• ipod touch/ipod

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • macbook/imac

• apple 2e

• Total voters
Reaction score
How does using a proprietary connector mean you have more options for hardware connectivity? Are you saying useing a standard connector is somehow limiting the accessories it has?

The only reason the iStuff has more accessories is because its been more popular from the start. If they used microUSB like the rest of the world it'd have just as many accessories.

Android can support peripherals as well or better than iOS.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
How does using a proprietary connector mean you have more options for hardware connectivity? Are you saying useing a standard connector is somehow limiting the accessories it has?

The only reason the iStuff has more accessories is because its been more popular from the start. If they used microUSB like the rest of the world it'd have just as many accessories.

Exactly. It's not that Apple designed their iStuff to be compatible with a lot of hardware that was already out there; it was that every tiny vendor started to make hardware to be compatible with iStuff, to profit from its popularity. I don't see how the Droid could have done things differently - it's not like Apple was going to let them use their proprietary interface.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You forgot about the iPad.

I can live with the music player on the Droid and I was never a big fan of iTunes. I just wish there was some decent transfer software for the Droid. I know how to setup file systems and I have no problem doing that, it is just remedial at this point in the industry.

The BIGGEST boat I think Android is missing is the ability to support 3rd party hardware. With Apples proprietary connector it allows you to do so much more with after market equipment. Between docks, radios, car mounts, etc it doesn't matter where I am, I will always have a way to listen to my iPods. I wish I was able to walk up to a Bose radio and drop my Droid in the dock and hit play. Unfortunately with the USB connection, I dont know if that will ever happen.

And for the people saying they will never own an Apple product, I have a feeling if the iPads were to drop to a couple hundred bucks a few of you guys out her would jump on that band wagon. Give credit where credit is due, Apple has some great products. I don't know if Android would be where it is today if it wasn't for the iPhone. The iPhone is a great device, whether it is for you or not. Its just a shame it is on such a terrible network.

EDIT: I will also add this, but again it is more of a shot at AT&T then the iPhone. I have an iPhone 3G that I have been using as an iPod Touch. Everything has been working great and the device works just like an iPod Touch would, but with a camera and decent speakers. Well I made the mistake of upgrading the device to iOS 4 a couple of weeks ago. After the update was complete I wasn't able to get past the activation screen since the phone didn't have a SIM card. So I call AT&T and there is NOTHING they can do. I can't buy a dummy SIM and they wont do anything to get the phone past the activation screen. So I asked if I had a 3GS and upgraded to an iPhone 4 would I not be able to use my 3GS. The AT&T rep said I could use it, as long as I never upgraded it. If I upgraded the 3GS to iOS 4 then I would not be able to use the device any longer. WHAT A CROCK! Even though there wasn't a jailbreak for the iOS 4 on the new iPhone, there was one available on the older hardware. So I was able to jailbreak and get past the activation screen. But I never heard such horse poop!

iSyncr - search the market. Its simple and works great.

coondogg97

Reaction score
The BIGGEST boat I think Android is missing is the ability to support 3rd party hardware. With Apples proprietary connector it allows you to do so much more with after market equipment. Between docks, radios, car mounts, etc it doesn't matter where I am, I will always have a way to listen to my iPods. I wish I was able to walk up to a Bose radio and drop my Droid in the dock and hit play. Unfortunately with the USB connection, I dont know if that will ever happen.

Well most of these 3rd party hardware aren't made by apple. So it's not Verizons or Moto's fault there aren't many docks. Even with my Sandisk Fuze MP3 player (that I ony use at night to fall asleep to currently) has almost nothing on the market, I had to find online a docking station (with no speakers).

I don't own an Apple product. Never have. When I was looking for an MP3 (my env2 phone just didn't cut it for music) I didn't want an Apple product. I looked at them, but just couldn't justify the cost for the brand name. I found out my Fuze was the better deal then my coworkers iPod that was the same size, idea, etc. Except mine had a memory card slot, FM radio, voice recording... her's didn't. And I could use a variety of ways to transfer music and then transfer to my home netbook if I wanted to listen on that.

To transfer music to my droid, I've used Windows Media Player, rip and sync. For playlists I find the free version of Media Monkey sufficient.

If you have never owned an iPod then you have no basis for comparison. And you can't possibly have a straight face you compare your Fuze with an iPod/iPhone. Before I broke down and picked up my first iPod I went through a number of MP3 players. I thought the same thing, who is Apple to charge the prices they charge. After being disappointed in one way or another with all the devices I picked up a used iPod online. After a month of using it I went out and picked up a new one. I was that impressed.

And if you are happy using two or three pieces of software to do what iTunes will do for free, feel free to do so.

This has been discussed on these forums a number times. You can not currently pass audio through the MicroUSB port on the Droid. I know nothing about engineering, so I don't know why. Is it that Android doesn't have enough market share to warrant third parties manufacturing docks? I doubt it. There has to be a reason why even the Motorola OEM Media Dock doesn't support any audio pass through.

Exactly. It's not that Apple designed their iStuff to be compatible with a lot of hardware that was already out there; it was that every tiny vendor started to make hardware to be compatible with iStuff, to profit from its popularity. I don't see how the Droid could have done things differently - it's not like Apple was going to let them use their proprietary interface.

So your reasoning is that Android isn't popular enough to have companies make third party accessories? Im still not buying it. And it has nothing to do with the OS in this case.

You forgot about the iPad.

I can live with the music player on the Droid and I was never a big fan of iTunes. I just wish there was some decent transfer software for the Droid. I know how to setup file systems and I have no problem doing that, it is just remedial at this point in the industry.

And for the people saying they will never own an Apple product, I have a feeling if the iPads were to drop to a couple hundred bucks a few of you guys out her would jump on that band wagon. Give credit where credit is due, Apple has some great products. I don't know if Android would be where it is today if it wasn't for the iPhone. The iPhone is a great device, whether it is for you or not. Its just a shame it is on such a terrible network.

EDIT: I will also add this, but again it is more of a shot at AT&T then the iPhone. I have an iPhone 3G that I have been using as an iPod Touch. Everything has been working great and the device works just like an iPod Touch would, but with a camera and decent speakers. Well I made the mistake of upgrading the device to iOS 4 a couple of weeks ago. After the update was complete I wasn't able to get past the activation screen since the phone didn't have a SIM card. So I call AT&T and there is NOTHING they can do. I can't buy a dummy SIM and they wont do anything to get the phone past the activation screen. So I asked if I had a 3GS and upgraded to an iPhone 4 would I not be able to use my 3GS. The AT&T rep said I could use it, as long as I never upgraded it. If I upgraded the 3GS to iOS 4 then I would not be able to use the device any longer. WHAT A CROCK! Even though there wasn't a jailbreak for the iOS 4 on the new iPhone, there was one available on the older hardware. So I was able to jailbreak and get past the activation screen. But I never heard such horse poop!

iSyncr - search the market. Its simple and works great.

I have read about iSyncr, but I have yet to use it. I had so many issues with Double Twist that I gave up on syncing software for the Droid.

Again, if you have never owned an iPod device, please don't try to make comparisons to them. I have read a number of threads on this forum from ex-iPhone users complaining about their new Android device when they first got it. Until they got used to the device and knew how to work it well. Then they all fall in love. It takes more then just tinkering with a device to form a true opinion.

Hate Apple all you want, if it wasn't for them the mobile industry wouldn't be even close to where they are today.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Where is the option for a Mac+ in the poll? I still have one and it works. 1,200 baud modem and a 20 megabyte hard drive.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No option for never owning any Apple product....ever?

My wife has...but i haven't.

I almost got stuck too, but I'm on my second ipod and I picked one up for my wife 1.5 years ago too so I checked off that option. With limited storage space the itouch wasn't an option for me. I like having all the music I would ever want with me all the time. Plus it is yet another place it all is backed up. It was used all the time in the car in the past, but the droid is starting to replace that. Get streaming going a little better and the iPod will see even more shelf time.

coondogg97

Reaction score
No option for never owning any Apple product....ever?

My wife has...but i haven't.

I almost got stuck too, but I'm on my second ipod and I picked one up for my wife 1.5 years ago too so I checked off that option. With limited storage space the itouch wasn't an option for me. I like having all the music I would ever want with me all the time. Plus it is yet another place it all is backed up. It was used all the time in the car in the past, but the droid is starting to replace that. Get streaming going a little better and the iPod will see even more shelf time.

There is an app called Simplify Media that will allow you to stream your entire home library to your iPod Touch. The app looks no different then your music app on your device, except it lists every song in your home library. It is one of the best apps on my iPod (along with Pocket Tunes). Actually the app is so good that Google purchased it last month.

So if you really want to listen to a song badly enough, you will always have access to it. You may have to tether your iPod Touch to your Droid to do so, but you will ALWAYS have access to it.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
So your reasoning is that Android isn't popular enough to have companies make third party accessories? Im still not buying it. And it has nothing to do with the OS in this case.

No, my reasoning is that Android (taken as a whole, as we've been doing with Apple's iStuff) isn't popular enough yet to have many companies make third party devices. There's a lot to be said for beating someone to market.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[

No, my reasoning is that Android (taken as a whole, as we've been doing with Apple's iStuff) isn't popular enough yet to have many companies make third party devices. There's a lot to be said for beating someone to market.

Nah, I disagree. Even my local television stations have apps available in Android.

I do wish my bank would make an app like iPhone has. Deposit your checks by taking a picture of the front and back. Too cool.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
[

Nah, I disagree. Even my local television stations have apps available in Android.

I do wish my bank would make an app like iPhone has. Deposit your checks by taking a picture of the front and back. Too cool.

I was referring specifically to hardware devices, not apps.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Coondogg97, i love your enthusiasm for apple / ipod products, this is by no means a flame or anything, i don't mind people loving the items they own and feel passionate about.

I will however have to point out that just because someone doesn't own an ipod, it doesn't mean they haven't used one, played with a friends or anything to that effect. While i agree that the ipod does music amazingly, just alot of people don't like having to deal with itunes. I know from personal experience that if there is ever a problem with itunes.. there is noone to contact, apple told me that the entire thing is automated sorry for your bad luck and good day.

Ipad? The thing that came out after many other tablet devices? All apple did was take a product that was already out, and then in my opinion try to claim they invented it. Their "idea" was nothing new.

the iphone was a revolutionary product when it came out, it no longer is, i'm not saying people aren't going to buy it or think that people are wrong for doing so. It's their choice, i like android over apple, others like apple over android. :)

coondogg97

Reaction score
Coondogg97, i love your enthusiasm for apple / ipod products, this is by no means a flame or anything, i don't mind people loving the items they own and feel passionate about.

I will however have to point out that just because someone doesn't own an ipod, it doesn't mean they haven't used one, played with a friends or anything to that effect. While i agree that the ipod does music amazingly, just alot of people don't like having to deal with itunes. I know from personal experience that if there is ever a problem with itunes.. there is noone to contact, apple told me that the entire thing is automated sorry for your bad luck and good day.

Ipad? The thing that came out after many other tablet devices? All apple did was take a product that was already out, and then in my opinion try to claim they invented it. Their "idea" was nothing new.

the iphone was a revolutionary product when it came out, it no longer is, i'm not saying people aren't going to buy it or think that people are wrong for doing so. It's their choice, i like android over apple, others like apple over android. :)

Wow, very well said. I personally don't feel like you can give an honest assessment of a device like the iPod unless you have a little experience with it. The same thing goes for the Droid. If an iPhone user picked up the Droid and tinkered with it for 10 minutes do you think he would be able to form an honest assessment of it?

I have been fortunate enough to be able to fix the few issues that I have had with my equipment and iTunes. So I never had to deal with Apple Talk, but I heard they are a pleasure to deal with. That also came from Apple fanboys, so take it for what its worth. Since I have no experience, I can't comment on it.

As for the other devices out before the iPad, if they worked as well the iPad I would love to know what they were. I have been looking for an affordable pad type of option (not tablet PC) for a long time and haven't been able to come up with one.

And again you are right, the iPhone was a revolutionary item when it came out. Since then the market has FILLED up with competition. And it doesn't seem like the iPhone 4 is fairing well with it.

I am in no way an Apple fanboy, but I also refuse to become an Android fanboy. I think both products offer fantastic options. I can honestly say that if and when Verizon does get the iPhone, I have absolutely no ambition to switch. But I would love to get one for my mother.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Wow, very well said. I personally don't feel like you can give an honest assessment of a device like the iPod unless you have a little experience with it. The same thing goes for the Droid. If an iPhone user picked up the Droid and tinkered with it for 10 minutes do you think he would be able to form an honest assessment of it?

I have been fortunate enough to be able to fix the few issues that I have had with my equipment and iTunes. So I never had to deal with Apple Talk, but I heard they are a pleasure to deal with. That also came from Apple fanboys, so take it for what its worth. Since I have no experience, I can't comment on it.

As for the other devices out before the iPad, if they worked as well the iPad I would love to know what they were. I have been looking for an affordable pad type of option (not tablet PC) for a long time and haven't been able to come up with one.

And again you are right, the iPhone was a revolutionary item when it came out. Since then the market has FILLED up with competition. And it doesn't seem like the iPhone 4 is fairing well with it.

I am in no way an Apple fanboy, but I also refuse to become an Android fanboy. I think both products offer fantastic options. I can honestly say that if and when Verizon does get the iPhone, I have absolutely no ambition to switch. But I would love to get one for my mother.

I agree that it does take time with a device to fully get a feel for it. The few issues i had with apple related to when someone stole my credit card info and used it to purchase about 500$ worth of stuff from itunes, and i was politely told that itunes is automated and basically there was nothing they can do for me in terms of information at all. The bank of course took care of it, but it seemed odd that you have a system that has no one to talk to.

Yes i was definitely not talking about a tablet PC, i know many people confuse the two, the ones out prior to it, was the archos line of tablets, hp was coming out with one, not sure if it ever ended up on the production line, and now motorola is in the news for possibly creating one in the upcoming months. There have been a few other lines of tablets that have come out that are pretty decent. But then again it all falls on what you want to do with it. :)

Didn't think you were a fanboy at all. I think if verizon got the iphone or a variation of the iphone (due to contractual obligations) that alot of people would get it, it's not because they hate the android OS, it's that they simple like the apple brand better. It's all what you feel more comfortable with.