[HOW-TO] Use Safestrap (backup and flash) (WIP)

acoers

Reaction score
sweet man sounds good. i was on ics last night and its pretty slick, once it gets all fixed i think ill switch over.

matthskim

Reaction score
Currently, I have installed Safestrap 1.08, with Stock Rom on Non-Safe mode and CM9/ICS Alpha #2 on Safe-mode. I am pleased with the CM9/ICS on Safe-mode. Therefore, I want to keep it for now on the safe mode.

Now, I am wondering if I can install another ROM (SD Rom) on the non-safe mode with the Safestrap 1.08 staying. Is this possible? If it is, can you let me know how?

Thank you.

lotzakritters

Reaction score
Currently, I have installed Safestrap 1.08, with Stock Rom on Non-Safe mode and CM9/ICS Alpha #2 on Safe-mode. I am pleased with the CM9/ICS on Safe-mode. Therefore, I want to keep it for now on the safe mode.

Now, I am wondering if I can install another ROM (SD Rom) on the non-safe mode with the Safestrap 1.08 staying. Is this possible? If it is, can you let me know how?

Thank you.

What I do, is keep it on safe-mode always. Flash my rom of choice and make sure it is working properly reboot and make a backup of that particular rom. I then use root explorer to find that safe-made backup and rename it to the rom it is, with date. Flash another Rom and do the same to them all. So I can go from rom to rom without having to start all over again. Works for me just perfectly.

Sent from my DROID3

matthskim

Reaction score
What I do, is keep it on safe-mode always. Flash my rom of choice and make sure it is working properly reboot and make a backup of that particular rom. I then use root explorer to find that safe-made backup and rename it to the rom it is, with date. Flash another Rom and do the same to them all. So I can go from rom to rom without having to start all over again. Works for me just perfectly.

Sent from my DROID3

Thanks. Definitely, what you are doing is a great way to enjoy different roms on the safe mode.

I am still wondering technically if there is a way to flash another rom and/or restore original stock rom (for OTA update later on) on the non-safe side.

I would appreciate your opinion.

lotzakritters

Reaction score
Thanks. Definitely, what you are doing is a great way to enjoy different roms on the safe mode.

I am still wondering technically if there is a way to flash another rom and/or restore original stock rom (for OTA update later on) on the non-safe side.

I would appreciate your opinion.

With the current Safestrap, not yet.

Sent from my DROID3

matthskim

Reaction score
With the current Safestrap, not yet.

Sent from my DROID3

Thanks.

Then, can you rename and restore the backup file in safestrap without any issue. I know even the tweaked bootstrap can not restore renamed backup file. It is only possible under ROM manager.

Do you just rename the folder where the files are? And have you tried these yourself?

Thanks.

lotzakritters

Reaction score
Do you just rename the folder where the files are? And have you tried these yourself?

Thanks.
I do all the time. Try it for yourself. I just try things out and if it doesn't work go back. Np

See, like this

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have the stock rom on non-safe mode, that is your backup. Did you not make a backup of the stock rom in non-safe mode?

Sent from my rooted, safestrapped, and ROM'd XT862

Geoffroy

Reaction score
Thank for the how-to, quite useful, and more explained than hashcode's one :)

Vyruz

Reaction score
How can i install a rom not onto unsafe system? I had to go back to stock to put alpha ics on my device and never put a stable rom on.

Last edited:
OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How can i install a rom not onto unsafe system? I had to go back to stock to put alpha ics on my device and never put a stable rom on.

I don't know if I understand your question.

Are you trying to flash a ROM in non-safe mode? Because you can't. You'd have to uninstall safestrap, install tweaked bootstrap then install the ROM then uninstall bootstrap and install safestrap.

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I've been bouncing from ROM to ROM and had trouble with MAV. So I was just about to put Hash's latest ICS on and play with it when I noticed that Safestrap isn't wiping completely. When it gets to formatting /sdcard/.android_secure, says "skipping format..." then says "Data wipe complete".

I just want to confirm that its not supposed to do that and see what I should do about that.

EDIT: the error is a mount failure on /sdcard/.android_secure.

Last edited:
OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is if you had installed any apps to the "media area" formerly called apps2sd.

If all of your apps are in your data area, and you didn't select them to be moved, you will always get this error.

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.