Google Nexus D Prototype Mock-Up Gets the Imagination Juices Flowing

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-nexus-d-mockup.jpeg

One of the best things about technology is that it is constantly evolving. Just when you thought things were starting to get stagnant, something new comes along to tickle your imagination. Here's a great example. First, let me make it clear that the above pic is not real. It is an artist's rendering mock-up of a fictional Google Nexus D prototype. The fact that it is an illusion does not at all detract from the response that it might engender in you. If you are like me, it gets your mind wandering. Perhaps the reason it gets your imagination neurons firing is actually because it is a fabrication.

Afterall, if it isn't real, then there's no disappointment to be had if we let speculation run rampant. In this instance, the mockup was created by an artist named Dorian Lust (fitting name), and he also had some proposed hardware specs to go along with the artistic flare of its aesthetic design. Below is a breakdown of these features. They are equally as brilliant as the picture itself.
  • Concave touchscreen allows it to nestle in your hand or pocket
  • The kickstand helps you use the device to enjoy high-definition movies and TV
  • The curved screen is also edged by light-up multi-colored LEDs for notifications
  • Quad-core 1.8GHz processor or better
  • 1.5GB of RAM or more
  • 32 or 64GB of storage.
  • Shock-resistant
  • Universal remote for your Home Theater Setup
  • Includes a laser pointer "in case you're doing presentations or pretending you're a deadly sniper."
  • Built-in NFC
  • Enhanced Security with a fingerprint scanner or a cornea (your eyeball) scanner that recognizes your eye
  • The accelerometer can unlock the phone by waving it in a specific motion
  • Back and front radar detection, (not to sure what this is, but maybe something to warn you of traffic cops?)
  • "Will have a variant for farmers features reinforced corners for extra protection and agrarian extras including a moisture meter for checking hay and grain and other farm-type things."
Obviously, the appearance of the phone may not appeal to everyone, and some of those features might have you scratching your head (especially those last two). However, what is most appreciated about this is that if we didn't have folks pushing the boundaries on ideas, then nothing would ever get better. Creativity fuels the drive to move forward. I am thrilled to see what might be coming around the corner next. What new hardware and software ideas can you think of for future smartphones?

Source: CNET

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Radar.. perhaps to help with distracted walking .. lots of injuries from that lately :cool:

The design would definitely help with flex and screen breakage issues...

Willow glass would make this possible.. so would samsungs flexible screen...

Awesome... :)

They should make a gear heads version with an infra red heat scanner on it.. and an obd2-3can app... :D

Last edited:

skywyze

Reaction score
I've wanted a radar detector for so long!

Ever since my Droid 1 I've used my phone with a windshield mount to play music and use hands free. I've always thought, this phone has a lot of receivers, why not a radar/lidar detector as well? That addition alone (yes, I have a lead foot) would be the deal sealer for me.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
google-nexus-d-mockup.jpeg

One of the best things about technology is that it is constantly evolving. Just when you thought things were starting to get stagnant, something new comes along to tickle your imagination. Here's a great example. First, let me make it clear that the above pic is not real. It is an artist's rendering mock-up of a fictional Google Nexus D prototype. The fact that it is an illusion does not at all detract from the response that it might engender in you. If you are like me, it gets your mind wandering. Perhaps the reason it gets your imagination neurons firing is actually because it is a fabrication.

Afterall, if it isn't real, then there's no disappointment to be had if we let speculation run rampant. In this instance, the mockup was created by an artist named Dorian Lust (fitting name), and he also had some proposed hardware specs to go along with the artistic flare of its aesthetic design. Below is a breakdown of these features. They are equally as brilliant as the picture itself.
  • Concave touchscreen allows it to nestle in your hand or pocket
  • The kickstand helps you use the device to enjoy high-definition movies and TV
  • The curved screen is also edged by light-up multi-colored LEDs for notifications
  • Quad-core 1.8GHz processor or better
  • 1.5GB of RAM or more
  • 32 or 64GB of storage.
  • Shock-resistant
  • Universal remote for your Home Theater Setup
  • Includes a laser pointer "in case you're doing presentations or pretending you're a deadly sniper."
  • Built-in NFC
  • Enhanced Security with a fingerprint scanner or a cornea (your eyeball) scanner that recognizes your eye
  • The accelerometer can unlock the phone by waving it in a specific motion
  • Back and front radar detection, (not to sure what this is, but maybe something to warn you of traffic cops?)
  • "Will have a variant for farmers features reinforced corners for extra protection and agrarian extras including a moisture meter for checking hay and grain and other farm-type things."
Obviously, the appearance of the phone may not appeal to everyone, and some of those features might have you scratching your head (especially those last two). However, what is most appreciated about this is that if we didn't have folks pushing the boundaries on ideas, then nothing would ever get better. Creativity fuels the drive to move forward. I am thrilled to see what might be coming around the corner next. What new hardware and software ideas can you think of for future smartphones?

Source: CNET

that looks ugly :icon_eek:.

riko540

Reaction score
I have seen a lot or new Nexus renderings popping up lately. This one looks better than the last one I saw that said it had 8GB of ram. :icon_eek:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ever since my Droid 1 I've used my phone with a windshield mount to play music and use hands free. I've always thought, this phone has a lot of receivers, why not a radar/lidar detector as well? That addition alone (yes, I have a lead foot) would be the deal sealer for me.

maybe there could be a way to make it a radar jammer as well... then you'd be able to go by the cops and they couldn't tell how fast you were going... radar detectors aren't that great because by the time it detects the radar the cop has already seen you... the new systems in their cars will actually pinpoint you before the cop can... it's really rather impressive... therefore a radar jammer would be better

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't like the curved back. When I lay my table on the phone I don't want it to sit there and rock back and forth. I don't want it to be unstable. I want it to lay flat. The two dimples on the flip-out kick stand are there to serve as feet and make the back of the phone quasi-flat but they are too close together, and the other "leg" is the camera's bezel, meaning it will get scratched up and the finish or plating will chip, scratch, tear and wear away as time goes on.

I don't like the position of the kickstand. Placing it on one end puts the pivot point for the phone to tip over near the center of the phone, making it more likely to tip over at the opposite end. The strongest shape is a triangle, and the most stable positions of a 3 legged stool is in equal distances from each other in a true triangle formation. In this situation, the best location for the leg is center. Even though it isn't a perfect triangle, it will be the closest thing to a perfect triangle.

I'm not a fan of curved glass since it acts to bend light. The concave curve of that screen will create a reflection of your face that will be extremely narrow and tall (full height of the glass), and concentrated right down the middle, so that what would normally be a rather muted reflection of you and what is behind you in a rather dull intensity that covers the entire screen will instead be bright and hard to avoid right down the middle. With a flat screen a slight turn removes yourself from the "mirror" image you see on the screen. With a curved screen, turning it either left or right will only cause the image of the reflection to remain in the center of view and move across the screen in the direction of the turn. If you tilt it up or down you'll get the same narrow and long reflection of whatever is directly above or below your face - sky or your shirt.

I do like the additional LED notification lights. The only problem with notification lights is if they aren't devoted to one thing or another, remembering what they represent becomes difficult. Take difficult times 6, and that's what you are looking at now.

There's more but that's the big ones for me.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I like it....all I want in a Droid Nexus from Motorola!!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Mmmmmmm... Droid Nexus....

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I kinda like it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I like it....all I want in a Droid Nexus from Motorola!!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Just about to post this! I wanna a Nexus with an awesome and reliable antenna/ cell radio. Why is that apparently too much to ask for?

armeddroid

Reaction score
I like it as well but as one mentioned, i dont like the curve back like that.
I, too like to lay my phone flat. But aside from that. Its alright.
Like to see more concepts to see what kind of ideas are flowing out there.

npro1464

Reaction score
Take my money!!

Can't wait for the new phones to drop. Going to be a long wait til May when my contract expires!