[HOW-TO] Use Safestrap (backup and flash) (WIP)

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im just trying to to a backup. I get to the screen that says hit menu and i hit it but it just goes into bootloop. I had the bootstrap before so idk why this isnt working.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Ok I just asked you this in the other thread. Did you remove the bootstrap using my method here?

matthskim

Reaction score
This process has been working fine with me. Thanks for your support.

Now, i am curious as to what effect there would be if i installed ROM manager and run it. I have not installed it because i do not really need it. Again, i am just curious.

Thanks.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This process has been working fine with me. Thanks for your support.

Now, i am curious as to what effect there would be if i installed ROM manager and run it. I have not installed it because i do not really need it. Again, i am just curious.

Thanks.

ROM Manager will be able to download the ROMs but you cannot reboot recovery from there. Hashcode hasn't built the files necessary to do that yet.

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

svickstc

Reaction score
I believe that once you are in safe mode, you need to flash an OS. Once it moves the userdata, there is nothing there to boot off of.

Ahh this could be the issue, see i was just trying to have safestrap ready for me to install one of the new roms that are utilizing it. However, all my previous roms and themes were flashed via bootstrap.

Ill confirm this later

edit: I tried flashing SD3.0 after toggling to safe mode and it still would not boot?

I uninstalled safestrap to reinstall bootsrap, but now bootstrap recovery wont mount sd card? (Does this have something to do with the the logwrapper.bin? do i have to rename that .bin?)

I think im going to SBF, root, then try? Really dont want to sbf though

Last edited:

svickstc

Reaction score
Update:

Through your help I was able to troubleshoot my noob issues with safestrap..

You were correct about when you toggle to safe you need to flash an rom for the first time to be able to boot into it. However i was trying to use the nonsafestrap version and didnt realize chevycam released a safestrap specific version.

I went back to bootstrap, and then when i saw this i tried it out and it worked...

Now i am not sure what to do stay with safestrap, or go back to bootstrap? It seems like devs are appeasing to both

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Update:

Through your help I was able to troubleshoot my noob issues with safestrap..

You were correct about when you toggle to safe you need to flash an rom for the first time to be able to boot into it. However i was trying to use the nonsafestrap version and didnt realize chevycam released a safestrap specific version.

I went back to bootstrap, and then when i saw this i tried it out and it worked...

Now i am not sure what to do stay with safestrap, or go back to bootstrap? It seems like devs are appeasing to both

Completely up to you. I feel that safestrap is better in that it modifies the startup in order to allow the splashscreen. This way in a bootloop or the like you can easily get into recovery without doing the power+m bptools method.

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Nice work guidot. I actually understand it now lol. Now where is my damn phone. Nonsafe always stores the original stock rooted backup? To, if needed, go back to it turn off safe and restore in nonsafe with blah cwr leaving the safe mode option for rom flashing crack action. ;) ah hell I know where to find you once my phone shows up.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

nikolio

Reaction score
Ok. I really wanna jump on board safestrap. Im trying to understand and I've flashed dark droid using safestrap. Im in safe mode til I wanna go back. Just a couple questions. If I wanna flash another rom do I go back to my unsafe backup first or just flash another one staying in safe mode? Also I have rom manager installed still and my backups are in a folder titled clokworkmod. Should I uninstall rom manager? Im so used to seeing it. Bootstrap is not installed at all anymore.

cvhovey

Reaction score
I'm finding this confusing. Been rooting and flashing two years now and CWR made sense (at least, to me). But Safestrap is gray-of-grays in my foggy brain. For example, I just did a non-safe backup as suggested, in case things went bad. Assumed I was supposed to go back to safe mode after the non-safe backup. But when I did, lost all the TiBu restores I'd done just recently ... and every action froze after successfully rebooting. Hashcode indicates I should have picked up right where I was at upon reboot after the non-safe backup. Maybe I should have been in non-safe mode rather then returning to safe mode before reboot? Hopefully there will be clearer step-by-step at some point, i.e. if everything crashed and needed to restore non-safe backup, would that be done from safe mode or non-safe mode ... and things like that. Get me a dunce cap, sit me in the corner, and make me write "I am not bright enough to figure out Safestrap" a thousand times, huh? ;)

Last edited:
OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm finding this confusing. Been rooting and flashing two years now and CWR made sense (at least, to me). But Safestrap is gray-of-grays in my foggy brain. For example, I just did a non-safe backup as suggested, in case things went bad. Assumed I was supposed to go back to safe mode after the non-safe backup. But when I did, lost all the TiBu restores I'd done just recently ... and every action froze after successfully rebooting. Hashcode indicates I should have picked up right where I was at upon reboot after the non-safe backup. Maybe I should have been in non-safe mode rather then returning to safe mode before reboot? Hopefully there will be clearer step-by-step at some point, i.e. if everything crashed and needed to restore non-safe backup, would that be done from safe mode or non-safe mode ... and things like that. Get me a dunce cap, sit me in the corner, and make me write "I am not bright enough to figure out Safestrap" a thousand times, huh? ;)

I would agree that it is a new concept for sure.

Just remember these few things:

1. Non-safe mode is for your stock setup (stock+root)
2. When you move to safe mode, you MUST flash a ROM. There is no data in /system or /data once you switch.
3. You cannot restore a backup from a safe to a non safe and visa versa.

This essentially prevents you from having to flash fastboot files. If something goes wrong, menu key into recovery and go back to non-safe mode.

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
also dont feel stupid or dumb if it takes a few minutes to understand all this. lol i'm still trying to figure it all out. i do notice i completely missed a step, where it says MUST flash a rom lol i really like the "stock" rom still i found a deodexed version of it but its for bootstrap and wont work with safestrap. time for AOSP 2.3.* ? i havent started building for our phones yet because i'm still trying to figure out safestrap myself. damn you new phone that i love. :)

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok. I really wanna jump on board safestrap. Im trying to understand and I've flashed dark droid using safestrap. Im in safe mode til I wanna go back. Just a couple questions. If I wanna flash another rom do I go back to my unsafe backup first or just flash another one staying in safe mode? Also I have rom manager installed still and my backups are in a folder titled clokworkmod. Should I uninstall rom manager? Im so used to seeing it. Bootstrap is not installed at all anymore.

You can keep those backups, but they won't necessarily work with safestrap. Hashcode says they will work, but I'm too much of a wuss to try! ;)

If you want to go to another ROM, reboot to recovery, make a backup of the ROM you are on (that is up to you, you can always go all the way back to non-safe backup too), wipe /system /data and /cache and flash the new ROM in safe mode. Done!

cvhovey

Reaction score
I've got a strange situation. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

After rooting, I first looked at Droid3Bootstrap (while trying to make sense of Safestrap). Don't remember where I downloaded it (DF, RW or xda?), but I had a copy of Droid3Bootstrap.apk on hand. After doing the bootstrap recovery bit, then reboot recovery ... it didn't go to recovery, just sat there with a blank screen for some long time. So pulled battery, booted, and tried again. This time it rebooted ... SURPRISED to see I now was running "MonsterROM". Huh? No, I did NOT download it nor had I even looked at it. I recall having seen someone mention it but never even checked it out. After that I decided to ditch that Droid3Bootstrap and give Safestrap another shot.

So here's the essence of the issue. Since MonsterROM somehow got installed behind my back, when I do the recommended non-safe backup for disaster protection, I no longer have a "stock" setup. The non-safe backup is MonsterROM ... grrr.

How then do I get stock back in order to make a clean stock system back-up in non-safe mode? Of course there is SBF, but is there any other way short of that such as a stock rooted system I can flash in Droid3Bootstrap (from the Market, not the one I had used) ... then return to Safestrap to back it up in non-safe mode? According to Hashcode, the "MotoBlur 5.7.894 Stock w/ Root + Superuser.apk" on his site is intended only for safe mode, so that's not an option (for doing a non-safe disaster recovery backup).

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Hashcode did make a flashable non-safe stock+root available.

I'll have to have a look.

cvhovey

Reaction score
I think Hashcode did make a flashable non-safe stock+root available.
Hmm, Hashcode didn't mention a non-safe alternative when clarifying that the "MotoBlur 5.7.894 Stock w/ Root + Superuser.apk" is for safe mode only. Looks like SBFville for me. This would at least give me a clean system, since my D3 now occasionally goes SOD (Sleep of Death) so don't know what that back-door ROM flash might have done to my system.

Last edited: