[HOW-TO] Use Safestrap (backup and flash) (WIP)

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to reiterate; safe and non-safe are 2 different things. No data 'flows' between them in any fashion.

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

matthskim

Reaction score
Oh, I see.

I thought that the apps/data would flow through between the two systems based on following remarks on Hashcodes' blog:

1. Many enhancements to Safestrap Recovery including:
    • Caching of userdata between the safe and non-safe systems -- This does take some time. I know it's not instant like it was before. But many users were experiencing hung starts, etc. And now you don't need to constantly backup/restore between swaps.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is only when moving from non-safe (ie moving userdata to /emmc) and back to non-safe (ie replacing from /emmc to /system and /data).

svickstc

Reaction score
I created a backup in non safe mode of my SD3 and when i toggle to safe mode to flash a new, i go to reboot and it just hangs at a black screen after the safestrap menu goes away

i have to pull the battery and toggle back to non safe mode for it to boot back up?

jamauney

Reaction score
I'm having trouble flashing a ROM. I've tried multiple placing multiple .zip files on the internal storage, but none of them show up in the "install zip from sdcard" menu on Safestrap. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I created a backup in non safe mode of my SD3 and when i toggle to safe mode to flash a new, i go to reboot and it just hangs at a black screen after the safestrap menu goes away

i have to pull the battery and toggle back to non safe mode for it to boot back up?

So you can make a backup, then you reboot from recovery, press menu at splashscreen and it doesn't take? What about booting all the way into the OS then reboot, change to safe, reboot, recovery...?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble flashing a ROM. I've tried multiple placing multiple .zip files on the internal storage, but none of them show up in the "install zip from sdcard" menu on Safestrap. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm going to reboot now to see what options I have. I'll let you know.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

How are you downloading the ROMS? Are you using a pc the transferring to the card? Are they named romname.zip.zip by chance?

Safestrap gives you the option of internal or external card so they are there somewhere.

jamauney

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm downloading them onto my pc and then transferring to the phone... They aren't named .zip.zip - should they be?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No that's a common mistake though. You have file extensions visible in your OS though?

Do you see anything listed filewise when you go to select a rom to flash?

jamauney

Reaction score
Yeah, there are other files listed, just neither of the .zip files that I transferred...

svickstc

Reaction score
The setup of my phone is:

SD v3.0
Synergy Alpha 3 theme
ADW Launcher

I was using Bootstrap to flash roms previously, but with the new roms utilizing hashcodes safestrap, I uninstalled boostrap following your threads instructions and installed safestrap.

I Created a backup once on safestrap since bootstrap backups are not compatiable. I then go to goggle safe on and it does its thing, i try to flash a theme or just reboot into os, and it just hangs on a black screen after initial moto logo

I toggle safe off it does it thing and reboots just fine?

I would like to be able to utilize safestrap for future roms, I am just not sure where i am getting hung up at?

acoers

Reaction score
Im just trying to to a backup. I get to the screen that says hit menu and i hit it but it just goes into bootloop. I had the bootstrap before so idk why this isnt working.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there are other files listed, just neither of the .zip files that I transferred...

I would try downloading directly to the phone. Then move them to root of the sdcard and see if you can see them there.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The setup of my phone is:

SD v3.0
Synergy Alpha 3 theme
ADW Launcher

I was using Bootstrap to flash roms previously, but with the new roms utilizing hashcodes safestrap, I uninstalled boostrap following your threads instructions and installed safestrap.

I Created a backup once on safestrap since bootstrap backups are not compatiable. I then go to goggle safe on and it does its thing, i try to flash a theme or just reboot into os, and it just hangs on a black screen after initial moto logo

I toggle safe off it does it thing and reboots just fine?

I would like to be able to utilize safestrap for future roms, I am just not sure where i am getting hung up at?

I believe that once you are in safe mode, you need to flash an OS. Once it moves the userdata, there is nothing there to boot off of.