[HOW-TO] Use Safestrap (backup and flash) (WIP)

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You aren't in safestrap if you are clicking anything.

You need to leave the zip file intact where you can find it and install it through the safestrap recovery screen on reboot.

jb_alphamale

Reaction score
Brilliant. I fully understand how it works now. Created 2 backups in non-safe and safe mod and tested them (recovered ROMs). One stock and one custom. Worked flawlessly.
Thank you very much guidot. You the man.:icon_ lala:

FerretWithASpork

Reaction score
I can't get it D: I did everything you said in the guide, I'm using the '2012-03-16 [Beta 2012-03-16]' zip file from hash-of-codes plus the 'gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip' right after and it just bootloops.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried just the rom?

See if that boots and we'll go from there.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Ahhhh 3-16 beta? Why so old? That rom is Prolly so broken .... try the newest nighties of the d3 aokp or cm9 or the gummy roms.

Oh ya try the 0317 gasps also I've had crappy luck with the 429

Last edited:

FerretWithASpork

Reaction score
I downloaded the nightly from yesterday and tried that, same thing, bootloop. With and without the GAPPS zip as well.

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you wiping everything?

How long are you letting it boot?

After wipe system, cache, data and dalvik, first boot can take upwards of five minutes.

FerretWithASpork

Reaction score
I left it sitting for more than 5 minutes and it just reboots itself constantly.

I followed your guide exactly. Activated Safe System, reboot, Wiped data, Wiped Cache, formatted /system, wipe Dalvik, install from Zip. It reboots, gets to the "hit menu for recovery" I let it sit and the screen goes black, but the screen is still on. Then the screen turns off and it reboots. I've left it sitting like that for 5 minutes and it just keeps looping through reboots.

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
First off you can't flash those nightlies with out gapps, again try the 0317's.

Now ... just to get things straight. Your sure your in SAFE mode.

Maybe for needed purposes go back to non-safe, and see if it even boots. If so, uninstall recovery and reboot then try again.

Install recovery with safestrap
Boot into cmw
Enable safe mode ... making sure it backs up everything
Wipe wipe wipe wipe wipe.. seriously do it 5 times each dalvik too
Flash rom
Flash gapps
Reboot
Cross fingers
Wait for it

Let's try also not flashing the ICS roms, and start with a GB rom...

My eclipse port (try the 1.1 oc'd version)
Or any of the others

We'll get that to work ... them we can move on to an experimental rom

Ok?

FerretWithASpork

Reaction score
Im definitely in safe mode. when I turn off safe mod I go back to my stock settings. Ill givea different gb rom a try when I get home from work tonight or tomorrow.

tazwing

Reaction score
I have a question about Safestrap. I am trying to use safetrap for the first time. I was running kin3tx v1.0 on .894 as a straight out rom. I have recently discovered safestrap and wanted to try that (got tired of waiting for an OTA to ICS from Motorolla) so I've been working to get my phone back to stock. After accomplishing that I updated it to .905. I was following these instructions .902 Root Method (complete) + Safestrap. Features Th3ory Axi0m ROM.
Since I was already at .905 I started with instruction 3 and got root. Downloaded the Rom I wanted and went on to Fifth instruction of installing safestrap. I installed safestrap according to the instructions from guidot made backups and life was looking good but when I switched over to the safe side my phone stayed at .894. So my problem is that my non-safe stock-rooted bionic is now .905 and my safe side is at .894. I have not flashed a rom to the safe side yet but my question is. I keep seeing these roms say you need to be on .902 or .905 or you will brick dose that mean .902 on the safe side or the non-safe side since the two really don't talk to each other I am assuming it has to be on the safe side? If so then dose anybody have a sugestion as to how I can get my safe side up to .902. Or am I just being a noob and can flash the rom after wiping everything. I have looked over the forums and can not find any way to accomplish this.

Thanks
Any and all help appreciated!!!

wrxman17

Reaction score
hi so i know you say not to flash over your stock rom, but can you do it? I know it isn't safe but will it actually mess anything up if i do it?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hi so i know you say not to flash over your stock rom, but can you do it? I know it isn't safe but will it actually mess anything up if i do it?

Once you switch to safe more there is nothing there so you wouldn't be flashing over stock anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DKDroid3

Reaction score
Safestrap foreclosing on new Droid3

I was using safestrap-1.0 apk on my Droid3 all was working well, then sunday phone froze had to pull battery and would not boot past the duo core flash screen. After a lengthy discussion with tech support Verizon sent me a refurbished Droid3.

New phone, I install Safestrap and it forecloses. I have tried both safestrap-1.0 & Safestrap-2.00, both foreclose immediately. Any help appreciated! Android version is 2.3.4 system ver. 5.7.906.xt862. I would like to root, did they do something to block this app from working???

Thanks!