ICS Root Check

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Maddog241 said:
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with what you said and I try to live that way. I just see more and more playing the blame game when it comes time to "man up".

But just because others do it doesn't make it right, nor does it mean the rest of us should suffer. Group punishment sucks, but it is the standard reaction today.

Maddog241

Reaction score
But just because others do it doesn't make it right, nor does it mean the rest of us should suffer. Group punishment sucks, but it is the standard reaction today.

There is usually at least one in the crowd who screws things up for the rest of us honest folks.

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I did the OTA update to ICS on my Droid 4, and "accidentally" left it rooted (I intended to hide root, but forgot). No problems.

I'm not overly concerned about it. Just thought people should be aware of it. It COULD be used by VZW/Moto at some point.

striker85

Reaction score
The earpiece on my Bionic is blown out so I'm getting a new phone. To CYA I fxz'd back to 905 and when I booted into stock recovery, there was no counter or anything. When I was rooted, in stock recovery, it showed 1/1. But after fxz it shows nothing. I think whoever is claiming this root checker may be misinforming the community.

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That's quite the conclusion you've drawn. Wrong that it may be. The FXZ to 905 doesn't remove the root check or the flag that says what state your phone is in. What is ACTUALLY happening is that the 905 recovery img didn't display it. Nothing more, nothing less. If they took your phone and upgraded it to ICS, they'd see the nice little qe display and would know if you've been rooted or not.

markc23

Reaction score
I was on 905 OTA, not rooted, never was, loaded the 232 leak a few weeks ago, haven't rooted. Went in to recovery to wipe cache as the phone has been getting laggy, and my counter read 1/1. Why would this be?

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that their root checker has bugs. I've noticed similar issues after updating to a new ICS build that it still shows 1/1. Hey, that's not a bad thing...use it as an argument if they give you a hard time. :D

markc23

Reaction score
Thanks, doubt I'll need to argue, I loved the phone on 905, love it on 232. Debating on moving to 244, if only to stop the lag....

pistacio

Reaction score
It has probably been built in all along, but in ICS Recovery is programed to actually go in and read where ever value is stored and makes it visible. I'm willing to bet Moto has a diagnostic tool that can tell all kinds of things about the history of your phone. How many times it's been flashed, rooted, booted, etc...

I've sent in many previously rooted then unrooted phones for warranty thru Motorola... Never an issue , but all were hardware problems.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I've sent in many previously rooted then unrooted phones for warranty thru Motorola... Never an issue , but all were hardware problems.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I sent in a rooted Bionic, but, even with this root checker they'd have not known. How? The screen died. :)

Just_AGuy

Reaction score
I was rooted on 905 for a brief time. Unrooted. Went to ICS 232 some time later and it show qe 1/1. NEVER rooted on ICS. I think this supports what Samuri is saying. But from what I read, I should be showing qe 0/1, not currently rooted but previously rooted. So maybe there is a bug in there reporting.

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I definitely believe there's a bug in what it's showing...especially on 232. But yea, that's essentially what I'm saying. It knows if you've ever been rooted and just going back to GB doesn't "fix it".

ts47

Reaction score
I sent in a rooted Bionic, but, even with this root checker they'd have not known. How? The screen died. :)

Samuri,
I rooted with motofail under 902 then lost root when updated to 905. I'd like to uninstall super user.
am I correct in assuming that I would need to reroot, then unroot using something like Super SU in order to uninstall super user?

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Samuri,
I rooted with motofail under 902 then lost root when updated to 905. I'd like to uninstall super user.
am I correct in assuming that I would need to reroot, then unroot using something like Super SU in order to uninstall super user?

I know how I'd personally do it but I'm a bit biased. What you're trying to do sounds like a lot of PITA work to me. I'd just boot up the House of Bionic and use the FXZ 905 KEEP DATA option and call it good. :)