Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you kidding? I am Going to store and laughing at people buying it

• I Could Care less

• Total voters

Darkseider

Reaction score
How many rooters do you think are out there? honestly? there's not even 200,000 trust me (and 200,000 is being EXTREMELY generous). your roommates, and brother-in-laws, and fifth cousins have their phones rooted because they know you and you told them about it. i hope you're not trying to suggest that rooters are in the millions, or even anywhere close to 200,000 because the crack reference seems to be ringing true in your case.

im willing to bet its less then 1% of all android phones are actually rooted.

as am i...because less then 1% are actually rooted.

I don't know about that. I am willing to bet that the number is more like 5% of all Android handsets are rooted, possibly more. Particularly the older handsets like the Droid, G1, Hero, MT line, Incredible, Eris, Desire, Nexus, etc... Damned near everyone I know with a Droid and those who I have met with an Android handset have it rooted and a lot of them are not "uber geeks" either. They just want more from their initial investment and want to extend the working life of their purchase. You would be surprised.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is ZERO chance that 5% of android users are rooted. No way in hell haha...android sales are growing at a ridiculously exponential rate. there is no way that rooting is growing at that same rate. 1% is generous, 5% is ridiculous

NVash

Reaction score
True. Thats you though. I know of only three people with Droid phones. Myself and my two friends. None of us are rooted. Truth be told I dont even think they have any idea how or what rooting is.

NVash

Reaction score
Sorry, shouldve quoted Darkseider. Just noticed we dont have an EDIT function anymore. Sorry about that everyone.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
True. Thats you though. I know of only three people with Droid phones. Myself and my two friends. None of us are rooted. Truth be told I dont even think they have any idea how or what rooting is.

And that's how the overwhelming majority is. I know tons of people with android phones and like your friends, they dont even know what rooting is, and probably would not have any interest in it.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Even if the number is as high as 5% of the phones, that isn't a very high number in the grand scheme of things.

Actually 5% is a huge number in the grand scheme of things. Between the VZW Droid lineup, the Galaxy S line and the G1/Hero/Desire line there would arguably be a solid 15 million units total between all of those. Now 5% of 15 million is 750k. That is not including the likes of the EVO, Nexus, MT Line, Acer Liquid series, etc... So to say that less than 1% of all Android handsets are rooted is just being naive and denying the fact that people are looking for more out of their investment because 1% would imply that 75k of all Android handsets are rooted. Hell I would be willing to be there are twice as many OG Droids rooted than that. Seriously due the numbers. The laws of probability are in my favor.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Even if the number is as high as 5% of the phones, that isn't a very high number in the grand scheme of things.

Actually 5% is a huge number in the grand scheme of things. Between the VZW Droid lineup, the Galaxy S line and the G1/Hero/Desire line there would arguably be a solid 15 million units total between all of those. Now 5% of 15 million is 750k. That is not including the likes of the EVO, Nexus, MT Line, Acer Liquid series, etc... So to say that less than 1% of all Android handsets are rooted is just being naive and denying the fact that people are looking for more out of their investment because 1% would imply that 75k of all Android handsets are rooted. Hell I would be willing to be there are twice as many OG Droids rooted than that. Seriously due the numbers. The laws of probability are in my favor.

You missed my point entirely. Even if the number of rooted is 5%, that still leaves 95% that would be very susceptible to switching phones. And I have talked with several rooted users that want to switch to the iPhone and Jailbreak those. Don't think all rooted users will stay in place. Won't happen.

Rodvette23

Reaction score

And that's how the overwhelming majority is. I know tons of people with android phones and like your friends, they dont even know what rooting is, and probably would not have any interest in it.

in my own experiences, I have ran into like 5-8 people with droid, at work and school, and none of them were rooted. When I asked them about it they gave me this puzzled look, heh. my cousins (2) and my friend has a droid. They are rooted, but because I told them what root was and what it can do for your phone, I wonder if they would have eventually found out about it on their own. One of my cousins knew about it cause he is a pretty tech savy person but the other one runs his own business and does not have time I imagine to do research on it with a business and a family to maintain.

My opinion? As a college student who is pretty busy with h/w and exams I will be giving the iphone a go when it comes to verizon. I have been down the road of rooting and customizing my phone to the way I want it, granted I have not gone as far as others in this forum, and I am spent. it takes a lot of times and patience, and now I want a change of scene. something simple, I mean is that so bad? I think not. It's like wanting a vacation.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol wut? you're saying that 150,000 OG droids are rooted?? geez man...DF itself has only 127,000 members (the majority of whom have the D1), and not all those members are rooted. You're making really generous assumptions by saying 150,000 D1 owners are rooted.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

in my own experiences, I have ran into like 5-8 people with droid, at work and school, and none of them were rooted. When I asked them about it they gave me this puzzled look, heh. my cousins (2) and my friend has a droid. They are rooted, but because I told them what root was and what it can do for your phone, I wonder if they would have eventually found out about it on their own. One of my cousins knew about it cause he is a pretty tech savy person but the other one runs his own business and does not have time I imagine to do research on it with a business and a family to maintain.

My opinion? As a college student who is pretty busy with h/w and exams I will be giving the iphone a go when it comes to verizon. I have been down the road of rooting and customizing my phone to the way I want it, granted I have not gone as far as others in this forum, and I am spent. it takes a lot of times and patience, and now I want a change of scene. something simple, I mean is that so bad? I think not. It's like wanting a vacation.

it's not bad at all. and you're not the only one who will switch. new customers will get the iphone, at&t customers will jump ship for the iphone, some current android users will switch (i know people who have already said they will as well), and even some current rooted android users will switch. it's going to happen, and anyone who says otherwise is in denial (which makes no sense since they have nothing to gain or lose by this happening hahaa)

johnwege

Reaction score

it's not bad at all. and you're not the only one who will switch. new customers will get the iphone, at&t customers will jump ship for the iphone, some current android users will switch (i know people who have already said they will as well), and even some current rooted android users will switch. it's going to happen, and anyone who says otherwise is in denial (which makes no sense since they have nothing to gain or lose by this happening hahaa)

I think I will most likely get the iPhone if/when it comes to Verizon. I have loved my droid, I had it rooted, but went back to stock because I just got sick of all the work involved. Now with the iPhone it just seems like a smoother experience. Plus the biggest plus for it is the itunes integration. I mean the droid is lacking in several key areas for me; the music player is horrible, i now use doubletwist which is an improvement but still buggy and not up to the par android should have. Secondly, on my droid there is no way to rent/buy movies in a legit way yet like u can on itunes. I travel a lot so I love just being able to rent a movie and go, not to mention all the digital copy movies I have that can be played on it. That's the main appeal to me anyways and I''m sure there's others just like me.

Darkseider

Reaction score

I think I will most likely get the iPhone if/when it comes to Verizon. I have loved my droid, I had it rooted, but went back to stock because I just got sick of all the work involved. Now with the iPhone it just seems like a smoother experience. Plus the biggest plus for it is the itunes integration. I mean the droid is lacking in several key areas for me; the music player is horrible, i now use doubletwist which is an improvement but still buggy and not up to the par android should have. Secondly, on my droid there is no way to rent/buy movies in a legit way yet like u can on itunes. I travel a lot so I love just being able to rent a movie and go, not to mention all the digital copy movies I have that can be played on it. That's the main appeal to me anyways and I''m sure there's others just like me.

Umm.. I can play all my digital copies just fine. As for music players the stock one is OK. .3 is much better if you fancy. Doubletwist does the job as well, although not quite as nice as iTunes. As for renting movies. Have you tried FiOS on Demand on the Droid yet available from the Verizon Marketplace? Works like a charm and has a ton of movies to rent OR buy.

johnwege

Reaction score

Umm.. I can play all my digital copies just fine. As for music players the stock one is OK. .3 is much better if you fancy. Doubletwist does the job as well, although not quite as nice as iTunes. As for renting movies. Have you tried FiOS on Demand on the Droid yet available from the Verizon Marketplace? Works like a charm and has a ton of movies to rent OR buy.

I didn't know about FiOS, just downloaded and will check it out Thanks. As for the digital copies they just have never worked on mine unfortunately.

Darkseider

Reaction score

I didn't know about FiOS, just downloaded and will check it out Thanks. As for the digital copies they just have never worked on mine unfortunately.

Try Rock Player for the Digital Copies works like a charm for me. Free fromt he market.