How much will the Verizon iPhone affect Android?

If Verizon offers an iPhone will you buy one?

• Never, I'm Android for life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely, been waiting for it

• Depends on <insert reason here>

• Keep it on AT&T!

• Undecided

• Total voters

a44kaliburll

Reaction score
I guess I should recant my chant...

<s>"Hell no, apple blows"</s>

I dont ever want to take on a guy that has another guy hiring body guards lol j/k

jrod1990

Reaction score
Android for life!!! I have never bought anything with the apple logo on it and don't see myself ever changing! Plus my 401K portfolio has some mutual funds with google.... :icon_ banana:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most of us here won't be bothered by it, but Android's growth on Verizon is gonna take at least a little hit.... I don't see how this CAN'T happen.

I don't care for the iPhone but with a better carrier service behind it, there's gonna be adopters. The crippling 'one carrier' approach will be gone...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess I should recant my chant...

I dont ever want to take on a guy that has another guy hiring body guards lol j/k

haha obvious jokes are fine and it's the internet so for all I know he was joking, although it didn't seem that way to me. But to get back on topic I will give my opinion.

I bought my droid 1 in march because at the time it was the best verizon had to offer. This was also before I really understood open source and rooting and all that good stuff. Shortly after I bought it I found this forum and have learned to turn my phone into a toy in a way. I customize it how I want. But back in march not knowing of these things if Verizon had the iPhone I would have bought it. Now with these major companies taking steps to ensure people don't root and locking down our phones more and more, I think it puts the iPhone on a more level playing field with android phones. If another phones comes out truly as open as my droid 1, I would get it in a heartbeat over the iPhone. But if we get to the point where our phones are just as locked down as the iPhone is I would definitely consider buying the iPhone!

frozty

Reaction score
I wouldn't get one, but if this did happen, I would seriously consider switching from Verizon to Sprint. Verizon will not be able to handle the traffic if and when this happens, and the 3G and 4G networks will be so ridiculously bogged down by both Apple and Android that it will be a disaster.

Plus, keep the snobby schmucks on AT&T. I don't care for those d-bags sharing my network.

More and more android users are joining the Verizon 3g network and I don't think Verizon will increase the rates, perhaps 4G will be expensive.

And common who would want a iphone over a droid. I think its safe to say that now day's google's platform has surpassed the ios due to its huge ability to adapt and its availability. Not to mention that not only developers from this country are making contributions but also people from china as we all know the MIUI Rom witch is caught the ROM junkies by surprise and feeding their rom addiction.

At least these forum's users will agree.

a44kaliburll

Reaction score
I really want a phone that does it all..rooting is fun, but the only use I got off rooting is custom themes.

My future phone would be: (desired)

Verizon LTE
Front Facing Camera
Froyo or newer
no rootkits.

But if apple came out with all of that...then its either or...I like the retina display...and music player. But I love google....sooooo..its up in the air.

accellpo

Reaction score
This will be bad for Apple! The few misguided souls that leave Android for the iphone will be quickly disappointed. The IOS is seriously lacking compared to Android. The iphone's weaknesses will become much more apparent next to the Droid line. I don't think it'll happen anyway.

Droidfish

Reaction score
Definitely going to take a certain amount of market share from android, mainly because I don't think android users are as big of fanboys as apple/iphoners ( with everyone at droidforums being the exception;) )

Do I want one? No

Might I want one in the future? Possibly

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea it will affect sales, like the Win 7 phone will too. They will be new phones on Verizon....Do I want one? Not anymore. I did after I had the Omnia 1 ...I used one once, saw it alot cuz a co worker had one and I wanted it bad...

After the Droid 1, I didnt want the iPhone anymore. I think I will look at Win 7 first before looking at the iPhone..

maxohkc

Reaction score
I can guarantee that an Apple device on Verizon would completely destroy Android... I love Android you guys love Android. But the general population would rather have an iphone they are blinded by the PR...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Then how did Android phones skyrocket in market share so fast? I think too many ppl dismiss that Android and the phones it run on is a good product.

If thats really the case, everyone would have joined AT&T just for the iPhone and Verizon, T Mobile and Sprint would be outta business right now.

I also think some of us put the iPhone on too high of a pedestal. I think verizon did a pretty good job marketing the Droid line up and the Fascinate.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I'm android for life, but not anti-apple/iphone. My buddy has an iphone, he jailbroke his like I rooted mine; its fun to spit back and forth "mine DOES this... yea well your's DOESN'T do this." And I'm a Graphic Designer, and I absolutely HATE microsoft. But I would not get an iPhone no matter what network or specs. It's not open like an Android powered phone, and the choices about which android-powered phone you want is great as well. They could do so much more if it were iOS vs Android OS, but Steve's greedy like that (yea, a Mac user said that, because I know all too well that he is). As long as Android users, developers, and phone manufacturers don't get scared off about this, I think friendly competition would be great.

And if it slows the network down from all of the data; then let the bandwagon jumpers jump off and go back to AT&T/Sprint, the network will go back to normal, and all of us who weathered the storm will be able to show our true colors (whether it's Green for Android, or Red and Black for Verizon).

Big_Ron

Reaction score
I'm over seas and have a iPhone. due to rotate to the states in about 20 days. I cant wait to get a Droid X. I hate the iPhone, Hate iTunes even more. i cant do any thing with out iTunes. The only reason I have a iPhone is because it was handed down to me jail broke and GSM unlocked so I can use Sim cards from any country and use Skype when we pull in to a port.

"Hell no, apple blows!"
"Hell no, apple blows!"

a44kaliburll i'm chanting right there with you

sdlenhert

Reaction score
I would personally stay with Android as it offers customization, flexability and rooting that Apple does not. I've spoken to current Apple users and when they see and use my Droid X, they are impressed enough to consider a switch. In my opinion, Android is the better choice.