Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you kidding? I am Going to store and laughing at people buying it

• I Could Care less

• Total voters

Darkseider

Reaction score
iphone is for those who don't want to root, don't want to heavily search, don't want to think too long.
Those who get crazy mad if you call it a smart phone are correct. It is in a class by itself for the dumbphone user who wants more capabilities but in the same simplistic way of doing it. Very few iPhone users will complain that they can't do this or that to the os because they don't want to do it. They want pinch zoom, easy texting, easy easy easy everything. Proof of this is its a known fact that holding the 4 a certain way causes problems. Instead of the sheep learning not to hold the phone that way they issue a cover. Problem solved, the sheep don't have to think. iphone at its finest and there is a huge market on Verizon for that product. Oh my I see reviews in the market people complain about this or that needs to be different but don't realize the option to make it do this or that is already on the app in the settings menu.
Most users are not like us on these forums

wified from my monolith using a slider keypad

exactly, and that is probably 99% of the user base. the vzw iphone will be an android killer.

I would SOOO love the crack you are smoking. Really I would. The major purchasers of the VZW iPhone, when it comes in 2012, will be AT&T folks jumping ship to a better network. The rest will be new purchases and it will impact Android sales some. Kill? Not a chance. Android will still be the dominant mobile OS and continue to grow. Reason? More powerful phones, more features, more flexibility. This is something that Apple will never be able to do with a fixed one year product cycle.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
iphone is for those who don't want to root, don't want to heavily search, don't want to think too long.
Those who get crazy mad if you call it a smart phone are correct. It is in a class by itself for the dumbphone user who wants more capabilities but in the same simplistic way of doing it. Very few iPhone users will complain that they can't do this or that to the os because they don't want to do it. They want pinch zoom, easy texting, easy easy easy everything. Proof of this is its a known fact that holding the 4 a certain way causes problems. Instead of the sheep learning not to hold the phone that way they issue a cover. Problem solved, the sheep don't have to think. iphone at its finest and there is a huge market on Verizon for that product. Oh my I see reviews in the market people complain about this or that needs to be different but don't realize the option to make it do this or that is already on the app in the settings menu.
Most users are not like us on these forums

wified from my monolith using a slider keypad

exactly, and that is probably 99% of the user base. the vzw iphone will be an android killer.

I would SOOO love the crack you are smoking. Really I would. The major purchasers of the VZW iPhone, when it comes in 2012, will be AT&T folks jumping ship to a better network. The rest will be new purchases and it will impact Android sales some. Kill? Not a chance. Android will still be the dominant mobile OS and continue to grow. Reason? More powerful phones, more features, more flexibility. This is something that Apple will never be able to do with a fixed one year product cycle.

haha...ok...the ONLY thing that has even kept AT&T relevant is the iPhone. if you're saying that android is going to compete with the iphone on VZW, then you can have the crack i'm smoking as long as i can trade for yours. i understand you're loyalty to android (i have it too), but making ridiculous statements about more features and more flexibility makes no sense. Do you really think the average consumer is going to say "Well I would pick an iphone but that fixed one year product cycle really rubs me the wrong way..."...No chance. the average consumer doesn't care about software upgrades and product cycles and software development cycles. they want an iphone because EVERYONE has an iphone, and "it has over 1 zillion apps!!!" and blah blah blah. come on man, seriously? the people who use android to its full potential are few and far between.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Ill try that. But that also adds to my post. How many people would actually take the time to root? I know I never did. I was a full time college student when I got this squeezing time in to learn it as best I can when I had it. Most people I know with iPhones are college students who are very busy. I severely doubt theyd have the time or patience to work with a Droid and figure out its odds and ins when they have an iPhone thats ready to go right out of the box.

The time it takes to learn how to root a Droid, flash a ROM and Kernel on it is about the same time it took you to do you initial post and this response. Youtube instructional video + 5 minutes = Rooted and ROM'd Droid. That's about the long and short of it. Now if you want to learn further tweaking that is more on a power user level, compcache, EXT4 swap partitions, insertable modules for TUN, EXT4, BTFRS, EXT3, NTFS, etc... there is a lot more to learn. But for basic rooting, OC'ing and flashing a ROM to your phone. Meh 10 minutes, tops.

the point is the majority (and by majority i mean OVERWHELMING majority) have no interest or inclination to root (that doesn't make that lazy or inadequate). It makes them the average consumer. I don't blame people for wanting to have the iPhone because the iPhone is a great piece of technology. Sure we can say "oh you can just root" but that's not practical for most android users. the rooting community is minuscule.

I think that you might be surprised as to how many people out there actually root their Android handsets and jailbreak their iPhones. Manufacturers and carriers are downplaying the overall number. This can be seen from web metrics taken that show the OS. ALOT of them are custom ROMs on different model phones.

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/tweetdeck-by-phone.gif

On that pie chart you can clearly see ALOT of custom ROMs being reported. I am willing to bet there would be more if they actually broke down the top 10 by OS and not device. I just introduced my brother-in-law and one of my friends to root on their Incredible and one of my wife's co-workers on his Eris. Now they are all running custom ROMs and kernels. Ooh they did it themselves in all of 10 minutes. Three of my co-workers with different Android handsets have also rooted and are now enjoying the high life. My wife and her Backflip? Once 2.1 comes out she is rooting it herself because as she says... "I can't stand all this crap that AT&T put on here that I can't get rid of! How do I make my phone more like yours?"

Darkseider

Reaction score

haha...ok...the ONLY thing that has even kept AT&T relevant is the iPhone. if you're saying that android is going to compete with the iphone on VZW, then you can have the crack i'm smoking as long as i can trade for yours. i understand you're loyalty to android (i have it too), but making ridiculous statements about more features and more flexibility makes no sense. Do you really think the average consumer is going to say "Well I would pick an iphone but that fixed one year product cycle really rubs me the wrong way..."...No chance. the average consumer doesn't care about software upgrades and product cycles and software development cycles. they want an iphone because EVERYONE has an iphone, and "it has over 1 zillion apps!!!" and blah blah blah. come on man, seriously? the people who use android to its full potential are few and far between.

That's what has kept AT&T relevant because that is all they offered. You will be surprised to know that the Captivate and the Aria have been selling INCREDIBLY well, I get to see the web metrics daily :) With the introduction of the new Android handsets I expect to see Android grow even more on AT&T. Currently about 68% of all web traffic on our mobile network is generated by iPhone which is down from 81% 8 months ago. That 13% is now Android. The remaining is RIM. So in 8 months Android has grabbed 13% of our traffic and is growing by leaps and bounds since its' introduction. This time next year if the ratio to phones/percentage remains the same Android will have approx. 40% of the traffic and iPhone down to 54%. Android keeps growing and iPhone keeps shrinking.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
The time it takes to learn how to root a Droid, flash a ROM and Kernel on it is about the same time it took you to do you initial post and this response. Youtube instructional video + 5 minutes = Rooted and ROM'd Droid. That's about the long and short of it. Now if you want to learn further tweaking that is more on a power user level, compcache, EXT4 swap partitions, insertable modules for TUN, EXT4, BTFRS, EXT3, NTFS, etc... there is a lot more to learn. But for basic rooting, OC'ing and flashing a ROM to your phone. Meh 10 minutes, tops.

the point is the majority (and by majority i mean OVERWHELMING majority) have no interest or inclination to root (that doesn't make that lazy or inadequate). It makes them the average consumer. I don't blame people for wanting to have the iPhone because the iPhone is a great piece of technology. Sure we can say "oh you can just root" but that's not practical for most android users. the rooting community is minuscule.

I think that you might be surprised as to how many people out there actually root their Android handsets and jailbreak their iPhones. Manufacturers and carriers are downplaying the overall number. This can be seen from web metrics taken that show the OS. ALOT of them are custom ROMs on different model phones.

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/tweetdeck-by-phone.gif

On that pie chart you can clearly see ALOT of custom ROMs being reported. I am willing to bet there would be more if they actually broke down the top 10 by OS and not device. I just introduced my brother-in-law and one of my friends to root on their Incredible and one of my wife's co-workers on his Eris. Now they are all running custom ROMs and kernels. Ooh they did it themselves in all of 10 minutes. Three of my co-workers with different Android handsets have also rooted and are now enjoying the high life. My wife and her Backflip? Once 2.1 comes out she is rooting it herself because as she says... "I can't stand all this crap that AT&T put on here that I can't get rid of! How do I make my phone more like yours?"

How many rooters do you think are out there? honestly? there's not even 200,000 trust me (and 200,000 is being EXTREMELY generous). your roommates, and brother-in-laws, and fifth cousins have their phones rooted because they know you and you told them about it. i hope you're not trying to suggest that rooters are in the millions, or even anywhere close to 200,000 because the crack reference seems to be ringing true in your case.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

That's what has kept AT&T relevant because that is all they offered. You will be surprised to know that the Captivate and the Aria have been selling INCREDIBLY well, I get to see the web metrics daily :) With the introduction of the new Android handsets I expect to see Android grow even more on AT&T. Currently about 68% of all web traffic on our mobile network is generated by iPhone which is down from 81% 8 months ago. That 13% is now Android. The remaining is RIM. So in 8 months Android has grabbed 13% of our traffic and is growing by leaps and bounds since its' introduction. This time next year if the ratio to phones/percentage remains the same Android will have approx. 40% of the traffic and iPhone down to 54%. Android keeps growing and iPhone keeps shrinking.

Hey we'll see I guess. I just can't imagine an iphone on VZW not having a negative impact on Android. people want simplicity and functionality and the iphone offers both. that's just the facts. couple that with a reliable network like verizon, and people are going to buy it.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How many rooters do you think are out there? honestly? there's not even 200,000 trust me (and 200,000 is being EXTREMELY generous). your roommates, and brother-in-laws, and fifth cousins have their phones rooted because they know you and you told them about it. i hope you're not trying to suggest that rooters are in the millions, or even anywhere close to 200,000 because the crack reference seems to be ringing true in your case.

im willing to bet its less then 1% of all android phones are actually rooted.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

im willing to bet its less then 1% of all android phones are actually rooted.

as am i...because less then 1% are actually rooted.

NVash

Reaction score
That may be true but how many ROMs and Kernels are there? How long will it take, roughly, to find one that may be right for me? A very long time Im sure.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that less the 1% of all Android users are rooted. Now in the Forum, actual members, that number would change drastically. Still the majority of our members are not rooted. You can see that clearly when an OTA update goes out. Well, you might not be able to but I can.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that less the 1% of all Android users are rooted. Now in the Forum, actual members, that number would change drastically. Still the majority of our members are not rooted. You can see that clearly when an OTA update goes out. Well, you might not be able to but I can.

Exactly, and this should be obvious to everyone. I can't fathom how some people suggest otherwise.

It's very obvious and accurate to say less than 1% are rooted. The actual number is most probably far less than 1%

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Further, a couple others nailed it. Why, exactly, is it so important to be so incredibly derogatory about the iPhone? Only a fraction of the people running their mouths about them that I have met have ever even touched them before slamming them.

And say what you will, Apple DOES make a very nice piece of hardware. There is no denying that unless your delusional. And don't bring up the antenna bit on the 4G. I will throw out antenna and signal issues on Android all day long.

dude have you ever heard an Iphone user? they rant constantly about how everything Iphone is better, and yes apple does make a great piece of Technology(samsung CPU,various other parts outsourced) but as far as the trance that steve jobs has created you need to really consider knocking them down a peg. does the Iphone have flash? how long did it take for actually multitasking? how is it that there are multiple studies concluding the Iphone 4 is the most fragile of all with a stainless steel belt? why is every single refresh of the device so greatly admired since its almost the exact same as its former unit?

has any manufacturer for android ever issued a fix for the antenna with another piece of hardware after the fact? HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU JUSTIFY ANY OF THESE FACTS AND STILL CHARGE AN ARM AND A LEG.....simple polish that rock and someday it will be shiny!!!

Have you ever listened to a fanboi justifying an Android to an iPhone user? Every bit as bad. Open your eyes and watch. It happens on this very forum. To put that all down to iPhone users is amazingly hypocritical.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Thanks for the info, Ill try that. But that also adds to my post. How many people would actually take the time to root? I know I never did. I was a full time college student when I got this squeezing time in to learn it as best I can when I had it. Most people I know with iPhones are college students who are very busy. I severely doubt theyd have the time or patience to work with a Droid and figure out its odds and ins when they have an iPhone thats ready to go right out of the box.

EXACTLY right! Not everyone has the patience and skill to root, thus where the iPhone comes into the picture. It works great out of the box.

People, you need to realize, not everyone wants to or is capable of rooting their phone. You start comparing a stock iPhone and stock Android phone and the lines start blurring very fast. Be realistic.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
exactly. there are android fanbois in this very thread! they are just as bad, if not worse then iphone users.