How to get the REAL Circles widget on OG RAZR

hobby31

Reaction score
The thread is for any of the Cyantogen Mods or other customs roms and doesnt specify JB and as for Atrix HD I don't really go outside of The Razr Realm unless I am summoned, but it would have saved me some serious work, thank you. I'm not saying I came am up with everything only that I put 2 and 2 together, but that doesnt matter its about improving the environment and building the community. The community just needs to look before they post a thousands times first. I searched up and down to find something to work didn't so I worked my own. Enjoy. I hope JB OTA for realz fixes this.

No, no, sorry. I didn't even see your post before I posted. I was responding to the post asking to be more elaborate and I didn't really have time to type it up. Your post on using titanium is the way to go. Lot easier than using root explorer. As far as the post goes, that worked on stock, rooted ICS for me. Except I was using root explorer to manually copy them over to the /system/app folder, change permissions on them and then rebooting. Your way of using titanium
Backup is a lot easier. I've been using titanium backup since the OG Droid and never knew it did that...thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

yaterml

Reaction score
No, no, sorry. I didn't even see your post before I posted. I was responding to the post asking to be more elaborate and I didn't really have time to type it up. Your post on using titanium is the way to go. Lot easier than using root explorer. As far as the post goes, that worked on stock, rooted ICS for me. Except I was using root explorer to manually copy them over to the /system/app folder, change permissions on them and then rebooting. Your way of using titanium
Backup is a lot easier. I've been using titanium backup since the OG Droid and never knew it did that...thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No big that's actually a "newer" feature it was in Root Toolbox first I do believe. That's one of the issues if you don't quote who your responding to. I have so many dang conversations going on and especially about Circles I get myself confused and have to reread the thread so I don't post the same thing twice.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not that everyone here didn't try to answer my question, and I certainly don't want to make more of this than necessary...but I still don't know what to change to make them "system" apps. I also don't know what the actual file names are and where they are that they need to be copied from, and I'm assuming they need to be copied to \system.

The ones I am running were simply installed as apps, like was in the instructions included with the zip file. The zip file contained the launcher, circles, weather, and another app - I think it was a settings app for one of the other three.

For the record, I am not using TIBU, though I have several root explorers and they all can change file permissions.

Could someone simply tell me (and others) to;

1) move filename.apk from foldername to foldername (i.e. \data\system)
2) rename filename.apk to newfilename.apk
3) change permissions from rwxrwxrwx (or whatever they are), to rw.r..r.. (or whatever they need to be)

Any help in this manner would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
All you need to do is move the apk from /data/app (or wherever it is) to system/app (not data/system just system/app) and make sure the permissions and owners match and reboot. Did this a lot on my old X2. Once its in /system/app and all the permissions and owners match the files around it it will be a system app. :) I use root explorer btw.

As for permissions, all my system apps are rw-r--r-- and the owners are both set to 0-root. Make sure to click the Mount R/W button at the top of root explorer to change it to Mount R/O before you try to make the changes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

avenged61973

Reaction score
All you need to do is move the apk from /data/app (or wherever it is) to system/app (not data/system just system/app) and make sure the permissions and owners match and reboot. Did this a lot on my old X2. Once its in /system/app and all the permissions and owners match the files around it it will be a system app. :) I use root explorer btw.

As for permissions, all my system apps are rw-r--r-- and the owners are both set to 0-root. Make sure to click the Mount R/W button at the top of root explorer to change it to Mount R/O before you try to make the changes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Go cliff is spot on! The file is com. Motorola. Homescreen. Apk

Krenzy

Reaction score
I followed the steps and now my GPS button doesn't force.close my home screen, so that's fixed! But now I can't get my circles widget on the screen; it says it's not supported on third party yada yada. Should I have moved the circles apk to system apps, too?

avenged61973

Reaction score
I followed the steps and now my GPS button doesn't force.close my home screen, so that's fixed! But now I can't get my circles widget on the screen; it says it's not supported on third party yada yada. Should I have moved the circles apk to system apps, too?

Did you reboot after you switched the files?

Krenzy

Reaction score
Yes I did. But in my data/apps home screen.apk and circles widget.APM were two separate files.

avenged61973

Reaction score
Yes I did. But in my data/apps home screen.apk and circles widget.APM were two separate files.

I changed my circles to a system file, but it's kind of odd it doesn't work because mine worked both ways. Are You able to add other widgets to your home screen?

Krenzy

Reaction score
Yeah, but I didn't change my circles to a system file, as I only saw posted to change the home screen one. I'll go move the circles widget to system.

Krenzy

Reaction score
Alright the homescreen, circles, and blur-weather apks all got moved to system/apps, but I'm still getting the same error.

avenged61973

Reaction score
Alright the homescreen, circles, and blur-weather apks all got moved to system/apps, but I'm still getting the same error.

You might want to try reinstalling the circle widget and see if that works. I'm honestly not sure why that's happening.

Krenzy

Reaction score
OK because it worked just fine until I moved stuff around. How do I go about reinstalling it?