Verizon Confirms iPhone 4, $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, Mobile Hotspot Included...

Status
Not open for further replies.

forum8417

Reaction score
If the mobile hotspot is free this is very tempting. but not tempting enough. maybe if it was lte i would go get it but id rather get the optimus black if that comes to verizon.

kenbiz

Reaction score
Talking to a few of my friends with the iphone and there not leaving Att for Verizon..this whole thing of people leaving Att just to get this phone on Verizon is b.s. maybe down the road but I don't seeing that happen anytime soon.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Talking to a few of my friends with the iphone and there not leaving Att for Verizon..this whole thing of people leaving Att just to get this phone on Verizon is b.s. maybe down the road but I don't seeing that happen anytime soon.

Seems more will wait until June for the IP5 and others want to see what kind of service gain switchers get on VZW.

But it's also true that not everyone is unhappy with AT&T service, maybe only 1/3 but then you also have ETF's to contend with.

There's 25M IPhones on AT&T....If only 1 in 5 switch that's 5M users.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
While the arguements that VZW is bending over to accomodate Apple with the changes made to billing plans, upgrades, etc., is is pretty easy to make the counterpoint that the upcoming leaps in devices entirely within android could be easly driving these. Up until the recent announcements/implementation of 4g and dual core processors, most of the newer phones were pretty marginal upgrades to the D1 (and other first offerings). There are gonna be a lot of folks begging, pleading or demanding of VZW some way to get subsidized on these new offerings. VZW knows what is coming in terms of hardware, so certainly they would know what to expect from the end users. Even taking the cynical perspective to argue it is about nicking folks who "have'" to upgrade, to me the arguments could easily preclude the inclusion of Apple into the mix.

And just to stay completely off OP, having had a crash course in the music side of the Apple Ipad this last weekend for a buddy, if the Iphone uses the same methodology, Android smokes the Ipad for ease of music manipulation:)

Craig

brianr0131

Reaction score

I agree....maybe if an LTE IPhone came out this summer on VZW....but even then, the vast majority of people aren't willing to pay ETF to leave.

The main buyers IMO of this will be younger users who are on VZW family plans, Soccer Moms who have not yet purchased smartphones, VZW Blackberry users coming off contract, and people who are coming from Sprint/TMobile and are out of contract.

I know some ATT Iphone users may come and some VZW Android users will switch, but I don't see any ATT Iphone or VZW Android people paying full retail or ETF fees to get on the bandwagon for this particular device.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I know some ATT Iphone users may come and some VZW Android users will switch, but I don't see any ATT Iphone or VZW Android people paying full retail or ETF fees to get on the bandwagon for this particular device.

It occurs to me that it will be interesting to see what happens with the old phones of switchers. Late adopters tend to be value buyers....might be 5-6M more AT&T Iphones for sale on EBAY because of this.

Perhaps I will pick a few up, spray paint white and then flip on EBAY for 10X what I paid.:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

brianr0131

Reaction score
There are gonna be a lot of folks begging, pleading or demanding of VZW some way to get subsidized on these new offerings. VZW knows what is coming in terms of hardware, so certainly they would know what to expect from the end users.
Craig

I agree 100% but I also think the Providers have to get away from making profits on full price phones.

For example, if they pay 300-400 for a phone, why do they have to charge 599 without contract? I know they spend a lot of money subsidizing phones, but they get you "locked up" for that.

So, conversely, is it fair for them to make good sized profit because they aren't locking you in? I mean, they should get out of the phone business. They should sell them at or near cost not for profit. They would save themselves a lot in subsidy money if they did that. I know I'd pay 350-400 for a phone if I wasn't being locked in. If their service and reliability is up to par, they'll keep customers without locking them in.

Big Fate

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie at first when I was new to android I wanted to switch over to the Iphone as soon as VZW dropped it... But now seeing a friends Iphone and messing around wit it a little while, I realized I'm so use to the Droid X now and enjoy my fairly large screen... Not to mention once rooted it took it to a whole other level..

I think I'll just stick with my Droid X, I'm happy with what I got..

But on the real I notice alot of people hating on the Iphone, stop the hatrid. Regardless if we like our droids or not, the Iphone is still the Largest selling phone in the world and theres a REASON why VZW brought it over. So for you to say its not an excelent phone you'd be in denial..

Bear in NM

Reaction score
There are gonna be a lot of folks begging, pleading or demanding of VZW some way to get subsidized on these new offerings. VZW knows what is coming in terms of hardware, so certainly they would know what to expect from the end users.
Craig

I agree 100% but I also think the Providers have to get away from making profits on full price phones.

For example, if they pay 300-400 for a phone, why do they have to charge 599 without contract? I know they spend a lot of money subsidizing phones, but they get you "locked up" for that.

So, conversely, is it fair for them to make good sized profit because they aren't locking you in? I mean, they should get out of the phone business. They should sell them at or near cost not for profit. They would save themselves a lot in subsidy money if they did that. I know I'd pay 350-400 for a phone if I wasn't being locked in. If their service and reliability is up to par, they'll keep customers without locking them in.

I completely agree. Up until the big brew ha ha over the changes in upgrade policy, I had no idea how things were done outside the USA. We're supposed to be the guiding light for free enterprise for the entire world. After following the information posted in the thread, I realized I was part of the "ugly american" syndrome, I gotta have it now even if I end up paying more in the long run. Now I just have to get my noodle around the fact that being a VZW customer for what 15 or more years, means nothing to them. One year contracts here I come, and perhaps less trips to fast food joints.........

Craig

Rhino413

Reaction score
Voice and data is not a function of the phone....its a capability GSM has over CDMA. No CDMA phone has voice and data.

Sent from somewhere...

That's not true I had a Verizon xv6900 smart phone that had a cooked rom
and it had a hack that allowed data and voice at the same time. Cdma is capable but Verizon blocks phones from using this for one big reason its a way to control network overload.

Rhino413

Reaction score
And im betting the face time feature will be locked to wifi
ask any IT person and they will tell you voip is a data pig
and video is even more of a data pig
now combine those two on thousands of iphones running on our 3g and tell me
It wont slow it down

brianr0131

Reaction score
Voice and data is not a function of the phone....its a capability GSM has over CDMA. No CDMA phone has voice and data.

Sent from somewhere...

That's not true I had a Verizon xv6900 smart phone that had a cooked rom
and it had a hack that allowed data and voice at the same time. Cdma is capable but Verizon blocks phones from using this for one big reason its a way to control network overload.

Then you're the only person in the world. It's a limitation of CDMA

brianr0131

Reaction score
And im betting the face time feature will be locked to wifi
ask any IT person and they will tell you voip is a data pig
and video is even more of a data pig
now combine those two on thousands of iphones running on our 3g and tell me
It wont slow it down

You're right about bandwidth. Facetime only works on wifi for ATT too. Nothing new there.

Although new Skype works over 3G for ATT

Status
Not open for further replies.