Back in the day: Verizon iphone edition

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
6a00d83451b80969e200e55067bb678833-640wi.jpg

Sometimes I sit back and think about some of the things the world use to panic about like y2k, Mayan calendar 12/21/12, and Verizon getting the iPhone spelling the end of Android. There was a time when the iPhone was exclusive to At&t and other carriers carried android to compete, in particular the Droid-line for Verizon. When rumors came out that Verizon would get the iPhone there were people worried that Apple would get special treatment while android will be the red-headed step child. No one posting in this thread (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/no...-like-not-we-think-verizon-iphone-coming.html) back in the day would have believed you if you told them that in 3 years android devices would eclipse the iPhone. In fact people were prepared to fold up their android tents and go home. But here we are now and both android and apple are still standing and continuing to develop and evolve into better products for the customers.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I was mainly running Crack-berries until 2011. Dang that pearl was a POS.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I didn't know Android would do as well as it's doing. But, I knew the iPhone wouldn't be the, "end all, be all".

I jumped ship from Sprint to AT&T for the iPhone. Immediately I noticed that, in DC, AT&T's network was nowhere near as good. I was ecstatic about having an iPhone for about 5 months, then I started to fall OUT of love with aspect after aspect of the Apple ecosystem and platform. More and more people began to stress the AT&T network in NoVA/DC, and I became even more upset with my choice. Then, with 6 months left on my contract I had enough. I paid the AT&T ETF, put the iPhone in the kitchen drawer, and picked up the OG Droid on Verizon. After the first year of using it I knew Apple wasn't going to walk away with the market.

I think the next sea change in our relationship with cellphones is coming soon with people beginning to question "contract" buying. I think even regular non-"gadgetnerd" users are beginning to wise up as their level of knowledge continues to expand. People whom I would consider to NOT be gadget savvy have asked me about both the OnePlus One and Oppo's Find 7. Personally, I'm already getting ready to test other carriers when the Moto G LTE is released. And the perfect storm might happen if Sprint merges with TMo. They could start stealing customers if they get VoLTE working, and end up with strong network coverage. If that happens I hope Verizon has their alarm set... 'Cuz they might wake up to an empty boat.

I know I'm not the only one buckling my lifejacket, tossing one leg over the rail, and waiting for a reason.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought the LG Voyager because it looked like it could do much of what an iPhone could do. HAHAHAHAHAHA....NOT. I was so frustrated. I needed the ability to always be connected to the Internet, to be more productive in my daily life, but my Voyager only looked the part. I wanted an iPhone so bad, and I was tempted to jump ship to AT&T just to get one...then the Droid came. Oh beloved Droid. It was not the iPhone. It was the Audi, to the the iPhone's BMW, and I loved it for that very reason. It even had a pull out keyboard allowing me to type with ease.

I was blissful for a year or so, but I needed moar! It was time to ROOT.

600 Mhz CPU...nah...let's up that to 800 Mhz using a different kernel.

Blackdroid, Chevyrom, etc....
Now I'm a crack flasher!

Let's try to get it to 1.0 Ghz!!!!!!
Now I'm a speed junky.

MAN, those were the days.