[HACKS] Safestrap Guide for Droid 4

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Install Safestrap

First you want to go to hashcode's site, and download SafeStrap 1.0 (version is 1.09 on install as of 02.28.12 for Droid 4).

1. Make sure "allow 3rd party apps" is checked so you can sideload SafeStrap
2. Find the apk in your download folder.
3. Install the SafeStrap app.
4. Open the app from your app drawer.
5. Allow root access.
6. Select 'Install Recovery.' This should take a moment; when it completes, 'Recovery State' should show 'Installed.'

Now, you are ready to reboot into recovery.

1. Power the phone off and power it on.
2. You will come to a splash screen that states, 'press menu for recovery access.' You have 10 seconds, otherwise the phone boots normally.
3. Once you press the menu softkey, it will boot into ClockworkMod Recovery
4. From the main CWR menu, select backup and restore from the menu using volume up and down and power button to select.
5. Select backup.

You now have created a backup in CWR of your stock+root!

Switch to safe mode and Flash a ROM

The rundown: Essentially, this 'strap separates your userdata (/data and /system) in non-safe mode (stock if you will), from the ROM you will flash in safe mode.

Steps to make a backup in non-safe mode and safe mode are the same, but they CAN NOT be restored interchangeably.

1. Reboot the phone (manually or via an app; ATM reboot to recovery is NOT supported.)
2. At splash screen press menu key. You are now in CWR.
3. Select backup and restore.
4. Select backup.
5. Should take about 1-3 minutes here. This backup is contained on your SDcard-ext (the physical card, unless you don't have one; I need verification that it works without an SD.
6. Done.

You'll notice in a file explorer, that the backups are separated in /sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup/non-safe-xxx-xxx and (once you make one) /sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup/safe-xxx-xxx as they cannot be flashed interchangeably.

To flash a ROM:
1. Make sure the ROM .zip file is on your SDcard
2. Reboot and access recovery as above.
3. Select Safe System
4. Turn on Safe System (this should take a few minutes as it is copying the userdata to an unused partition)
5. Power off and reboot into recovery (have not verified this is acutally necessary)
6. wipe data (in main menu)
7. wipe cache (in main menu)
8. Select mounts and storage
9. Format /system
10. Back to main menu
11. Select Advanced
12. Wipe Dalvik Cache
13. Main Menu
14. Install zip (your ROM) from SDcard
15. Reboot (should take a good while to boot, up to 5 minutes)

To restore your stock system:
1. Reboot into recovery.
2. select Safe System
3. Turn off Safe System
4. Reboot

At this time, the splash screen should show "Safe system: Disabled"

REMINDER:
The backups you create in Safestrap are not compatible with any other recovery.

Hints and tips:
If you are having trouble getting Safestrap to install, or trouble installing Recovery, open Superuser app and click update binary.
If you are having trouble getting Recovery installed, you may need to update BusyBox. You can do that with this app from the market.

Thanks to:
fishacura - For getting this started with the original guide for Bootstrapper!
hashcode
koush
ndoren
13th angel
clumsyninja21

93fuelslut

Reaction score
Install Safestrap

First you want to go to hashcode's site, and download SafeStrap 1.0 (version is 1.09 on install as of 02.28.12 for Droid 4).

1. Make sure "allow 3rd party apps" is checked so you can sideload SafeStrap
2. Find the apk in your download folder.
3. Install the SafeStrap app.
4. Open the app from your app drawer.
5. Allow root access.
6. Select 'Install Recovery.' This should take a moment; when it completes, 'Recovery State' should show 'Installed.'

Now, you are ready to reboot into recovery.

1. Power the phone off and power it on.
2. You will come to a splash screen that states, 'press menu for recovery access.' You have 10 seconds, otherwise the phone boots normally.
3. Once you press the menu softkey, it will boot into ClockworkMod Recovery
4. From the main CWR menu, select backup and restore from the menu using volume up and down and power button to select.
5. Select backup.

You now have created a backup in CWR of your stock+root!

Switch to safe mode and Flash a ROM

The rundown: Essentially, this 'strap separates your userdata (/data and /system) in non-safe mode (stock if you will), from the ROM you will flash in safe mode.

Steps to make a backup in non-safe mode and safe mode are the same, but they CAN NOT be restored interchangeably.

1. Reboot the phone (manually or via an app; ATM reboot to recovery is NOT supported.)
2. At splash screen press menu key. You are now in CWR.
3. Select backup and restore.
4. Select backup.
5. Should take about 1-3 minutes here. This backup is contained on your SDcard-ext (the physical card, unless you don't have one; I need verification that it works without an SD.
6. Done.

You'll notice in a file explorer, that the backups are separated in /sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup/non-safe-xxx-xxx and (once you make one) /sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup/safe-xxx-xxx as they cannot be flashed interchangeably.

To flash a ROM:
1. Make sure the ROM .zip file is on your SDcard
2. Reboot and access recovery as above.
3. Select Safe System
4. Turn on Safe System (this should take a few minutes as it is copying the userdata to an unused partition)
5. Power off and reboot into recovery (have not verified this is acutally necessary)
6. wipe data (in main menu)
7. wipe cache (in main menu)
8. Select mounts and storage
9. Format /system
10. Back to main menu
11. Select Advanced
12. Wipe Dalvik Cache
13. Main Menu
14. Install zip (your ROM) from SDcard
15. Reboot (should take a good while to boot, up to 5 minutes)

To restore your stock system:
1. Reboot into recovery.
2. select Safe System
3. Turn off Safe System
4. Reboot

At this time, the splash screen should show "Safe system: Disabled"

REMINDER:
The backups you create in Safestrap are not compatible with any other recovery.

Hints and tips:
If you are having trouble getting Safestrap to install, or trouble installing Recovery, open Superuser app and click update binary.
If you are having trouble getting Recovery installed, you may need to update BusyBox. You can do that with this app from the market.

Thanks to:
fishacura - For getting this started with the original guide for Bootstrapper!
hashcode
koush
ndoren
13th angel
clumsyninja21
those underlined steps are the same...am i right?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What "underlined" steps are you talking about?

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

vladimirtm

Reaction score
i nee help im stuck at bootloader its says device is locked,help please

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Without an fxz/sbf you are not going to be able to do anything.

vladimirtm

Reaction score
i try this but dont work Try booting it holding the vol up and down buttons to get to the boot menu and selecting the last option "BP Tools" and it should boot up and allow the phone to charge normally

ikari

Reaction score
To clarify:
1. SafeStrap makes a backup of /data and /system
2. /data is my user data, like apps and their preferences and stuff
3. /system is mainly the ROM i flash
4. with SafeStrap I can have separate ROMS with separate apps, and will not lose data (except the new ROM will be clean)

are these correct?
(is there a way to make the 'safe' ROM a copy of my stock ROM with its data?)

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Reboot your phone and press the menu key when you see the safestrap screen. From there you can try flashing aokp again or restore a backup.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

tutorialbs

Reaction score
Which version of SafeStrap should I be using? for Droid 4?
I installed "Droid4Safestrap-1.09.apk" but it gives an immediate error message when running it, about hash code or something.

I did upgrade from stock 6.13.215 to 6.13.219, could that be it?

Also, I'm confused about "RAZRSafestrap-ICS-2.00.apk" found here: Safestrap v2.0 for ICS-LEAK RAZRs « Hash-of-Codes
Is this only for the RAZR, or also for Droid 4?
thanks

edit: nm, it works with 1.09 just fine. I thought SafeStrap would get control of the root dir just by running it, but it doesn't, so I did this easily with Android Forums/Dan R exploit. Only downside is to "unlock all features" they want you to pay.

tutorialbs

Reaction score
Now I have a new problem. I created my 1st non-safe and safe backups with Webtop included, then I found out I didn't want that, so I made 2 new non-safe & safe backups, without Webtop.

Can I safely delete the 2 webtop backups from my phone and SD? I copied all 4 backups to my computer's HD, just in case.

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
tutorialbs said:
Now I have a new problem. I created my 1st non-safe and safe backups with Webtop included, then I found out I didn't want that, so I made 2 new non-safe & safe backups, without Webtop.

Can I safely delete the 2 webtop backups from my phone and SD? I copied all 4 backups to my computer's HD, just in case.

...I don't see why u can't, I mean if the first two backups isn't what u want, u can just delete them, just be sure its the ones u don't need...

Sent from my rooted DROID4

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
Okay, safestrap is a trip. I downloaded the v1.09 of the safestrap, right? Installed recovery like it stated. Turned power off and back on, when the splash screen pop up, I went to press menu like I was suppose to...nada! I just go into a bootloop..any ideas why?

Sent from my rooted DROID4