• Are you kidding? I am Going to store and laughing at people buying it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Could Care less

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess for lack of a better way to put it, Apple and Google have actually come to complement each other quite well. There seems to be a good back and forth between them pushing the advancements.

Good point. It's a threat to Google's strategy if they fall behind Apple or Apple gets a dominant foothold.

What's interesting is Google seems to be shifting focus a bit more to attacking Blackberry's market. Could be game over if they have success there. For whatever reason, Apple hasn't really been able to dent BB in the business segment, and it probably has a lot to do with AT&T's lousy service.

If IPhone is really coming to VZW (and I think it's a near certainty, only a question of when)....well if you own RIM stock you might want to sell. RIM could see a surprising loss of market share in the next year. Granted, already down 37% from it's Mar high and 67% from its 2008 high.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Completely agree. I think Blackberry is getting hit from both sides and will really start to take a major hit. Talked to a lot of Android people that came over from BB's. The iPhone would really be one of the last nails in the coffin, I believe.

mkzbdroid

Reaction score
Realistic View

I would rather not have an Iphone on VZW if it was my choice...I sell Verizon and with the Iphone coming to us its somewhat of a disappointment to me. android has done so well, android to me attracts much more well rounded person that can think for themselves...not one person Ive had come up to me with an Iphone and tell me why its better than android :icon_eek:. funny thing is today I had a guy came in and he literally skipped a beat when I told him the REAL market share numbers and how android has already passed iOS in share....he just dismissed me saying that cant be true lol! classic!! fine with me if ATT keeps these customers!! LTE 38 cities Q4 baby!!:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

mkzbdroid

Reaction score
lol what?

Further, a couple others nailed it. Why, exactly, is it so important to be so incredibly derogatory about the iPhone? Only a fraction of the people running their mouths about them that I have met have ever even touched them before slamming them.

And say what you will, Apple DOES make a very nice piece of hardware. There is no denying that unless your delusional. And don't bring up the antenna bit on the 4G. I will throw out antenna and signal issues on Android all day long.

dude have you ever heard an Iphone user? they rant constantly about how everything Iphone is better, and yes apple does make a great piece of Technology(samsung CPU,various other parts outsourced) but as far as the trance that steve jobs has created you need to really consider knocking them down a peg. does the Iphone have flash? how long did it take for actually multitasking? how is it that there are multiple studies concluding the Iphone 4 is the most fragile of all with a stainless steel belt? why is every single refresh of the device so greatly admired since its almost the exact same as its former unit?

has any manufacturer for android ever issued a fix for the antenna with another piece of hardware after the fact? HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU JUSTIFY ANY OF THESE FACTS AND STILL CHARGE AN ARM AND A LEG.....simple polish that rock and someday it will be shiny!!!

NVash

Reaction score
The original Droid does more than knock the iPhone down a peg. It knocks it out of the park. Live wallpapers, camera with flash, emulation on it already without having to jailbreak it, and these are before one roots the thing.

All this out of the way, there are problems with the Droid as well. One main thing that irks my nerves? Its slow as molasses. Sure, you can wipe the phone and maybe itll run faster but really who has that kind of patience? Ive done it twice, many arent strangers to my story. Think your average user will take an update to 2.2 and then happily wipe their phone just to get it running smoothly again? Severely doubt it. It took me a few days to get acclimated to the phone, checking out apps and whatnot like that. Think people will take a few days as I did? Doubt it. And the main gripe, most times the phone messes up its because of a faulty app. Maybe Im not talking to the right people but Ive never heard of faulty apps on the iPhone that may very well push the phone into a continuous reboot cycle. Speaking of apps, remember when the Mario Live Wallpaper came out? Few people, including myself, had to wipe their phone entirely just to find that app in the Market. What kinda mess was that? Now its vanished entirely but who cares, I have it. I can wipe said phone to make this update speed up and lose that app that I wiped it for many months ago or continue to deal with the slowdown. Think your average user wants to be faced with this kind of problem? I think not. Honestly I wouldnt be surprised if many came from iPhones to Droid and then went right back.

The Droid is an excellent phone, dont get me wrong. Best one Ive had yet. But it has its share of problems too and IMHO some of them are just inexcusable.

mrksbrd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
mrksbrd
The original Droid does more than knock the iPhone down a peg. It knocks it out of the park. Live wallpapers, camera with flash, emulation on it already without having to jailbreak it, and these are before one roots the thing.

All this out of the way, there are problems with the Droid as well. One main thing that irks my nerves? Its slow as molasses. Sure, you can wipe the phone and maybe itll run faster but really who has that kind of patience? Ive done it twice, many arent strangers to my story. Think your average user will take an update to 2.2 and then happily wipe their phone just to get it running smoothly again? Severely doubt it. It took me a few days to get acclimated to the phone, checking out apps and whatnot like that. Think people will take a few days as I did? Doubt it. And the main gripe, most times the phone messes up its because of a faulty app. Maybe Im not talking to the right people but Ive never heard of faulty apps on the iPhone that may very well push the phone into a continuous reboot cycle. Speaking of apps, remember when the Mario Live Wallpaper came out? Few people, including myself, had to wipe their phone entirely just to find that app in the Market. What kinda mess was that? Now its vanished entirely but who cares, I have it. I can wipe said phone to make this update speed up and lose that app that I wiped it for many months ago or continue to deal with the slowdown. Think your average user wants to be faced with this kind of problem? I think not. Honestly I wouldnt be surprised if many came from iPhones to Droid and then went right back.

The Droid is an excellent phone, dont get me wrong. Best one Ive had yet. But it has its share of problems too and IMHO some of them are just inexcusable.

I will put my DROID 1 up against any release of an IPhone. As far as speed issues are you rooted? If so best ROM I have found to date is Project Elite. A quick fix if your not rooted is a app called "spare parts" launch it and change transition speed and windows speed to fast. That will give you a noticeable difference

NVash

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Ill try that. But that also adds to my post. How many people would actually take the time to root? I know I never did. I was a full time college student when I got this squeezing time in to learn it as best I can when I had it. Most people I know with iPhones are college students who are very busy. I severely doubt theyd have the time or patience to work with a Droid and figure out its odds and ins when they have an iPhone thats ready to go right out of the box.

jack902902

Reaction score
As for hardware functionality, Android will continue to be one foot ahead.

:greendroid:

while i love my android i have to laugh at this comment. The benifit of the same company designing both the hardware and software is what makes the iphone run so much better then any other device on the market.

android is like a car you buy from a chopshop. You have the base then you add all sorts of random parts that weren't initially designed to work together.

i love android and seriously doubt i would ever jump ship but you have to give it to apple when it comes to hardware functionality and reliability.

You're right, I just meant, Android phones, such as the Droid X have such attributes that would take iPhone two upgrades to acquire.

However, time and patients is the root of quality, and that, the iPhone
has.

Having such an open market with Android, it creates more exploration, and that's what I mean by, Android will be one foot ahead.

I am a chopshop type person, and don't care for Apple's simplicity.

Darkseider

Reaction score
For those so adamant about Verizon not getting the iPhone, did any of you catch the press release about the iPad coming to Verizon at the end of the month? You don't think that means anything in the grand scheme? I'll bet money you're wrong on that one.

As far as those talking such an incredibly large amount of trash about the iPhone, you should be thanking God that it exists, because I will say here and now Android would NOT be growing and developing like it is today without the iPhone competition. It ain't the Windows Mobile platform pushing Android growth.

Further, a couple others nailed it. Why, exactly, is it so important to be so incredibly derogatory about the iPhone? Only a fraction of the people running their mouths about them that I have met have ever even touched them before slamming them. How incredibly mature.

If everyone wants to really see Android grow and develop, even faster than it is now, than the iPhone will be the means to help it happen.

I have the Incredible now and love it but will say right here and now, if the iPhone hits Verizon, I'll be upgrading my wife's phone so she can have it. Not everyone has the patience or inclination to root a phone to really get the most out of it. Some people are lucky to even turn it on.

And say what you will, Apple DOES make a very nice piece of hardware. There is no denying that unless your delusional. And don't bring up the antenna bit on the 4G. I will throw out antenna and signal issues on Android all day long.

And? It is a plain jane Wifi iPad. No different than the ones sold in Best Buy and Target. Verizon is just taking advantage of the open sales and are pushing their MiFi module, which by the way, happens to be the ONLY way to connect this thing to the interwebs. Without it you are stuck in your living room on plain WiFi. There is NO 3G CDMA antenna. Apple WILL not, never has and never will redesign a product in mid-cycle and re-release it.

Oooh one more thing. The iPad on VZW is no different than the Sprint iPad using their mobile internet sleeve, connection thingy. It's just a WiFi iPad folks.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android needs a miracle once the iPhone comes out on VZW. Sad to say but its true. current droiders will switch instantly, and new customers will go for the iPhone not android. And the advertising for the iPhone on VZW is going to be ridiculous. I'm sticking with Android, but yes, this will open the floodgates for all the uneducated consumers who just want eye candy and don't want to learn their phone (and there's nothing wrong with that, because most people just want the newest greatest thing). Android is in trouble....that's for sure.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
iphone is for those who don't want to root, don't want to heavily search, don't want to think too long.
Those who get crazy mad if you call it a smart phone are correct. It is in a class by itself for the dumbphone user who wants more capabilities but in the same simplistic way of doing it. Very few iPhone users will complain that they can't do this or that to the os because they don't want to do it. They want pinch zoom, easy texting, easy easy easy everything. Proof of this is its a known fact that holding the 4 a certain way causes problems. Instead of the sheep learning not to hold the phone that way they issue a cover. Problem solved, the sheep don't have to think. iphone at its finest and there is a huge market on Verizon for that product. Oh my I see reviews in the market people complain about this or that needs to be different but don't realize the option to make it do this or that is already on the app in the settings menu.
Most users are not like us on these forums

wified from my monolith using a slider keypad

Darkseider

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Ill try that. But that also adds to my post. How many people would actually take the time to root? I know I never did. I was a full time college student when I got this squeezing time in to learn it as best I can when I had it. Most people I know with iPhones are college students who are very busy. I severely doubt theyd have the time or patience to work with a Droid and figure out its odds and ins when they have an iPhone thats ready to go right out of the box.

The time it takes to learn how to root a Droid, flash a ROM and Kernel on it is about the same time it took you to do you initial post and this response. Youtube instructional video + 5 minutes = Rooted and ROM'd Droid. That's about the long and short of it. Now if you want to learn further tweaking that is more on a power user level, compcache, EXT4 swap partitions, insertable modules for TUN, EXT4, BTFRS, EXT3, NTFS, etc... there is a lot more to learn. But for basic rooting, OC'ing and flashing a ROM to your phone. Meh 10 minutes, tops.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
iphone is for those who don't want to root, don't want to heavily search, don't want to think too long.
Those who get crazy mad if you call it a smart phone are correct. It is in a class by itself for the dumbphone user who wants more capabilities but in the same simplistic way of doing it. Very few iPhone users will complain that they can't do this or that to the os because they don't want to do it. They want pinch zoom, easy texting, easy easy easy everything. Proof of this is its a known fact that holding the 4 a certain way causes problems. Instead of the sheep learning not to hold the phone that way they issue a cover. Problem solved, the sheep don't have to think. iphone at its finest and there is a huge market on Verizon for that product. Oh my I see reviews in the market people complain about this or that needs to be different but don't realize the option to make it do this or that is already on the app in the settings menu.

exactly, and that is probably 99% of the user base. the vzw iphone will be an android killer.

Darkseider

Reaction score

I pretty much agree with this entire post. The iPhone should not be classified a smart phone. It is more or less a feature phone on steroids. Now with that being said. If you jailbreak iOS4 on an iPhone4 or iOS 3.x on a 3GS it then has the capabilities of becoming a TRUE smart phone with far more functionality. This functionality comes standard on an Android handset without the need to root the device. Those that root want even more than what stock gives us, which is quite a bit. The ability to overclock, custom kernels with insertable modules or modules compiled in, swap, compcache, etc... Granted this is on the higher end of the smartphone/geek ladder but it is available for those that want to do it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

The time it takes to learn how to root a Droid, flash a ROM and Kernel on it is about the same time it took you to do you initial post and this response. Youtube instructional video + 5 minutes = Rooted and ROM'd Droid. That's about the long and short of it. Now if you want to learn further tweaking that is more on a power user level, compcache, EXT4 swap partitions, insertable modules for TUN, EXT4, BTFRS, EXT3, NTFS, etc... there is a lot more to learn. But for basic rooting, OC'ing and flashing a ROM to your phone. Meh 10 minutes, tops.

the point is the majority (and by majority i mean OVERWHELMING majority) have no interest or inclination to root (that doesn't make that lazy or inadequate). It makes them the average consumer. I don't blame people for wanting to have the iPhone because the iPhone is a great piece of technology. Sure we can say "oh you can just root" but that's not practical for most android users. the rooting community is minuscule.