root checker

xtor

Reaction score
jkaod said:
If you have to send it in for an insurance replcement, this simple, yet effective device will insure that no one will be able to detect if the phone has been rooted. Available at Home Depot, Lowes or any other fine hardware store.

That was my thought +1

point of origin

Droid 51

Reaction score
I have seen 2 different articles where Verizon is making Motorola install a root checker in the stock recovery so they can tell if the phone is or ever has been rooted but it is starting with the ics ota and some phones already have it and the bionic is next but what i really want to know is if anyone is working on a go around for this or some kind of way to reset it http://t.co/aw9JOd7f

Last edited:

amadeuss

Reaction score
I really don't care. I usually fix stuff on my own. Since 2001 when I had my 1st phone I never had it serviced by anyone else but me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

amadeuss

Reaction score
Btw the hammer idea is great. Instead of having phones to repair and resell they will have more stolen and lost claims as well as I accidentally hit it with a hammer claims.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TatDroid

Reaction score
This whole line of discussion is very fascinating to me. We root our phones knowing full well that doing so will void the warranty. It's stated up front and there is no question about it. However, we don't expect to get caught or have to pay the consequences.

It's sort of like going 80mph in a 55mph zone. We KNOW it's wrong, but we're hoping we don't get caught and have to pay. Well guess what just happened? Verizon just set up a radar trap around that next bend.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
TatDroid said:
This whole line of discussion is very fascinating to me. We root our phones knowing full well that doing so will void the warranty. It's stated up front and there is no question about it. However, we don't expect to get caught or have to pay the consequences.

It's sort of like going 80mph in a 55mph zone. We KNOW it's wrong, but we're hoping we don't get caught and have to pay. Well guess what just happened? Verizon just set up a radar trap around that next bend.

I understand this argument, but they already have a way to make sure they aren't having to replace phones that were screwed up by a rooter. If you brick your phone, they are gonna know it's rooted because you won't be able to change it back. If your phone is functional enough to unroot, it's most likely the problem has nothing to do with the rooting

TatDroid

Reaction score
joshxdroid said:
I understand this argument, but they already have a way to make sure they aren't having to replace phones that were screwed up by a rooter. If you brick your phone, they are gonna know it's rooted because you won't be able to change it back. If your phone is functional enough to unroot, it's most likely the problem has nothing to do with the rooting

Understood. But I don't think the agreement says they agree to un-void your warranty if you un-root your phone.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
TatDroid said:
Understood. But I don't think the agreement says they agree to un-void your warranty if you un-root your phone.

No doubt. I guess I'd have to know the numbers about if they are actually losing money due to people getting replacements after rooting. I would argue if it's not effecting them, then why tick off your faithful customer base just to avoid a few replacements. The vast majority of replacements have nothing to do with rooting

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

Of course not. There are plenty of things you could have done to it WHILE rooted thay would make them hesitate to ever offer a warranty on said device again.

Overclocking, for instance.

Droid 51

Reaction score
Well i guess as many as it takes to answer the damn question or maybe i just didnt see it anywhere else and no i dont need u to find it for me or how about if u dont have anything to add that will help then dont waist my time or your with a smart a$$ remark excuse me Mr. Droid sir for asking a questio that has already been asked

Last edited:

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
No doubt. I guess I'd have to know the numbers about if they are actually losing money due to people getting replacements after rooting. I would argue if it's not effecting them, then why tick off your faithful customer base just to avoid a few replacements. The vast majority of replacements have nothing to do with rooting

Do we really know that to be true. It's difficult to say without having concrete numbers. More than likely, since the vast majority of users don't root their devices, the returns are much larger for non-rooted devices. Granted, there may have been a bad batch or two, but generally those issues show up pretty soon after purchase. Not 3, 4, 5, 6 months down the road.

I've had my Bionic since release date last September and outside of the occasional data drop issues, I haven't encountered anything that would cause me to return it.

bbucks36

Reaction score
As of now, no work around. Ive looked in other forums that have ICS with verizon. Pretty sure there will be.