X are close and a release is basically confirmed (however no date)

Droid Pro is still just a hope and dream. No real evidence of it yet. Let alone launch. Guestimate is for the end of 2010.

brumby05

Reaction score
Droid 2 and Droid X are close and a release is basically confirmed (however no date)

Droid Pro is still just a hope and dream. No real evidence of it yet. Let alone launch. Guestimate is for the end of 2010.

I get that thanks, I guess my question wasn't quite clear.
Obviously the faster and more powerful the better, but with phones how big of a difference will that make? My question is, what advantages will the increase in hardware have on the use of the phone? Will apps just run faster, or will the actual apps change to tailor towards higher speed phones?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I get that thanks, I guess my question wasn't quite clear.
Obviously the faster and more powerful the better, but with phones how big of a difference will that make? My question is, what advantages will the increase in hardware have on the use of the phone? Will apps just run faster, or will the actual apps change to tailor towards higher speed phones?
As phones advances apps will as well. But most of the apps for Android are compatible across all versions.

If you're a power user, you'll notice the difference in processor speed more so than an average user.

Take the Droid for example, while many people have it overclock, at 600mhz, it's more than capable of handling apps, web browsing, Flash, and games.

So another Moto product with more power is only going to enhance that.

In short, you can't go wrong with any of the choices out now.

SyrusGuyrus

Reaction score
@Martin030908 What do you mean by you cant go wrong with any of the choices?

--------------------------------
Personally, the Droid Pro almost sounds like Androids Tablet to me.

J

Johnly

:hail::hail::rating10::bling::icon_ rocker::icon_censored::yeahbaby01::cool:Pro Pro Pro Pro

brando56894

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Normally I keep a phone for 2 years; this time I may not.

Same here, I just got my droid in march and im on a 2 year contract so I probably wont upgrade soon, maybe come next march if something really amazes me I may break my contract but I doubt it.

Sounds pretty sick, screen size isnt that much of an issue to me im more interested in the ram and cpu upgrades in the current or coming devices :)

I definitely can type faster on a virtual keyboard than a physical keyboard. Why? No press down and click. Guess what? Nothing to break either! Though I'm more accurate on a physical keyboard.

What would be cool is if the keybord was a slideout android touchscreen keyboard instead of a phical keyboard. Because I can hammer out text on a onscreen keyboard really fast but it takes up alot of the screen space. So a slide out form of the keyboard would be sweet.

I prefer an actual physical keyboard but damn...that's a really good idea.

Agreed, thats an awesome idea. Myself I love the virtual keyboard, as stated before, you can type ridiculously fast with it but it takes up most or all of the screen when in use. To have it slide out and morph depending on the application would definitely make me want to break my contract and upgrade!

BeADroid

Reaction score
I want this phone, with a 2 ghz processor, it will be INSANE!!!!!!:icon_ laughup: I can not wait for more news.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Martin030908 What do you mean by you cant go wrong with any of the choices?

--------------------------------
Personally, the Droid Pro almost sounds like Androids Tablet to me.
I meant that whatever Droid device you pick that's out now or coming out, I don't think you'll be disappointed. ie Moto Droid, Moto X, Droid 2, Droid Inc.

SyrusGuyrus

Reaction score
Ohh, gotcha. Cause i was deadset on getting the X then I heard about the pro, and had second thoughts, but ill just stickto the DX cause I know it is coming out and its not just a rumour

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I didn't have the Droid already I'd get the X. I like the look of it. Hopefully it's able to be rooted quickly and some ROMs come out for it. :)

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
If i get rid of my Incredible the Droid Pro or another HTC device is what i would be getting.

DROIDpfft

Reaction score
megapixels mean absolutely nothing to me. My 2mp fuji takes better pics than my 5mp droid. And who really needs higher resolution than that anyway?

How bout just keep it at 5mp, but improve the picture quality? What a novel idea.

well increasing the cameras megapixel IS increasing the picture quality. however what differs from a digital camera and a phone camera is the quality of the lens itself. thats how a 2mp camera with better lenses will take a better photo than a camera phone with average lens. just my 2 cents. and no matter what it will still kill an iphone camera quality any day!! if you want better than that? tape the fuji to your droid.. haha

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
"well increasing the cameras megapixel IS increasing the picture quality."

Wrong. And you answered it yourself in the next sentance.

An increase in the number of chip sensors will not automatically increase quality.

Yes, I know I'm nitpicking, however it is like adding RAM to a computer, after a certain point, you no longer see a great jump in performance.

Lens and the size of the chip itself to pixel depth will make the greatist changes.

My guess is that if it has 12, it will not be a low light performer at all.

Stay in the 5-8 range, or heck, let's really add something, give me a 32Gb SD, and let me shoot RAW with it!!!! :)

This is the phone I'm waiting for, or its stepchild.

ewells2420

Reaction score
What would be cool is if the keybord was a slideout android touchscreen keyboard instead of a phical keyboard. Because I can hammer out text on a onscreen keyboard really fast but it takes up alot of the screen space. So a slide out form of the keyboard would be sweet.

I would pay A LOT of $ for that.