How to get the REAL Circles widget on OG RAZR

avenged61973

Reaction score
OK because it worked just fine until I moved stuff around. How do I go about reinstalling it?

You will have to delete the circle widget files and reinstall from the zip you originally downloaded.

yaterml

Reaction score
Not that everyone here didn't try to answer my question, and I certainly don't want to make more of this than necessary...but I still don't know what to change to make them "system" apps. I also don't know what the actual file names are and where they are that they need to be copied from, and I'm assuming they need to be copied to \system.

The ones I am running were simply installed as apps, like was in the instructions included with the zip file. The zip file contained the launcher, circles, weather, and another app - I think it was a settings app for one of the other three.

For the record, I am not using TIBU, though I have several root explorers and they all can change file permissions.

Could someone simply tell me (and others) to;

1) move filename.apk from foldername to foldername (i.e. \data\system)
2) rename filename.apk to newfilename.apk
3) change permissions from rwxrwxrwx (or whatever they are), to rw.r..r.. (or whatever they need to be)

Any help in this manner would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

1. Go to system>app and rename the following file:

Weather.apk to Weather.bak

com.motorola.homescreen.apk to homescreen.back

2. Download and install:

Launcher for Razr M (com.motorola.homescreen.apk)
Weather for Razr M (weather.apk)

- Copy launcher to system/app
- Set permission to RW-R-R
- Tap on each of the Apks to install them from the system/app folder with this these permissions so they write the setting to the file.
Contrary to popular belief you don't need to install Circles as a system app and will actually cause a system lag.
I also recommend you install notifications.apk for Razr M as well is will display a count of missed or unread messages on the system tray icon.

yaterml

Reaction score
You will have to delete the circle widget files and reinstall from the zip you originally downloaded.

Don't move circles to system app folder... It causes some errors and a lot of lag.

This is why I recommend Titanium Backup don't need the license to use move to system app feature at least you didn't used to need it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, so I am downloading TIBU now. In the mean time, I went to System/App and I don't have a Weather.apk or com.motorola.homescreen.apk (see screen shots from Root Browser below).

emezuzuq.jpg

gagaba6a.jpg

I also have a homescreen.apk in System/app, but it's the newly installed version and I didn't move it there...that's where it put itself (see below).

yte5eby4.jpg

I am having difficulty finding the apps installed and also the system versions. I have BOTH homescreens and can switch between them. I am also given the option to choose a default, and if I am running the M homescreen and hit the GPS off, it crashes. Once crashed, if I hit the home button I'm given the default options again.

I just installed TIBU but can't see how to get into the file manager option.

yaterml

Reaction score
OK, so I am downloading TIBU now. In the mean time, I went to System/App and I don't have a Weather.apk or com.motorola.homescreen.apk (see screen shots from Root Browser below).

I also have a homescreen.apk in System/app, but it's the newly installed version and I didn't move it there...that's where it put itself (see below).

I am having difficulty finding the apps installed and also the system versions. I have BOTH homescreens and can switch between them. I am also given the option to choose a default, and if I am running the M homescreen and hit the GPS off, it crashes. Once crashed, if I hit the home button I'm given the default options again.

Let me grab root explorer fox I use es file explore.

Check your regular app folder I assume that you will have one homescreen in that folder.

yaterml

Reaction score
I am going to assume since it keeps crashing on GPS toggle you still have it as a user app not a system app. Weather should be in that folder as well. If you installed it as a regular apk it puts those in the regular app folder not sure system apps.

avenged61973

Reaction score

When you open up titanium backup and it finishes loading the apps, goto backup/restore. It's at the top of the screen. Scroll down to homescreen 1.1.0.568 build 294. Long press it and select convert to system app and your done!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I am going to assume since it keeps crashing on GPS toggle you still have it as a user app not a system app. Weather should be in that folder as well. If you installed it as a regular apk it puts those in the regular app folder not sure system apps.

No doubt, but I can't explain how the Homescreen.apk (the M version) got into the System/App folder or how it got System Permissions. It is both rw.r..r.. and 0 Root, yet it still acts like it's installed as a non-system app.

yaterml

Reaction score
When you open up titanium backup and it finishes loading the apps, goto backup/restore. It's at the top of the screen. Scroll down to homescreen 1.1.0.568 build 294. Long press it and select convert to system app and your done!

Before hand go to batch operations and backup all user apps and system data

Then see above
Then remove old homescreen

yaterml

Reaction score
No doubt, but I can't explain how the Homescreen.apk (the M version) got into the System/App folder or how it got System Permissions. It is both rw.r..r.. and 0 Root, yet it still acts like it's installed as a non-system app.

Did you do a reinstall as with those settings? If you install the an apk then move it the system still sees it as an user app not until you write to the system with those permissions does it change to a system app.

yaterml

Reaction score
Did you do a reinstall as with those settings? If you install the an apk then move it the system still sees it as an user app not until you write to the system with those permissions does it change to a system app.

Okay not important let's get you fixed up then we can figure out what happen.
Run a batch backup
Then long press to turn homescreen to a system apl
Then remove old home screen
Then we can run through the "how did this happen?"

Krenzy

Reaction score
Yeah now I'm lost lol. I'll wait for the step by step guide ;)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hehe...yeah. I'm not sure we'll ever figure out "how this happened", but what I do know is when installing those apps, it said that they were system apps and asked me if I wanted to proceed. I said yes, so apparently it at least tried to replace the system versions. What I don't understand is how I can still have the old system version of Homescreen and yet can't find it in either Data/App or System/App.

I am running backup now.

Edit; By the way, here's what is in the Data/App folder for Homescreen and CirclesWidget...
6u8y5ere.jpg

It's actually quite strange in fact...all the apps in that folder have either a "-1" or a "-2" after them in the name as shown above.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model