Leaked FRG22 Update Available for Rooted Droid 1

subsynth

Reaction score
So i installed this a while ago, and it's been running great, but I've now gotten two OTA update notifications.

The first one I installed, and SPrecovery blocked it, so I figured that was the end of that, but I got another one this morning, the battery was too low to install it so I'm waiting to charge up to see what happens with that...

Any insight?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
So i installed this a while ago, and it's been running great, but I've now gotten two OTA update notifications.

The first one I installed, and SPrecovery blocked it, so I figured that was the end of that, but I got another one this morning, the battery was too low to install it so I'm waiting to charge up to see what happens with that...

Any insight?
When was the first one? And Peter Alphonso had a request for a copy of the update if you got another one, so before installing it, why not copy it to your computer and mailing it to him?

If the first update was prior to the first wave getting halted, it might just be the same thing again.

gofish

Reaction score

Any insight?
When was the first one? And Peter Alphonso had a request for a copy of the update if you got another one, so before installing it, why not copy it to your computer and mailing it to him?

If the first update was prior to the first wave getting halted, it might just be the same thing again.

How would you go about doing that? Mine just downloaded the ota update (it only says froyo 2.2, doesn't say what build)

subsynth

Reaction score
The first was two or three days ago. The second one came over night last night / this morning. I still haven't installed it / restarted.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I think you may be the first. And my mistake, he wants the update TO FRG22 from FRG01B. One user reported getting it from a VZW store manager.

I'm guessing you're just lucky, but it could be an update FOR FRG22 to whatever build is coming out with the second update just announced by Verizon. Feel like taking one for the team? :D

dwoid

Reaction score
If the choice is between the odexed FRG22 and deodexed FRG22 that P3 released, and if you're not wanting to modify for themes, I'd highly recommend going with the odexed version. Other than being rooted and having busybox added, the odexed is virgin, clean and slightly faster.

P3 did correct the apk issues by re-deodexing them.

I've been running the odexed version since P3 released it. Running with Chevy's MV-1.25GHz-7slot kernel, C_01.43.01P baseband and ADW launcher. Love it!

dwoid

Reaction score
I'll also mention this, take it with a grain of salt...

I have never wiped my apps and data, except for experimenting with ROMs to see if they really worked better with this kind of complete wipe or not... This is going way back to my early DroidMod days... In my experience the complete wipes don't help, and I've successfully run CM, BB, SS, old DroidMod, and a number of stock-rooted builds...

The reason the ROM developers encourage complete wipes is that that is the only way they can test and have consistent results, especially with all the theming they frequently do. But you can bet that Verizon, Moto and Google *do not* require complete wipes, they'd never get over the complaints and help requests in their service departments.

The only time I do a complete wipe is just before I am going to restore a backup.

I always wipe cache before loading a build of any kind. Cache gets corrupted very easily and should be wiped occasionally anyway, especially if you're experiencing any kind of random reboot...

I would always encourage people to try loading their chosen builds not to do a complete wipe first. It will complicate your booting process tremendously if you do the wipe. especially if you have a lot of applications (I've got over 100), and you'll loose your phone log and all of your email and messaging history... Even backup programs have trouble restoring these things without getting Google synchronization messed up.

BTW, keep in mind that P3's stock-rooted-odexed FRG22 is the complete file, a big one like the larger FRG01B file in another thread here... It has all the files that the larger FRG01B has in it (and more) except it doesn't have the upgrade scripts.

Just my .02... Enjoy dancedroid

Game4set

Reaction score

Any insight?

How would you go about doing that? Mine just downloaded the ota update (it only says froyo 2.2, doesn't say what build)
I just got the update too and I'm on FRG22 and it doesn't say what version of 2.2 it is. What can I do from here :D?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
It'll be FRG01B. I misread what Pete wanted, so you don't need to save it or anything. If you're not having any issues, don't let it install when you reboot into recovery. When the install fails it'll stop nagging you. If you've having issues and don't care about keeping root, just allow it to install and go back to the stock, official FroYo flavor.

dwoid

Reaction score
It will wipe your ROM and everything in your System directory, but it will not wipe data or cache. I would recommend only wiping cache at first. Then try it. If everything is ok, you're great, if you have issues, then try wiping your cache (again) and your data...

As with ANY ROM, exercise safe hacking and do all your backups so you can revert back if you want to.

DocDoom187

Reaction score
It will wipe your ROM and everything in your System directory, but it will not wipe data or cache. I would recommend only wiping cache at first. Then try it. If everything is ok, you're great, if you have issues, then try wiping your cache (again) and your data...

As with ANY ROM, exercise safe hacking and do all your backups so you can revert back if you want to.

Thanks man. Are there any advantages to FRG22? Like, is there any reason for me to upgrade if I have FRG01B all set up and stuff?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yes.

Oh, you were wondering what they were? Well, for starters, there are some troubles in FRG01B with things like the linkup with Exchange, and this supposedly fixes them.

You'll be running a newer build. For some people, that's enough of a reason.

OH! you may also get notifications and nag screens to update to FRG01B. :)

dwoid

Reaction score
Keep in mind *every* Droid is different due to our individual preferences in setup. And there are also differences in hardware tolerances...

I've been running odexed-stock-rooted FRG22 since it came out. I'm currently running it with Chevy's (8/9/10) Ultra Low Voltage (ULV) 1.25GHz 7-slot kernel. (I usually recommend starting any new ROM with medium or standard voltage first, testing, then if things run well at your desired speed, trying the lower voltage kernels. After testing a lot with FRG22 with Medium and Low voltage kernels, I've just started testing the ULV kernel today and it's looking good so far. Note that the ULV kernels are known to not be compatible with every Droid and/or every ROM. Test, test, test.) I'm also running with baseband C_01.43.01P and ADW Launcher. I have SetCPU conservative "Advanced" set so that 99% of the time I'm running at 800MHz -- it can pop up to higher CPU speeds only if my CPU gets severely hammered. I also have profiles set for Screen Off, Temp > 44C and Charging/Full.

Given these personal preferences and settings, I've found FRG22 runs more smoothly and slightly faster. Battery life is also improved and temperatures are lower. Battery life and temperature is improved again with the ULV kernel, although I'm still testing to make sure this kernel is stable enough on my December 09 Droid.

As far as features are concerned, the full-size FRG01B and FRG22 are just about the same except FRG22 does not have the upgrade scripts that the full-size FRG01B has. FRG22 *does* erase the system folders and you *do* start from scratch with those directories. There may be some language-related differences in some APK code with FRG22, but I've not personally found specific features that differed between the two builds yet. So the biggest thing I've noticed is generally how FRG22 runs, and that is pretty subjective. It's not like a magnitude difference in speed or battery.

FRG22 does use more memory. There is speculation that there is special buffering, possibly for Flash. I cannot prove or disprove that with my beta Flash usage.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Good post, dwoid. Only time will tell because without the full release (which I'm sure has been in release-candidate status within VZW for some time) isn't available to the public.