How much will the Verizon iPhone affect Android?

If Verizon offers an iPhone will you buy one?

• Never, I'm Android for life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely, been waiting for it

• Depends on <insert reason here>

• Keep it on AT&T!

• Undecided

• Total voters
J

JohnDroid

apple-vs-android-verizon-iphone.jpg

So the rumors are that Verizon and Apple will be bringing an iPhone with CDMA capabilities to the Verizon network. Possibly an LTE version to follow later in 2011 as well with the 5th generation refresh. We've seen quite a few articles that say this could be a really bad sign for Android. We've seen the reports that say up to 23% of AT&T users would jump ship to Verizon if they had the iPhone. But what does that mean for Verizon's Android users? Even Slashdot has a lively discussion going on about this very issue.

The world is abuzz with Apple and Google battling it out for the future of not just the smartphone platform, but the tablet and even the television. Newsweek is talking about it. We've talked about it.

Well, we figured the best place to find that out would be here. The virtual Lions Den of Android using Verizon customers: DroidForums.net. If any figure out there can tell us what impact the iPhone coming to Verizon will have, this would be the place. We've got a huge base of both light users as well as hard core Android Hackers, Rommers and Themers coming to this place every day. We should be able to get a pretty broad guesstimate as to what might happen if and when the iPhone ever really does come.

To find out we are going to put up a poll and we ask that as many members as possible participate in it and give us their honest truth. In 3 months time if there were an iPhone available on the Verizon network and you were up for your New Every 2 and the price point was equivalent to the latest and greatest Android phone at that time: Would you switch?

Please let us know by participating in the poll. If you have any friends that are using Android with Verizon and they aren't a member yet, please ask them to register and take part in our little poll here.

Thanks for your time and remember, this place will always be hardcore Android!

(Sorry for the monster edit here, we had a little accident with the merged threads and thus I had to over-write your post)

Beardface

Reaction score
I wouldn't get one, but if this did happen, I would seriously consider switching from Verizon to Sprint. Verizon will not be able to handle the traffic if and when this happens, and the 3G and 4G networks will be so ridiculously bogged down by both Apple and Android that it will be a disaster.

Plus, keep the snobby schmucks on AT&T. I don't care for those d-bags sharing my network.

OP
J

JohnDroid

I wouldn't get one, but if this did happen, I would seriously consider switching from Verizon to Sprint. Verizon will not be able to handle the traffic if and when this happens, and the 3G and 4G networks will be so ridiculously bogged down by both Apple and Android that it will be a disaster.

Plus, keep the snobby schmucks on AT&T. I don't care for those d-bags sharing my network.

Judging by your words I think I can guess with a high probability what choice on the poll you took ;)

To sum it up: Not only do you not want the iPhone on Verizon, you don't want the iPhone airwaves touching your airwaves :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
had an iphone 3gs ....

[video=youtube;PnRRe8inSOk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnRRe8inSOk[/video]

Beardface

Reaction score

Judging by your words I think I can guess with a high probability what choice on the poll you took ;)

To sum it up: Not only do you not want the iPhone on Verizon, you don't want the iPhone airwaves touching your airwaves :)
What gave it away?!?!
:icon_cool:

Mysfit

Reaction score

funny you say that. my at&t rep was in the store the other day and i asked him how he felt about it going to verizon. he basically said he was all for it so it would bog down verizons net work and make the at&t one look better.

mjforte

Reaction score
Will people stop with these rumors? Until I hear officially from either Verizon or Apple about an iPhone coming to Verizon, I'm not believing any of it. The only thing I wouldn't like about a Verizon iPhone is all the extra data traffic. I'm defintely Android for life!!

ladodger1717

Reaction score
I always wanted the iPhone before android came out. I am glad that Apple strictly was on AT&T, otherwise I probably would of never given Android a chance. Since I bought the Motorola Droid, I have come to fully back Android and have NO interest in getting an iPhone. I have been so impressed with it that I have begun to learn programming of Java and Android to take this to the next level. Apple screwed up when they stuck with AT&T and I am glad they did. I am an Android follower for life now. I also agree with beardface, Keep the iPhone on AT&T and off our network.

Darkseider

Reaction score
There is no way in hell I would get an iPhone. I would rather lose a kidney because of my hatred and disdain for Apple and in particular Uncle Steve. With that being said you know my vote. My wife went from an iPhone to a Moto Backflip and she has more than once stated that she will never go back to an iPhone and is currently looking to upgrade to the new Moto Bravo on AT&T. Yes she is a Moto fan.

a44kaliburll

Reaction score
Chant with me...

Hell no, apple blows!
Hell no, apple blows!

all I need is that great looking evo phone to show up for Verizon and I will ceremoniously hail android...

Inkarnit

Reaction score
I've never used an iPhone so I don't have the hardcore anti-iPhone bias that some people have. I came to Android and my Droid X from a Palm Pre. I love my Droid X, but I do miss Palm's easy switching between open apps. Would I ever try an iPhone out? I can't give an unequivocal "no" to ever looking at iPhone but I can say that with things where they stand now, I would never choose an iPhone 4 over Droid X. My answer is the depends one... depends on if iPhone 5 somehow blows everything else away... most likely I'm sticking with Android.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sorry I can't hold back on this one. This is the stupidest response someone can have to this scenario. Just because someone has an iPhone they are a snobby schmuck and a douchebag? You have now painted yourself as ignorant and much worse than the vast majority of iPhone users. I read some of the most hypocritical bullcrap in this forum when it comes to Android users attacking iPhone users. I don't mind most of it because people tend to keep it civil but every once in a while you get a tremendously stupid response like this. Kidding or not, it's uncalled for.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it came out LTE enabled, I might consider it. I've moved beyond my Droid being a tinker-toy for me, so a lot of the "customizability" isn't so important to me any more. I don't if anyone knows for sure, however, if all of the iPhone's issues were AT&T's fault or Apple's fault. It seems to me it was a combo of both. So if it came to Verizon and was still a crappy phone, what's the point? So, the "wait and see" approach would probably be a good one for anybody considering switching if/when this happens...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am sorry I can't hold back on this one. This is the stupidest response someone can have to this scenario. Just because someone has an iPhone they are a snobby schmuck and a douchebag? You have now painted yourself as ignorant and much worse than the vast majority of iPhone users. I read some of the most hypocritical bullcrap in this forum when it comes to Android users attacking iPhone users. I don't mind most of it because people tend to keep it civil but every once in a while you get a tremendously stupid response like this. Kidding or not, it's uncalled for.

I'll go ahead and hire a forum "body guard" for you... though I do agree. Stereotypes like that paint Android users exactly how Apple fanatics (the people he's referring to) want us to be painted.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'll go ahead and hire a forum "body guard" for you... though I do agree. Stereotypes like that paint Android users exactly how Apple fanatics (the people he's referring to) want us to be painted.

haha no body guard needed, I am a big boy I can handle it. I am not necessarily pro-apple but I am definitely pro-don't judge people you don't know. I just get tired of reading the same garbage in every apple thread, that's all. I enjoy civil conversations about it very much. Name calling and being judgmental happen to be two of my biggest pet peeves.