How to get the REAL Circles widget on OG RAZR

bosshog85

Reaction score
Hey everyone I came across this during my search on getting the circles widget found on the RAZR M and HD onto my OG RAZR. It is a download link to get the widget, but the widget will only work when you're using the RAZR M home, not ANY other home application. So what you need to do is download the .zip file and put the .apks onto your phone. You'll need every .apk except the home screen settings apk. The M home app isn't 100% useable, I found that the "Quick settings" screen when you go to the left of the homescreen force closes the home app every time I try to toggle a setting on/off so I don't know if it would happen to everyone. But, here's the link and have some fun, enjoy :) Below is my homescreen on my RAZR with the clock on it.

Droid Razr M Launcher (Include Clock Widget) Android Apk App - Free Android Apps | Free Android Apps 730656_430286287042955_1510628659_n.jpg

OP
bosshog85

bosshog85

Reaction score
Correction, every toggle but the GPS toggle works on the quick settings screen.

avenged61973

Reaction score
If you change the launcher to a system app the gps toggle doesn't force close. Plus it runs a lot smoother.

yaterml

Reaction score
This has been covered before. Install the launcher, circles and weather make them system apps. The launcher will run super fast and all the toggles work.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This has been covered before. Install the launcher, circles and weather make them system apps. The launcher will run super fast and all the toggles work.

For the benefit of the other members (me included), could you elaborate? I have the same issues with the launcher and am not aware of the solution you referred to. Where do we find the files (i.e. names and locations on the phone)? What changes are made to the permissions to make them system files? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
Definitely supporting a guideline on how to make something run as a system app..

avenged61973

Reaction score
I used titanium backup to change mine. Go into backup and restore find home screen that you downloaded, long press it and one of the options is to convert to system app. It does its little thing, and then I reboot. It was as easy as that for me. I might not completely sure how to change it otherwise. But you have to be rooted for my method.

hobby31

Reaction score
If your rooted, you just copy the apk's into the /system/app folder (i use root explorer to do this). Make sure you backup you original homescreen apk and other apps that might get overwritten. There's no fastboot files to at this point to reinstall the system again so if you don't backup the original you might be stuck not being able to upgrade once the "real" jeally bean comes out. Change permissions to match other apks in the system folder, then reboot. That should make them system files.

yaterml

Reaction score
For the benefit of the other members (me included), could you elaborate? I have the same issues with the launcher and am not aware of the solution you referred to. Where do we find the files (i.e. names and locations on the phone)? What changes are made to the permissions to make them system files? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Long story, but it all started Christmas Day
I had received the magic Christmas Eve Jelly Bean Update just as so many others did. I was thoroughly upset that I didn't get the long awaited Circles Widget, but luckily for me, my wife has a Motorola Photon Q from Sprint. So I hi-jacked her phone and emailed me the Circles Widget and Weather apps. I pulled them with Titanium Back Up and sent them to my phone. After a nice Christmas Day Dinner with my in-laws I installed the backups via Titanium Backup. After rebooting my phone I added the widget to my home screen I had to restart my phone one more time. When it loaded it said Optimizing apps then dropped the not supported on third party launcher. Okay new goal find a Motorola OEM Launcher that would work with the Razr and Jelly Bean not going to try the Photon's Launcher for my Razr. I knew the Razr M was running both JB and Circles so I searched the internet for a Razr M system dump. Found one waited patently for it to download. Looked through the System Apps folder looking for Apps that had updated versions over the Razr Maxx found: the launcher, circles, weather, email, camera, email, messaging, notifications, and a couple others. I backed up all system and user apps and data with Titanium Backup. I installed the launcher which worked flawlessly. Then tried Circles got a, "package already installed with a different signature." So I went in and removed all traces of the Photon Q Circles Widget. Then Installed the Razr M Circles Widget, Weather, Notifications (Nice if you didn't install it I recommend it. It lists the unread message number over the Motorola/Android base apps.) Started playing around to make sure that the apps were functioning properly. When I came to the swipe quick settings I noticed that the GPS toggle wasn't working. From memory of the whole Power Controls fiasco that because Google change their permissions that non-system apps couldn't toggle the GPS. I quickly used Titanium Back Up long press to change to system app and after restating the Launcher I was shocked at how fast it was in addition to allowing it to toggle the GPS. I made sure everything else was working. I hoped on here, XDA, Android Central, etc and found the oldest posts asking about Circles and wrote the details about what you needed and how to get everthing working. I was going to start a in depth walkthrough but I wont post the files on here. Before I got a chance to make it, its own forum with an in depth walkthrough and about 10 people claimed to be the finder of this about a week after I had. but thats not my issue I think its about whatever is best for the Android Environment. Its no one actually looking for the way to do thing instead the keep posting asking how to do it. My process was trial and error and just general trouble shooting. If it hadn't been for the Power Control's issues from about 9 months ago I wouldn't have done the research to fix it, And coming across that it made it faster was accidental. I just had to play with a few permissions to optimize the experience. Its nothing special just like the NFL Mobile HDMI work around. I'm here to help.

hobby31

Reaction score
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1897306

This is a thread describing how to do this with the Droid M widgets from back in sept. There was also a thread before this describing how to do this with the Motorola Atrix widgets but it's homescreen doesn't have the quick settings on the left.

The one thing I didn't know was using titanium backup to make them system apps. That's a lot easier than copying them over with root explorer. Thank you for that..worked perfectly.

yaterml

Reaction score
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1897306

This is a thread describing how to do this with the Droid M widgets from back in sept. There was also a thread before this describing how to do this with the Motorola Atrix widgets but it's homescreen doesn't have the quick settings on the left.

The one thing I didn't know was using titanium backup to make them system apps. That's a lot easier than copying them over with root explorer. Thank you for that..worked perfectly.

The thread is for any of the Cyantogen Mods or other customs roms and doesnt specify JB and as for Atrix HD I don't really go outside of The Razr Realm unless I am summoned, but it would have saved me some serious work, thank you. I'm not saying I came am up with everything only that I put 2 and 2 together, but that doesnt matter its about improving the environment and building the community. The community just needs to look before they post a thousands times first. I searched up and down to find something to work didn't so I worked my own. Enjoy. I hope JB OTA for realz fixes this.