ICS Root Check

ts47

Reaction score
I know how I'd personally do it but I'm a bit biased. What you're trying to do sounds like a lot of PITA work to me. I'd just boot up the House of Bionic and use the FXZ 905 KEEP DATA option and call it good. :)

Do you have a link that a newb like me can follow to accomplish that?

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Okay, got it. I should have figured that out on my own.

I'll do some reading and see if I can make sense of it.

Thanks.

No problem. The gist of it is, download the HoB 6.1 installer and the components 1.0 installer. Install them in that order, connect your phone to USB and set to charge only mode, then run the HouseOfBionic.bat. You'll see an option for 905_FXZ KEEP DATA. Use that and it'll reset you to stock 905 while keeping all your data. Superuser and all remnants of root will be removed.

EDIT: (Obviously you need the moto drivers installed, and those can be found in my HoB thread)

devils3023

Reaction score
Seems to have some bugs. I just installed the. 244 leak and have NEVER been rooted yet it shows qe1/1.

jetguat

Reaction score
You would be correct. :)

I'm thinking about rooting my Bionic. But I wanted to check out this root checker.
so I powered down. Help both volume Up/down and hit power. After a bit I see the yellow droid bot
with is stomach open the the ! point above him.

But I dont see any qe x/x or anothing.

in fact it just sits there for a minute or two.. then boots into normal mode.

am I now doing something correctly after I use volume down to select recovery then volum up to select?

I am 4.0.4 .246

Help

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Power off
Hold volume up and down at the same time and then press power
At the menu, volume down to recovery
Volume up to select
When the Android icon comes up, press Volume Up + Volume Down at the same time
Now you will see the recovery menu. The qe display is at the bottom.

jetguat

Reaction score
Ok I was booting into recovery the wrong way. I did it. and its reporting qe 1/1
Hows that possible. that means the phone is currently rooted right? I've never rooted it. It was freshly purchase on the 1st
day the bionic became available.

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
No, it means their "root checker" code is a piece of ****. :) It has many bugs. Tons of people have said screw it, if I'm gonna get nailed for running root falsely, I might as well do it. So, uh, good job, moto. LMAO

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I was booting into recovery the wrong way. I did it. and its reporting qe 1/1
Hows that possible. that means the phone is currently rooted right? I've never rooted it. It was freshly purchase on the 1st
day the bionic became available.

Same thing here, although I got mine the Monday after it first came out. A suggestion was made that I had gotten a reconditioned one that was sold as new at the Verizon store. I'm going with the "bugs" theory.

zmyr88

Reaction score
here's and idea. possibly the leaked version is tainted in some way so that it will ALWAYS show as root. so they know who got impatient..... remember before the SOAK its considered buggy and could in theory cause hardware damage. so they marked the code to set the root flag. or maybe the leak is *GASP* actually rooted, was rooted at some iteration, or modifed code.

thoughts?

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You don't want my thoughts. No, seriously, I have nothing at all kind to say about what you just wrote so I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
here's and idea. possibly the leaked version is tainted in some way so that it will ALWAYS show as root. so they know who got impatient..... remember before the SOAK its considered buggy and could in theory cause hardware damage. so they marked the code to set the root flag. or maybe the leak is *GASP* actually rooted, was rooted at some iteration, or modifed code.

thoughts?

Well, back last December I installed the .901 update that a few had gotten OTA. I then installed the .901 to .902 update that they had gotten as well. Every other update, including ICS, has been OTA. Never rooted. Didn't install any of the ICS leaks. The Root Checker app says I'm not rooted and "qe 1/1" means I'm currently rooted.

Your theory might have merit if only those who installed an ICS leak showed "qe 1/1," but I don't believe that's the case. It seems more likely that the root checker itself has a bug.