How much will the Verizon iPhone affect Android?

If Verizon offers an iPhone will you buy one?

• Never, I'm Android for life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely, been waiting for it

• Depends on <insert reason here>

• Keep it on AT&T!

• Undecided

• Total voters

Dankinia

Reaction score
One of the big sellers for me on getting a Droid was the physical keyboard. Since I doubt Apple will ever put a physical keyboard on an Iphone I won't be getting one if they ever come to Version. I also like how I can customize the Droid to suit my needs.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Have to agree I'd just prefer not to have the IPhone and get all of those extra smartphone users from AT&T.

But as mentioned it's probably not going to matter that much since Android is bring in new smartphone users like crazy, anyway.

LOL, besides, IPhone can't tether and they don't have flash, so how much bandwidth can they really suck up?

I just wonder how Apple and VZW play nice here when Apple will want VZW pushing what is, ostensibly, an over-priced mid-tier phone.

customer: "I want the IPhone"
VZW rep: "ok, is this your first smart phone?"
customer: "No, I've had the IPhone for over 3 years, why would you ask that?"
VZW rep: "because we recommend the overpriced IPhone to new smartphone users and Android to more demanding people who know what they are doing"

fenriswolf039

Reaction score
Blah blah blah verizon iphone = fail

It's not happening. Mark my words, this rumor comes out every couple of months.

Internet trolls who like to think they know more than other people just running their idiot mouths.

It's fake. Period. It was fake before, it's fake now.

gtfo.jpg

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
lol, this thread is awesome. So full of immature/incorrect assumptions and illogical thoughts based on nothing but speculation. It's pretty amusing how nuts all of you truly are.:happy:

droid_mike

Reaction score
I've been in denial, too, about the iPhone on Verizon, but it seems that Apple and Verizon have blinked. Apple is scared of Android, and the only way to stop it is to eat into their user base at Verizon. Not sure why Verizon wants in so badly, but I bet they won't be paying the massive subsidies that AT&T is... Hopefully, all the rumor mongering is just a way to get AT&T to pay more money to Apple to beg them to stay exclusive. Right now, there is no agreement, and the CDMA iPhones that the WSJ keeps reporting on are going to China (Apple is making a deal with the big chinese cell phone guys... that's a lock). Several analysts say that Apple and Verizon are not even close to an agreement, if any, but I bet something will eventually happen. Jobs is way too scared of Google... he'll cave eventually if Verizon plays their cards right.

A Verizon iPhone will be a big blow to Android's dominance, for sure. One can only hope that enough of a foothold can be gained to keep Anroid at a distant second place. The Windows phone is probably going to be a flop. It is a weak product, and while Microsoft will market it strong, it's not even close to comparable to an iPhone or Verizon. They stripped out all the good stuff from Windows Mobile and I bet it still will crash like crazy. Microsoft has had the market to themselves for a decade and have done nothing with it. I doubt that will change too much in the future.

So, we shall see. This will be Android's greatest challenge, yet. I hope we succeed.

Oh, as for switching... no way. I have an iPod that I never use... extremely weak and limited. Apps are too expensive and uncreative. It's not even close to being comparable to Android. I think most who switch over will be disappointed--I expect few who are on Android now to switch. That's what may end up saving the platform.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Android is outselling IPhones, and is very close (or ahead, depending on your source and the measurement cited) to IPhone's US market share.

I don't expect to see much switching between platforms. Users have too much time and money invested. It would create a real battle for new users where IPhone presumably would have a large advantage, but keep in mind that advantage wasn't large enough to bring those VZW customers to AT&T for the IPhone nor is their desire for a smartphone enough for them to not have already scooped up a Droid.

Apple will probably choose to do battle internationally, as mentioned. VZW doesn't need IPhone, but there is a large base of IPhone customers at AT&T eager to switch to a better carrier. VZW is about to have a lot of 3G capacity when LTE launches, so hmmm.....

But it does remain that Jobs needs VZW a lot more than they need him. And I don't expect VZW to become beholden to Apple.

I agree it's far from a done deal, but I wouldn't rule it out. VZW doesn't really have a horse in this race, they're in business to sell cell service and as long as there are 2 or more serious smartphone competitors they have no worries. These "rumors" are designed to delay would-be IPhone buyers from caving to buy a Droid now and, as mentioned, possibly to push AT&T to pony up more dough for exclusivity. And a lot seems to come from fanboys who appear desperate to defend IPhone as superior.

Truthfully, I'm not sure IPhone wants to go head-to-head with Droid in the VZW stores (and I think one of Jobs' demands is who can sell it and where = probably not in VZW stores). That has FAIL written all over it, seeing the Droid side-by-side and all it does that IPhone doesn't for probably less money. Like I said, most of these new buyers aren't enamored with IPhone or smartphones in general, so I doubt they flock in droves to IPhone when comparing specs and features side-by-side.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Voting wasn't enough for me. I'm a android customer for life, the Iphone is a controlled multimedia joke.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Now from a serious standpoint, I think the Iphone will make a great contribution to a already great lineup. It will definitely help Verizon grow its customer base.

scott craft

Reaction score
I will probably stick with android, but when the iphone gets to verizon I will compare. If it's the 4 I'm not interested, but something beyond that I will check out. I'm really waiting for gingerbread to hit the android phones.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gingerbread. The iPhone killer

wified from my monolith using a slider keypad

OP
R

RETG

I read these posts and what stands out is most are based on nothing but speculation.
No one can say for sure if the iphone is coming to Verizon or not, and if it does, when.
No one can say if it comes will it be 3G or 4G.
No one can say if the CDMA chips made for the iphone are for the USA or China.
No one can say how many will jump from the Android system to the iPhone system, or even from RIM to iPhone.
No one can say if Verizon’s 3G network will slow that much, since if 4G phones come before the iphone, it can be easily assumed a lot of 3G service users will be 4G users by next summer. In addition, the coming of tiered service might allow for less traffic.

And what amazes me is why we should care. If someone wants an iPhone over an Android device, so what. Unless you are a stock holder in Motorola, Samsun, HTC, etc., does it hurt anyone if someone wants an iPhone? Personally, I don’t like it, have friends who like it, and other friend who have tried it and jumped to Blackberry or Android from the iPhone. But it sure does not bother me what they heck they use. So long as when I call, they can hear me.

Reaction score
Side note: I thought Starcraft 2 was good, but not amazing, and $60 seems pretty expensive considering you only get 1/3 of the single player for that price....

On topic: I got my Droid because I was following the Omnia 2, then when I saw how much Verizon, Moto and Google were investing in Android OS and how solid the device was when I played with it in the store, and how MS had a great platform with their CE devices, but never got that to translate into a slick and easy to use phone platform, I decided to jump ship to Android from WM. (I was using a flip feature phone and carrying a pocket pc).

I really would have gotten an iPhone, except I wanted the Verizon network because the mobile-to-mobile with whom I was calling most made Verizon a better choice. The biggest argument that I always am amused to see not get enough attention (in my opinion) is the lack of an extra battery for the iPhones. You have to either plug in the iPhone and deal with a cable, let it sit and wait to use it, or plug it into some sort of piggyback sled device that adds bulk to the phone.

One of the first things I did when I got my Droid was to get a 2nd ac charger in the form of the nightstand dock, so I could have the one that came with the phone at my desk. I also got a car charger and an external battery charger with an extra battery I put at my desk. I like to read books on my phone and I find I never have any battery issues with my phone, even if talk on it and read and browse the internet.

Battery life is not a big deal for most any smartphone on the market with casual use. If you are, however, a user that tends to use their device a lot, then the battery life for all of the phones currently available as a smartphone can leave a lot to be desired. Seeing as how all of these devices need power to be something other than a paperweight, I think battery life is pretty important.

chtorr281

Reaction score
I wish it would be possible to own both an iPhone and Android phone and switch sim cards depending on what you want to carry that day. I still think the iPhone (and iPod touch) are in a different league than Android when it comes to gaming, both quality and selection, but I prefer Android for nearly everything else.

In an ideal world I would use a Droid X and iPhone 4 and switch out the sim card depending on my mood.

UNC

Reaction score
I wish it would be possible to own both an iPhone and Android phone and switch sim cards depending on what you want to carry that day. I still think the iPhone (and iPod touch) are in a different league than Android when it comes to gaming, both quality and selection, but I prefer Android for nearly everything else.

In an ideal world I would use a Droid X and iPhone 4 and switch out the sim card depending on my mood.

Well I am pretty certain that your wishes have long been granted...
There are a bunch of android phones with GSM radios... most notably, the Nexus 1. 2 new android devices just launched with GSM in America. The tmobile "G2" and the samsung galaxy S lineup (also available on cdma). When the droid2we or DroidPro come out, they'll have GSM as well....

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Isn't Gingerbread and the next gen of Android phones suppose to have ridiculous graphics and gaming ability?

I know Sony is coming out with a PS3 Android? I guess other gaming devices have gotten it wrong, but there's some serious potential. I'm not a gamer but I might step up to something like that to play the occasional game.