1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Android Marketing Numbers Coming Out on Top Again

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 13, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Not too long ago we reported some great Android marketing numbers, here and here, that show Android pulling ahead of iOS in many ways. Since many of us love to see these numeric representations of 'Andy' beating the snot out of his competition, here is another report with Android coming out on top.

Millennial Media (don't you love the bright and happy names these marketing companies always seem to have), released their report indicating that in two of their best metrics, Android has risen above its competition. According to their research, sixteen of the top 30 devices all run Android, with products ranging from the likes of Motorola, LG, Samsung, and HTC. Also, in overall ad impressions and ad revenue from apps, Android holds 46% and 55%, respectively, compared to Apple’s 32% and 39%. To add even more perspective, iOS saw little growth from January to December of 2010. Apple had 14% compared to Android’s 3,130%! And from Q3 to Q4, Android saw a respectable 141% growth compared to iOS’s 12%. Simply stunning!

Obviously the iPhone coming to Verizon will impede some of this explosive growth for Android, but ultimately many of us tend to forget that iOS exists on several carriers worldwide. Some regions even have multiple carriers boasting the product, yet Andy's growth has still dominated even in those markets.

Source: MocoNews
  2. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

so wait, you telling me, that there has already been Iphones on other networks other than simply ATT?
  3. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

And your telling me that android came out in 2007, years ahead of is time, and got a major head start on the competition!?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  4. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

So why dont we have all the good apps like IPhone?
  5. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

Yes. iPhones in ther countries though not in the U.S. AT&T is u.S. exclusive.
  6. jbdow

jbdow New Member

It sure looks like deja vu all over again to me...:)

And i'm assuming the story about iphone apps must have a kernel of truth to it
    since i'm always hearing it from varied sources. I would guess this might be due to
    more stringent requirements/testing on the ios ?

r, john
  7. BlueSami

BlueSami New Member

no no no...
    this is just a biast report for android.

we all know IOS is the best around... lol
  8. Logan3824

Logan3824 New Member

Lol at this convo....People crack me up.

+1 for android!
  9. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Since Big Red has picked up iOS, I can see MANY more heated debates on DF! Seriously, they're phones, breathe :)
    Still prefer Android though dancedroid

DroidForums Junkie!!
  10. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

Actually, I thought you were pulling out the "only one phone on one network" card...backing iOS. My apologies. I didn't see the last paragraph in the OP. I've heard that argument waaaay too many times recently. I was simply defending Andy. Now I see that I was a fool :eek:

11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

You know, as I'm typing this I realize I'm going on 6 months and still haven't gotten completely used to this new laptop keyboard. By all rights, it's superior to my last one and there's certainly no reason it isn't "as good", but the learning curve and adjustment period gives that perception. I think a lot of this is what you see with people who came from IOS. "Better" is easily confused with frustration over adapting to "different". IOS has its shortcomings, too, but when you're being nostalgic you tend to have recall bias forgetting how much those shortcomings annoyed you. Everything is the best and great because there was no comparison, and it takes time to overwrite that first impression. I believe you'll see people switching from Android to their first IPhone who will have buyer's remorse for similar reasons.

Anyway, this is simply the reality of the numbers game. Android offers more options across more pricing points. By the end of the year it will have the largest smartphone market share, globally, by a good margin.
  12. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

Please can somebody explain to me, whats holding the droid back?

whats going on?
  13. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Don't you worry : ) with the new processors and capabilities you will see some quality applications/games. They are already improving by leaps and bounds. Remember Android is still a baby and it's grown up pretty darn fast.
  14. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

To me it's pretty simple. If you want quality apps, you're going to have to pay for them.

I don't think that people who purchase Android phones want to put out any money for an app. I hear people complaining about $5.00. Well in Apples' App Store it's can cost $10.00 or more.

Yet just about every time I see a post asking about an app the person will say "looking for a free app" or "no, I don't want to pay for it."

When the Market can sell apps for 10, 15, 20 dollars then you'll truly see a better Market and quality apps.
  15. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

I'm perfectly content with the apps in the market. I don't see anything wrong with any of them.

16. kodiak799

It's an interesting point. Of course, I've heard some apps making more off ads on Android than pay on Apple. And Google proves the advertising model works.

Although if I'm a developer unsure how my app will be received that pay model is probably better, and maybe why more apps start with Apple first.
  17. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I've heard Angry Birds does. But there really is very little advertising in Angry Birds, well, at least for me. I'm not good at it so I never get to the next level. I dion't see the commercials.

The App Store also has free apps with advertisements. Very annoying, obvious advertisements.
  18. kodiak799

That's the dynamic....A game d/l a lot and played a lot will make more money on ads. An app with a different sort of usage pattern won't do as well. Probably a very tough thing for developers to understand and choose correctly.